Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Turks and Caicos

Moving to Turks and Caicos

Old Aug 10th 2018, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

madillio is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend may be getting a job in Turks and Caicos soon so I'm trying to find out some info incase we end up moving there.

I am a British citizen so I was wondering what I need to move there. Am I able to just show up? Do I need to get a job first before moving there? From what I've learned I don't need a visa to visit, so what do I need to move? Me and my boyfriend aren't married so I need to know if I can get there without a work visa or a family visa. I know that I need a work permit to work there but do I need a work permit to live there? Also would me and my boyfriend be allowed to live together, as we aren't married?

I've tried finding this stuff out but cant really find any insight so any info you can give me would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

Any help at all would be so appreciated! You can message me or reply on this thread I dont mind, just really looking for some help asap

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 10th 2018 at 4:46 pm. Reason: Posts merged - please just edit your post if you think of something else you want to add, thx.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Turks and Caicos

I can't say for certain, but since TCI is a British colony and so is Cayman, the rules there are likely to be similar to the rules here. Here, you would be allowed in as a visitor, for a month, extendable for another month probably. If you found a job you would need your own Work Permit. You would never be regarded as "family", without your marriage lines. Being British gives you no advantage over anybody else.

Years ago I knew two girls who changed their surnames (in England) by Deed Poll to the surnames of their boyfriends, and fooled the authorities that way. I don't think they would get away with it today, but you never know. One of the couples actually got married here; I remember reading the banns posted on the public notice board outside the court house.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I can't say for certain, but since TCI is a British colony and so is Cayman, the rules there are likely to be similar to the rules here. Here, you would be allowed in as a visitor, for a month, extendable for another month probably. If you found a job you would need your own Work Permit. You would never be regarded as "family", without your marriage lines. Being British gives you no advantage over anybody else.

Years ago I knew two girls who changed their surnames (in England) by Deed Poll to the surnames of their boyfriends, and fooled the authorities that way. I don't think they would get away with it today, but you never know. One of the couples actually got married here; I remember reading the banns posted on the public notice board outside the court house.
Thank you This might not be a popular opinion but it really does suck how hard it is for people to emigrate. Doesn’t make sense to me that people have so much entitlement to a country they just happened to be born in. It’s been very sad for me to see how cruel British people are being regarding immigration. It’s making it very hard for me and my boyfriend to stay together as he is not from the EU.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 10:23 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Its sort of like this - as ted kennedy said - ask not what my country can do for me - ask what i can do for my country.

Small caribbean countries may be rich or poor financially, but they are all very rich in climate, population and usually nature/loveliness.

Loads of holidaymakers have this fantasy about their caribbean island without ever stopping to rhink about the high cost of being there or how them being there might deny a local person a job or whether they are acceptable to the locals. Many islanders dont want you to be there, they and their governments may be prejudiced against the colour of your skin or accent.

Normally only people with specific skills in a few areas are wanted, and they are sometimes only allowed to live there for a few years. Having real roots or a connection by blood helps in some islands, but not all.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madillio
This might not be a popular opinion but it really does suck how hard it is for people to emigrate. Doesn’t make sense to me that people have so much entitlement to a country they just happened to be born in. It’s been very sad for me to see how cruel British people are being regarding immigration. It’s making it very hard for me and my boyfriend to stay together as he is not from the EU.
Well, this is probably a topic for this forum's "Take it Outside" section, Madillio, what with all the excessive migration going on from Africa to Europe these days. The Caribbean islands are just as reluctant to be overrun by foreigners as the European nations. The Cayman Islands - and perhaps the Turks & Caicos too - are often the first port of call for Cuban boat-people seeking a better life, but our authorities just push them on their way on their ramshackle boats. How many die at sea is not known and not cared about, sadly. If they actually land here, they fly them back to Havana. The rules are made by the UK's Foreign & Commonwealth Office (formerly the Colonial Office), but the locals in general are content with them. It's one of the insoluble problems of the age, isn't it?
Old Aug 12th 2018, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why assume that you can move anywhere you fancy without restrictions and without paperwork. That may have been the case 150 years ago. It is not today.

Your "boyfriend" MAY be going to Turks and Caicos. Why assume that you can move with him ? In most countries people do not live together unless they are married ! That was the case in GB not long ago and it is still the rule in many jurisdictions.

And then you cannot make tha leap from that to assuming that you can get a job there. Every counytry on this Planet has restrictions on foreigners getting permission to work. Priority is always given to locals.

