Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

PART 2:I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

PART 2:I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

lee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant futurelee.walker1 has a brilliant future
Default PART 2:I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

ive read this original thread and i can say im completely confused as to where a brit can go without all the forms. Im looking/researching at the caribbean/central america areas to set up a small business where is possible.

grenada?
st lucia?
st maartens?
turks and caicos?
mexico?
panama?
costa rico?
belize?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:14 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PART 2:I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally Posted by lee.walker1
ive read this original thread and i can say im completely confused as to where a brit can go without all the forms. Im looking/researching at the caribbean/central america areas to set up a small business where is possible.

grenada?
st lucia?
st maartens?
turks and caicos?
mexico?
panama?
costa rico?
belize?
Well you can forget St Lucia, because you will have to fill out the forms and have proper background checks.
Why should you as a Brit expect to go to another country without them knowing exactly what kind of person they are taking on board ? Think about it, have you got anything to hide ?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice
Default Re: PART 2:I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally Posted by pgtips
Well you can forget St Lucia, because you will have to fill out the forms and have proper background checks.
Why should you as a Brit expect to go to another country without them knowing exactly what kind of person they are taking on board ? Think about it, have you got anything to hide ?
I think the Focus should be the legal status the EU passport grants a holder as a citizen of the EU. With that in mind I think St Martin (the French side) is still considered a part of France and so is Guadaloupe my limited internet research suggests holders of an EU passports require no onward air ticket when they arrive there. So in your search try to google for travel restrictions in Caribbean nations about EU passports and the requirement of an onward or return ticket. Some places do not require EU passport holders to have a return ticket when they land because of the free movement agreement of people within the EU (If I understand that section of the agreement correctly).

But I could be wrong and would be happy if sometime else would point out the error of my conclusions. For me St. Martin looks like it would be a suitable location to relocate with an EU passport in hand.
(I think)

from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea..._where_euro-26

"The territory of the EU consists of the combined territories of its 27 member states with some exceptions outlined below. The territory of the EU is not the same as that of Europe, as parts of the continent are outside the EU, such as Switzerland, Norway and European Russia. Some parts of member countries are not part of the EU, despite forming part of the European continent (for example the Channel Islands and Faroe Islands). Several territories associated with member states that are outside geographic Europe are also not part of the EU (such as Greenland, Aruba, the Netherlands Antilles and all the non-European territories associated with the United Kingdom). Some overseas territories are part of the EU even if they are not geographically part of Europe, such as the Azores, the Canary Islands, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Madeira, Martinique, Réunion, Saint Barthélemy and Saint Martin.[25][26][27]"

more here:

this is interesting:

http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?article379

Entry and residence of EU Nationals
British citizens intending to live in France should have a valid passport (only nationals from Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands can seek employment upon production of their national Identity Card). As for other EU nationals, a work permit or a visa is no longer necessary. However, please note that British citizens native of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not regarded as EU citizens
.According to EU law, EU nationals have up to 3 months to apply for a "Carte de séjour de ressortissant de l’Union Européenne" (EU resident permit) at the "Préfecture" or "Commissariat de Police" (Police Station) of your place of residence. The "Carte de séjour" will be granted upon production of:
A valid passport A birth certificates or a marriage certificate, and proof of accommodation) Proof that you pay contributions to the French Social Security scheme 3 passport photographs A contract of employment or the necessary authorisations from the Chamber of Commerce in case of self-employment Or if you are retired a proof that you receive a state pension (from France or your home country) Or if you are student, a proof that you have registered with a French University
Or if you are married to a French National, a copy of your marriage certificate
If you are staying for a limited duration, a resident permit will be issued for this period of time, after which your situation will be re-examined.
If you are planning to stay on a permanent basis, a resident permit will be issued for 5 years. After these 5 years, your permit can be renewed for 10 more years if you are still employed on permanent basis.
Please note that the right of residence - granted with the resident permit - can be extended to the permit holder’s spouse; dependant descendants under 21, dependants ascendants and spouse’s ascendants.

Therefore according to this St Barths and Saint Martin ARE a part of France and the EU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_...Collectivities

Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy
In 2003 the population of Saint Martin and Saint Barthélemy voted in favour of secession from Guadeloupe in order to form separate overseas collectivities of France.[2] On February 7, 2007, the French Parliament passed a bill granting COM status to both Saint Barthélemy and neighbouring Saint Martin. [3] The new status took effect on 22 February 2007 when the law was published in the Journal Officiel.[4] They remain part of the European Union, as explicitly stated in the Treaty of Lisbon.[5]

The question boils down to what is part of the EU and what is not:

here is some more web info: (if you can wait the Dutch will welcome you in Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius on Dec 15 2008 when the rules change :-)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=543111&page=7

^ The French Guiana is part of the EU (outermost region), as well as all other French overseas departments Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion, and also the overseas Collectivity of Saint Martin (until February 22, 2007 it was part of Guadeloupe), which just stayed in the EU. But other French dependent areas aren't.

The Netherlands Antilles aren't in the EU and is to be disbanded on December 15, 2008, when part of them (Sint Maarten and Curaçao) will become associated states within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, whereas the rest of them (Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius) will become a direct part of the Netherlands as special municipalities, and thus also become parts of the EU! So, welcome!

Last edited by akatomw; Apr 16th 2008 at 10:12 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

Great post, I am pleased that this subject has been refreshed.