Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

Moving to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

Old May 5th 2022, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

clockbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

Originally Posted by skip84
how expensive the used car market is
how hard it is to find long term rental accommodation
how expensive it is to import things and how long it takes things to arrive.
Buying a car is something that I’m not financially able to commit to straight away, I’ve heard it’s not easy to come across a cheap runaround!

I understand that groceries are imported from the US, what if anything do you miss from home?
Old May 5th 2022, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

skip84 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheap ripe avocados? haha

The only thing I probably miss is decent cadbury's chocolate.. other than that I've been here 6 years so you learn to do without.

if you arent able to commit to a car make sure you have an idea of how you are going to get around as we don't have public transport.

I'll DM you.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 12:19 am
Just Joined

Popping back here to say hello again! I’m about six weeks out from moving, my visa and medical bumf have been mailed and my employer has sourced me a lovely place to live in Thompson Cove.
Things seem to be falling into place but once I’ve booked that one-way flight I’ll know it’s really happening!
Old Jun 1st 2022, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Kimmy1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck. Great news. I’ve been here 10 months now. Thompson cove is a nice area. And not far from Mango reef. One of my favorite bars/restaurants Feel free to pm me if you need any help or info
Old Jun 4th 2022, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kimmy1973
Good luck. Great news. I’ve been here 10 months now. Thompson cove is a nice area. And not far from Mango reef. One of my favorite bars/restaurants Feel free to pm me if you need any help or info
Thank you so much Kimmy, I’m super excited!
I believe I searched for you on Facebook a while ago, maybe we can connect somewhere? Hopefully I’ll bump into you at Mango Reef 🤞🏻
I hope you’re staying safe and cool
Old Aug 9th 2022, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Padddyd123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody. Just joined as i have been offered, and accepted a job offer in Provo.my question is in relation to my wife coming with me. She is a teacher, would it be easier for her to come as my spouse on my visa and look for a teaching role while on the island, or wait in the uk and look for a role from the uk, and then come over on her own visa, permit.My medical and visa is being sorted by my employer, but they have asked if my wife is coming over on it also.Any advice would be much appreciated
Old Aug 9th 2022, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Generally its easier to find work once on island. Get her to check out the international school here as they are usually after teachers.
Old Aug 9th 2022, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Padddyd123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skip84
Generally its easier to find work once on island. Get her to check out the international school here as they are usually after teachers.
Thanks skip. My employer has agreed to put my wife on my visa spplication also. But am i right in saying this will only allow her to be on the island, and not to work. When she gets a teaching job, she will have to obtain her own visa? Can this be done whilst living in Turks, or would she need to go off Island
Old Aug 9th 2022, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Correct, being endorsed on your visa only allows her to be resident on Island, it does not provide the right to work;
When she gets a job she will have her own work permit that conveys the right to work;
depends on the employer, but a quick trip to Miami would suffice as being off island and obtaining the permit on entry, however, a lot of the time this is not necessary.
Old Oct 30th 2022, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

paloma81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jumping on this thread as it seems to be the most recent.
Our family is also looking to relocate to Provo. We have Caribbean experience (BVI) but I was hoping to get some information specific to TCI.
We have two kids; 8 and 11. The International school looks great but I see it only goes to grade 9 I think? What do people do with their kids after they age out of it? Concerned that we would have to relocate again at that point.
Thanks so much,
paloma
Old Dec 7th 2022, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

i dont have kids but havent heard anything bad? a lot of people choose boarding school for their kids though
Old Feb 17th 2023, 2:01 am
Just Joined

haruki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paloma81
Jumping on this thread as it seems to be the most recent.
Our family is also looking to relocate to Provo. We have Caribbean experience (BVI) but I was hoping to get some information specific to TCI.
We have two kids; 8 and 11. The International school looks great but I see it only goes to grade 9 I think? What do people do with their kids after they age out of it? Concerned that we would have to relocate again at that point.
Thanks so much,
paloma
Hi Paloma,

The British West Indies collegiate is the next stop for most after the International School. They go all the way through to iGCSE (years 7 through 11) and A Levels if necessary (years 12 and 13). My daughter is a student here - it's a good school but not cheap - try to get included some or all of the cost in your package.

Cheers,
Old Feb 20th 2023, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Catherine Harris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moving to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but it has been a really useful read so far and I have a few other questions if anyone can help me.

We are potentially looking to move to TCI this summer for my husband's job with our teenager and are trying to work out if we can actually do the move financially. We have been told that health insurance would be $300 per month - does anyone know if this is for the whole family or individually?

We are also looking at the Collegiate for schooling but I can't see any up to date prices on the website and have yet to hear back from the school. Does anyone know roughly how much this is likely to be per month?

Lastly, and probably most importantly at this stage, I run my own business in the UK. If I were to come across on my husband's work visa, does anyone know whether I would be allowed to keep on working for my UK company (I'm the only employee of this small Ltd company) and being paid in the UK? I can't seem to find anything that directly answers this question online. It's really clerical work only, so I would just be on my laptop in the apartment, working part time.

Thanks so much for any advice!
Old Mar 1st 2023, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Catherine Harris
I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but it has been a really useful read so far and I have a few other questions if anyone can help me.

We are potentially looking to move to TCI this summer for my husband's job with our teenager and are trying to work out if we can actually do the move financially. We have been told that health insurance would be $300 per month - does anyone know if this is for the whole family or individually?

We are also looking at the Collegiate for schooling but I can't see any up to date prices on the website and have yet to hear back from the school. Does anyone know roughly how much this is likely to be per month?

Lastly, and probably most importantly at this stage, I run my own business in the UK. If I were to come across on my husband's work visa, does anyone know whether I would be allowed to keep on working for my UK company (I'm the only employee of this small Ltd company) and being paid in the UK? I can't seem to find anything that directly answers this question online. It's really clerical work only, so I would just be on my laptop in the apartment, working part time.

Thanks so much for any advice!
Sorry I cant help with the first 2 questions as I don't have children, but I would suggest giving the collegiate a call.

not to be taken as advice, but if you're endorsed on your husbands work permit then you confirm that you will not take up gainful employment in the islands. technically you arent as you're employed in the UK. As long as you arent seen to be taking away jobs from the local population I don't think they would care.
Old Mar 4th 2023, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Catherine Harris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your advice. That's really helpful to know as it would certainly make us moving there so much less complicated. I have heard back from the school now too. Just to consider that we probably need to pay for her to take the entrance exam before we could even accept a position so we're not left with a job but no school!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.