Last edited by scot47; Aug 12th 2018 at 4:09 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Madillio - you didn't say what kind of job your bf may be doing in the Islands, or what his skills are, or what yours are. It might be worth while to tell us all that. As Our Man In Grenada says, it might make a difference to your prospects.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Its sort of like this - as ted kennedy said - ask not what my country can do for me - ask what i can do for my country.

Small caribbean countries may be rich or poor financially, but they are all very rich in climate, population and usually nature/loveliness.

Loads of holidaymakers have this fantasy about their caribbean island without ever stopping to rhink about the high cost of being there or how them being there might deny a local person a job or whether they are acceptable to the locals. Many islanders dont want you to be there, they and their governments may be prejudiced against the colour of your skin or accent.

Normally only people with specific skills in a few areas are wanted, and they are sometimes only allowed to live there for a few years. Having real roots or a connection by blood helps in some islands, but not all.
The airport in Providenciales is considering hiring him as he’s an aircraft engineer but I have to say I’m pretty useless so I’m not sure I’d be hugely wanted there
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Madillio - you didn't say what kind of job your bf may be doing in the Islands, or what his skills are, or what yours are. It might be worth while to tell us all that. As Our Man In Grenada says, it might make a difference to your prospects.
He’d be working as an aircraft engineer. However I really don’t have many skills lol. I work for my local government right now doing case work and general secretary work so I’m pretty much useless
Old Aug 12th 2018, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Why assume that you can move anywhere you fancy without restrictions and without paperwork. That may have been the case 150 years ago. It is not today.

Your "boyfriend" MAY be going to Turks and Caicos. Why assume that you can move with him ? In most countries people do not live together unless they are married ! That was the case in GB not long ago and it is still the rule in many jurisdictions.

And then you cannot make tha leap from that to assuming that you can get a job there. Every counytry on this Planet has restrictions on foreigners getting permission to work. Priority is always given to locals.
I’m sorry if I came across entitled, I was really just looking for answers as I was confused. As Turks and Caicos is British overseas territory I wasn’t sure if me being British myself would make it easier to move there. I really didn’t mean to offend anyone and I wasn’t assuming anything, which is why I was asking for help
Old Aug 12th 2018, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

He’d be working as an aircraft engineer. However I really don’t have many skills lol. I work for my local government right now doing case work and general secretary work so I’m pretty much useless
Hey, think positive, girl! You have years of experience in clerical positions - and maybe some valuable computer skills as well. Even in the colonies, employers need experienced clerks - especially if they can spell correctly - and foreign immigrants tend to be more conscientious than locals about giving a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. See what you can find online.
Turks & Caicos Islands Newspapers & News Media - ABYZ News Links
Old Aug 16th 2018, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Hey, think positive, girl! You have years of experience in clerical positions - and maybe some valuable computer skills as well. Even in the colonies, employers need experienced clerks - especially if they can spell correctly - and foreign immigrants tend to be more conscientious than locals about giving a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. See what you can find online.
Turks & Caicos Islands Newspapers & News Media - ABYZ News Links
thank you I appreciate the help
Old Aug 16th 2018, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Let him get the job. You will find it easier if you have a marriage certificate. Sorry if that is "old-fashioned" or sexist but it is the truth.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Let him get the job. You will find it easier if you have a marriage certificate. Sorry if that is "old-fashioned" or sexist but it is the truth.
Yeah I think that’s the only way really. Though I feel like maybe people like me aren’t exactly wanted there which is fine and I understand that. Lots of thinking to do
Old Oct 16th 2018, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

skip84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I think that’s the only way really. Though I feel like maybe people like me aren’t exactly wanted there which is fine and I understand that. Lots of thinking to do
Sorry for the delay ! on island time... current TCI resident and i nearly went through something similiar.

Quick facts
You can visit for up to 30 days on a visitors visa. You can extend this to 90 days by request
You cannot stay past the visitor's visa or you are technically illegal. you can go to America for a quick weekend and the visitor visa's restarts on your return.
You will need to you a work permit to work any job, work permits are given out on merits not necessarily experience. So you need to have a qualification to your name.
You may find it lonely if you arent working and the cost of living here is pretty high so it is dependent upon your boyfriends salary what your lifestyle would be (sad but true)
You can apply for a TRC which is a temporary residence certificate but you need to prove that you have sufficient income to support yourself, you could make the case if you are a signature on your boyfriends local account. This visa is $1,000 per year.

Let me know if you need anything further !

Skip