Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Relocate and work in the carrebean.

Relocate and work in the carrebean.

Old Jul 13th 2014, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

danielboyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocate and work in the carrebean.

Hi all, I wanted to see if I can gain some advice on moving to the carrebean with my wife.
We are open to which island, but wish to get some advice on some easier options.
Here is the scenario:
1)My wife works in beauty and fitness and aims to secure a job first before we move. I aim to set myself up a small sole trader business to do head hunting/ recruitment Into US companies. (I currently do this). I also own a recording studio and produce music, I aim to bring the whole thing with me and set it up if possible.

2) we are British with no ties to any island.

So, I have heard st lucia is an option where you can buy a work permit via official channels for $7,500 roughly. And incorporating a sole trader company is quite easy??

Does anyone have experience with the above, who can help with advise for st lucia or suggest a better option for a location? We are open to different islands.

Thanks!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocate and work in the carrebean.

Caribbean!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Indeed, typo!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danielboyle
Hi all, I wanted to see if I can gain some advice on moving to the carrebean with my wife.
We are open to which island, but wish to get some advice on some easier options.
Here is the scenario:
1)My wife works in beauty and fitness and aims to secure a job first before we move. I aim to set myself up a small sole trader business to do head hunting/ recruitment Into US companies. (I currently do this). I also own a recording studio and produce music, I aim to bring the whole thing with me and set it up if possible.

So, I have heard st lucia is an option where you can buy a work permit via official channels for $7,500 roughly. And incorporating a sole trader company is quite easy??

Does anyone have experience with the above, who can help with advise for st lucia or suggest a better option for a location? We are open to different islands.

Thanks!!!!
You still haven't given up:-). From what I know St Lucia has it's problems. Crime is rising and there have been several violent incidents, like the murder of a British pensioner. Ok, it can happen anywhere, but it is alarming and the unemployment rate is pretty high too (24.9%). Curacao might be worth looking at. Just out of interest, why Caribbean anyway?
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:15 am
Just Joined

We have traveled extensively and really enjoy it. I spend a lot of time in Jamaica too.
Also, it's close to the business I conduct in the US.
We have been after a re location to somewhere hot that can accommodate my wife's profession (prob in the hotels) and provide the lifestyle we want.
I guess we are looking for places thy are easier to get a work visa and set up a business.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We have traveled extensively and really enjoy it. I spend a lot of time in Jamaica too.
Also, it's close to the business I conduct in the US.
We have been after a re location to somewhere hot that can accommodate my wife's profession (prob in the hotels) and provide the lifestyle we want.
I guess we are looking for places thy are easier to get a work visa and set up a business.
Ok, don't forget that Jamaica is huge compared to other islands and depending on the island you could be further away from the US than you think. From some islands it might take you longer to get to the US than from Europe and the costs are high for everything. If you can afford it fine, but will it be a better lifestyle otherwise.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Look in to Panama - they have a NSC visa which allows work and setting up a business. Some minimal criteria like owning some real estate and money in the bank.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Then he might as well consider Belize, which is closer to the US.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

We love the Idea of Panama, we have looked into that. But it's the Island life we are after.
My business requires no travel to the US but we do have other reasons to revoke there.
Does anyone have experience with st lucia, visas and setting up a business?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 2:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Does anyone have experience with st lucia, visas and setting up a business?
Try the St Lucia sub-forum, it is fairly active.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Most islands in the Caribbean set obstacles in the way of foreigners seeking employment, and setting up businesses in competition with locals. Cayman's immigration is generally hostile, and we probably aren't a good place to start, but we're worth a look. Remember to Google the correct name before you come! There's a hell of a difference between "Caribbean" and "carrebean", and it won't do your enquiries much good if you call us "caimenne"...

My advice is to drift around on a long-ish vacation and check out the Caymans, BVI, Antigua, Turks, Grenada and Bahamas. All the cultures are a bit different, one from another.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Try the St Lucia sub-forum, it is fairly active.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the scenario:

Thanks!!!!
I think that you could contact the St Lucia Ministry of Home Affairs to discuss your various venture ideas for work permit purposes via initial contact through Invest St Lucia.

Invest Saint Lucia | National Investment Promotion Agency of St. Lucia | Contacts

I don't see why the authorities wouldn't be amenable to your ideas, except possibly the beauty work for your spouse which conflicts with the interests of St Lucians and other Caricom citizens in that industry here. If she has special skills and experience then maybe the prospects are better.

Somebody set up an English Pub here with local beer and nothing much that one could identify with England and got a work permit for that - it lasted a year, I believe.

BTW, the work permit has to be applied for through those proper official channels rather than just bought, and the cost is EC$7,500.

Obtaining a St. Lucia Work Permit

As has been said on here before, there are risks associated with telling people too much information about your plans, as they can deny you and then rip off the idea for one of their friends but it is a shame to be paranoid about it.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 26th 2014 at 7:21 pm. Reason: As has been said on here before......
Old Jul 27th 2014, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I think that you could contact the St Lucia Ministry of Home Affairs to discuss your various venture ideas for work permit purposes via initial contact through Invest St Lucia.

Invest Saint Lucia | National Investment Promotion Agency of St. Lucia | Contacts

I don't see why the authorities wouldn't be amenable to your ideas, except possibly the beauty work for your spouse which conflicts with the interests of St Lucians and other Caricom citizens in that industry here. If she has special skills and experience then maybe the prospects are better.

Somebody set up an English Pub here with local beer and nothing much that one could identify with England and got a work permit for that - it lasted a year, I believe.

BTW, the work permit has to be applied for through those proper official channels rather than just bought, and the cost is EC$7,500.

Obtaining a St. Lucia Work Permit

As has been said on here before, there are risks associated with telling people too much information about your plans, as they can deny you and then rip off the idea for one of their friends but it is a shame to be paranoid about it.
Hey pete, thanks. Very encouraging answer. My wife's skills are pretty niche, and she may try to organise something with one of the hotel chains.
My business is twofold 1) I wish to bring my recording studio and set it up. I currently produce music and release it globally.
2) I do head hunting with a very specific set of US clients so I don't think either can be ripped off.
I will approach the relevant parties in the link. Thank you.
I'm hoping we can rent a nice place, then look to buy/build in 1-2 years
Old Jul 27th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hey pete, thanks. Very encouraging answer. My wife's skills are pretty niche, and she may try to organise something with one of the hotel chains.
My business is twofold 1) I wish to bring my recording studio and set it up. I currently produce music and release it globally.
2) I do head hunting with a very specific set of US clients so I don't think either can be ripped off.
I will approach the relevant parties in the link. Thank you.
I'm hoping we can rent a nice place, then look to buy/build in 1-2 years
It was item 1 rather than 2 that really gave me concern but the VERY SPECIFIC set of US clients clearly alleviates the possibilities to rip-off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.