British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   New User looking to move to Grenada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/new-user-looking-move-grenada-685697/)

gabsey Sep 16th 2010 12:56 pm

New User looking to move to Grenada

Hi,
I am still contemplating what I need to do to move to Grenada. I am a national and have citizenship through my parents and I did buy some land 5 years ago but the dream of bulding has soured as it is so expensive for materials etcand frankly I do not thing it is worth it so I am considering just renting my house in England and then renting wherever I want in Grenada and wondered if anyone else has done this. I am even in the process of seeling the land right now as I do not want to tie up all my cash.
Any one else like this approach or living it right now??
Regards
gabsey

Sue Sep 16th 2010 1:03 pm

Re: New User looking to move to Grenada

Hi Gabsey,

A big welcome to BE, I am very happy you have become a member and I hope you enjoy being part of our community. If you ever have any site questions please do not hesitate to contact myself or one of our moderators. You can also post any site questions or concerns in our Site Feedback forum.

Unfortunately I can't help you with your questions as I live in the US, but one of our members has recently posted some wonderful information about Grenada here. Which may start you off in the right direction. I'm sure if you have any other questions Spice Islander will be able to give you some further tips.

pgtips Sep 18th 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by gabsey (Post 8852854)
Hi,
I am still contemplating what I need to do to move to Grenada. I am a national and have citizenship through my parents and I did buy some land 5 years ago but the dream of bulding has soured as it is so expensive for materials etcand frankly I do not thing it is worth it so I am considering just renting my house in England and then renting wherever I want in Grenada and wondered if anyone else has done this. I am even in the process of seeling the land right now as I do not want to tie up all my cash.
Any one else like this approach or living it right now??
Regards
gabsey

This sounds familiar, simialr situation with land, however I am not sure about selling as I have been told you never sell your land in the Caribbean. The way I see it is at least land does not need maintaing, generally goes up in value. I inherited a house in St Lucia, and this needs constant maintenance.

I also would be very reluctant to sell up my house in England. If you sell up, and you ever want to come back, you may find it very hard to get back on the property ladder again especially if you need to get a mortgage.

I would say if you can, rent your UK house out, go and rent in Grenada for a few months or a year and see if you are ready to move there permanently.
Also see if you will be able to make enough of a living to cover your basic bills and add to your retirement fund. Why not just keep the land banked as your nest egg for the future, for when you can no longer work, and really need this money. Alternatively you may go across there and find a builder who can build you a reasonably sized house for a fair price. you may just have to settle for a slightly smaller house now, but one that will be adequate for your needs.

gabsey Sep 19th 2010 7:40 pm

How much would you expect to pay to build a 3 bed 2 bath home? say 1700 square feet on stilts. 2 years ago it was $275 US I think per square feet to include everything but I am not sure if that has changed now . My cousin in Grenada was saying something about concrete and steel prices coming down to get construction started again. You are right though about getting a good builder and a good price, somehow as I am based abroad I do not think I am being quoted competitive prices so maybe I need to shop around a bit more.
I think that you may just have goaded me into keeping the dream alive, I have a spot just near Prickly Bay and having a home here would be great .
I will see how estimates differ I suppose there should be a lot of competion now.
Thanks
Gabsey

pgtips Sep 20th 2010 7:16 am

Originally Posted by gabsey (Post 8859993)
How much would you expect to pay to build a 3 bed 2 bath home? say 1700 square feet on stilts. 2 years ago it was $275 US I think per square feet to include everything but I am not sure if that has changed now . My cousin in Grenada was saying something about concrete and steel prices coming down to get construction started again. You are right though about getting a good builder and a good price, somehow as I am based abroad I do not think I am being quoted competitive prices so maybe I need to shop around a bit more.
I think that you may just have goaded me into keeping the dream alive, I have a spot just near Prickly Bay and having a home here would be great .
I will see how estimates differ I suppose there should be a lot of competion now.
Thanks
Gabsey

Gabsey, building cost in Grenada has always been comparable with the cost of building in St Lucia, similar islands and terrains. The cost of building should be no more than about 200-250 ec. That is a big difference from $275 us.
You have to be so careful who you are dealing with because sometimes they think because you are UK based you are loaded. You really have to be on the island and get at least 2 or 3 quotes. Also ask to see some of their previous work. I hope you keep your spot because one day it may just become a gold mine, and you may find it hard to buy a nice spot at a decent price again.

Once you have your land and your citizenship you are almost there and what could be more fulfilling than having a home which is surrounded by your heritage in one of the most beautiful islands in the world.

Check this link out for building cost in Grenada http://www.buildgrenada.com/costs.shtml

gabsey Sep 26th 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for this advice. I have thought about this and been in touch with a builder and seen that there has been a reduction on sand cement and steel now and 235 EC being quoted which is so much more affordable. My brtohr will be in Grenada next week and he is looking to build as he has just bought some land and I will now definitely be doing the same .
Thanks so much for the inspiration and yes living with my heritage is a great ambition to have.
Thanks
Gabsey

gabsey Oct 25th 2010 11:19 am

Hi,
Thought that after the good solid advice I would send an update. Plans are in progress so looking to move pretty quickly on that as I know exactly what I want and have found a reasonable builder and engaged the bank who have responded pretty quickly so all systems go. The only thing that I am no to too sure about is furnishing the property and how much that will cost. It is 3 berroom 2 bath Living Dinining Room, Kitchen Pantry and Veranda. O know that I can pick up a lot of stuff in packages here in England and ship it however I could buy in Grenada. Are there any other alternatives? I am just looking for good quality goos. I took a look at Courts website and the prices are a lot more thatn it costs in England so if any one has experience in this then let me know please.

pgtips Oct 29th 2010 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by gabsey (Post 8940758)
Hi,
Thought that after the good solid advice I would send an update. Plans are in progress so looking to move pretty quickly on that as I know exactly what I want and have found a reasonable builder and engaged the bank who have responded pretty quickly so all systems go. The only thing that I am no to too sure about is furnishing the property and how much that will cost. It is 3 berroom 2 bath Living Dinining Room, Kitchen Pantry and Veranda. O know that I can pick up a lot of stuff in packages here in England and ship it however I could buy in Grenada. Are there any other alternatives? I am just looking for good quality goos. I took a look at Courts website and the prices are a lot more thatn it costs in England so if any one has experience in this then let me know please.

Not sure about prices in Grenada, but you should check if you will be able to bring stuff into the island duty free. You will have far more choice if you bring your own stuff. Wardrobes you can have built in. You may even be able to bring a vehicle in duty free if you are a returning national, but again you will have to check with customs.

gabsey Jul 8th 2011 11:17 pm

Well 9 months later and I thought I should report back as I am please with the results and now have a house in the Grenada. Building started in January and I am going out to complete in a few weeks. This will be my fourth trip and I am really really please with the results. Ended up with 3 bed 4 bath each room with its own veranda , front veranda and rear veranda.

Going to look to rent it long term to sort a few things out in England first. Prickly Bay is a great area and I love the Chinese restaurant and the Boatyard restaurant and daily trips to the sea 5 minutes away.

Here is a link to pictures of the results and thanks for the advice. https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...l2kUDRDaVQs%24

pgtips Jul 9th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by gabsey (Post 9484221)
Well 9 months later and I thought I should report back as I am please with the results and now have a house in the Grenada. Building started in January and I am going out to complete in a few weeks. This will be my fourth trip and I am really really please with the results. Ended up with 3 bed 4 bath each room with its own veranda , front veranda and rear veranda.

Going to look to rent it long term to sort a few things out in England first. Prickly Bay is a great area and I love the Chinese restaurant and the Boatyard restaurant and daily trips to the sea 5 minutes away.

Here is a link to pictures of the results and thanks for the advice. https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...l2kUDRDaVQs%24

Wow Gabsey !!! You don't mess about, I am so pleased for you. This is quite inspirational. If I am ever in Grenada I hope you don't me having a sip of wine on that veranda of yours. Well done !!!

Orangepants Jul 9th 2011 5:05 pm

Wow that is beautiful - well done and from afar aswell. You must have had great trust in your builder. Congratulations.
We built our house in Lake Wylie whilst in Cayman and I had to constantly kick the builder's ass!

gabsey Jul 10th 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 9485270)
Wow that is beautiful - well done and from afar aswell. You must have had great trust in your builder. Congratulations.
We built our house in Lake Wylie whilst in Cayman and I had to constantly kick the builder's ass!

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 9485124)
Wow Gabsey !!! You don't mess about, I am so pleased for you. This is quite inspirational. If I am ever in Grenada I hope you don't me having a sip of wine on that veranda of yours. Well done !!!

The contractor had built for my family previously and actually lives just down the road so I am sure that helped also. I had an architect overssee the early stages also but once the structural things were done I managed it myself. I made 3 trips there and some things changed but with the internet and pictures taken for each stage any issues resolved quickly. The contractor was not used to this level of contact but by the end of the project he appreciated it and was sending me pictures to show me how proud he was of what he built!!

gabsey Jul 10th 2011 9:58 am

Originally Posted by gabsey (Post 9486214)
The contractor had built for my family previously and actually lives just down the road so I am sure that helped also. I had an architect overssee the early stages also but once the structural things were done I managed it myself. I made 3 trips there and some things changed but with the internet and pictures taken for each stage any issues resolved quickly. The contractor was not used to this level of contact but by the end of the project he appreciated it and was sending me pictures to show me how proud he was of what he built!!

PG tips we will only be drinking RUM!!

unwind Aug 7th 2011 4:27 pm

Hey Gabsey, Had to reply having read the thread.

I think I may have been in in your house while I was on holiday last month.
Let me explain, I am in the building game and went for a drive on a Sunday morning and drove by a near completed house with the builder standing outside, I stopped to have a chat about building techniques and he gave me a quick look inside.
He was originally from Guyana and as you mentioned he told me he had a house at the top of the road near the windmill. After looking at the pictures I'm sure it was your house. Beautiful home and one of the best locations.
It was our familys first time in Grenada and we really enjoyed it and would love to have a house there some day.
We are from Ireland BTW, "it's a small world".

gabsey Aug 7th 2011 5:17 pm

Oh wow this is amazing, Yes that would be Rafiqu the builder and he has done a great job for me and some other people also. I returned a couple of weeks ago from another trip as looking to rent it out now. I am glad that you enjoyed Grenada I love it there and looking to make more use of my home.
Ha Rafiqu is also not one to get some free advertising either!! I have tries to post the house for advertising for this site and put something in a whole back but has not posted yet. The house is just pending external fencing and landscaping which is draggin on a bit but I hope to get this sorted soon. take a look at the links below and see if anything has changed since your visit it may have. Maybe next time you can stay here!!

http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/villadonna/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u19tUijl3Tc