Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

Moving to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

Old Aug 9th 2021, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Kimmy1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Providenciales, Turks & Caicos

Thanks. I will DM xx
Old Dec 29th 2021, 11:32 am
Just Joined

haruki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread, and not considered rude or hijacking.

I'm just wondering if Bristolian (thread starter) or Kimmy made it to Provo in the end, and if they're settling in ok?

We're also on the precipice of move to TCI (Provo too), and I'm awaiting for my WP to finish processing. All being well, I will be moving with my wife and 12 year old daughter (and cat!). It would be my wife and I's second time around of living in TCI, although not on Provo previously.

I guess now the move is getting closer I'm interested to hear how things are in the islands at the moment, and if anyone has experience living there with a child of similar age to ours? I think she will adapt just fine, but obviously it's a big transition for her, and I'm anxious that she'll be bored if not enough for her to do. Does anyone on these exalted pages have experience or can offer some insight? I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2021, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Good morning from Providenciales! Yes I got here I’ve been here for four months now and absolutely love it. There are challenges. Everything is on island time. Red tape and bureaucracy is crazy. Nothing is straight forward and cost of living is through the roof! But when you get your days off and your on a pristine beach all the troubles and frustrations just melt away! I have a great group of friends one of them has a son (11 I think) kids here are so welcoming.DM anytime xx
Old Dec 29th 2021, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Kimmy. Really glad to hear you're settling in well and enjoying life in the TCI.

My work permit application is still processing and has taken an age so far. From our previous stint in TCI, we were prepared for the delays and red tape, but it seems the pandemic has taken this to a whole new level! Patience a virtue I guess, and I hope we'll be able to finalize our plans soon. I will take you up on the offer and drop you a DM too.

Last edited by haruki; Dec 29th 2021 at 1:21 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2021, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

My paperwork was couriered across in June. I arrived 19th Aug and started my RN post on NICU the 23rd August. I still don’t have my work permit 🙄
it’s only because they have an agreement with the government that I can work whilst waiting lol
Old Jan 12th 2022, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

skip84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haruki
Hi,

Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread, and not considered rude or hijacking.

I'm just wondering if Bristolian (thread starter) or Kimmy made it to Provo in the end, and if they're settling in ok?

We're also on the precipice of move to TCI (Provo too), and I'm awaiting for my WP to finish processing. All being well, I will be moving with my wife and 12 year old daughter (and cat!). It would be my wife and I's second time around of living in TCI, although not on Provo previously.

I guess now the move is getting closer I'm interested to hear how things are in the islands at the moment, and if anyone has experience living there with a child of similar age to ours? I think she will adapt just fine, but obviously it's a big transition for her, and I'm anxious that she'll be bored if not enough for her to do. Does anyone on these exalted pages have experience or can offer some insight? I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks
Hey Haruki!

medium-term resident, albeit childless.

I assume previously you may have lived in GT? TCIG is currently backed up with a load of office closures due to covid so work permits are taking slightly longer than usual, not sure who your employer is but they should have someone they know that can push it through and it shouldn't take longer than 2 months max , or even a month if its fast tracked.

life has been relatively normal here since July 2020 with minimal restrictions and everything is open and has been for a while.

with you daughter I'm sure she will make friends at school and compared to GT or the other islands there are a bunch of activities for kids including horse riding lessons (pony club at provo ponies), Brazilian jiu jitsu, tennis, and hockey to name a few.

As soon as you arrive I'm sure you will be welcomed by other parents but that's just my 2 cents. let me know if you have any other queries.
Old Jan 14th 2022, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by skip84
Hey Haruki!

medium-term resident, albeit childless.

I assume previously you may have lived in GT? TCIG is currently backed up with a load of office closures due to covid so work permits are taking slightly longer than usual, not sure who your employer is but they should have someone they know that can push it through and it shouldn't take longer than 2 months max , or even a month if its fast tracked.

life has been relatively normal here since July 2020 with minimal restrictions and everything is open and has been for a while.

with you daughter I'm sure she will make friends at school and compared to GT or the other islands there are a bunch of activities for kids including horse riding lessons (pony club at provo ponies), Brazilian jiu jitsu, tennis, and hockey to name a few.

As soon as you arrive I'm sure you will be welcomed by other parents but that's just my 2 cents. let me know if you have any other queries.
Hey Skip!

Happy Friday! Thanks for the reply and info, all very helpful.

During our previous stint in TCi we were on one of the small private islands, about 45 mins boat ride from Provo. So, although we've never lived on Provo we did spend allot of our downtime and R&R there - we were young and child free back then so could get away with doing two nights at Club Med on the all inclusive wrist bands! Niiki Beach was still a thing back then too.

I think allot of the hold up has been with the Ministry of Health rather than Immigration. There has been a great deal of going back and forth with paperwork and getting all correct etc. It seems we're getting there with it now though and will hopefully have a date in the diary soon, which will be great for all of us as it's getting tricky having our lives on hold.

Thanks for your words of encouragement about my daughter. I'm hoping she will really enjoy the outdoor living element of being there, and really embrace the activities that she would not be able to do in the UK, she's a great swimmer so I'm sure she'll try snorkeling and perhaps diving. Tennis is a good shout too - I have to drag her to the court at the moment because of the grim weather!

Nice to hear things have been calm on the virus front since 2020 - polar opposite to here of course. Are they pushing third dose / booster on island? Any issues with Omicron?
Old Jan 14th 2022, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by haruki
Hey Skip!

Happy Friday! Thanks for the reply and info, all very helpful.

During our previous stint in TCi we were on one of the small private islands, about 45 mins boat ride from Provo. So, although we've never lived on Provo we did spend allot of our downtime and R&R there - we were young and child free back then so could get away with doing two nights at Club Med on the all inclusive wrist bands! Niiki Beach was still a thing back then too.

I think allot of the hold up has been with the Ministry of Health rather than Immigration. There has been a great deal of going back and forth with paperwork and getting all correct etc. It seems we're getting there with it now though and will hopefully have a date in the diary soon, which will be great for all of us as it's getting tricky having our lives on hold.

Thanks for your words of encouragement about my daughter. I'm hoping she will really enjoy the outdoor living element of being there, and really embrace the activities that she would not be able to do in the UK, she's a great swimmer so I'm sure she'll try snorkeling and perhaps diving. Tennis is a good shout too - I have to drag her to the court at the moment because of the grim weather!

Nice to hear things have been calm on the virus front since 2020 - polar opposite to here of course. Are they pushing third dose / booster on island? Any issues with Omicron?
Happy Friday!

so Parrot Cay or Pine Cay then, things have definitely changed since the nikki beach days ! we now have a Ritz Carlton haha club med is still going on and is still a lot of fun if you can deal with the resulting hangover.. but its great value for money for a day pass with activities and food.

Ministry of health recently had someone new join I'm told that has slightly changed the requirements for health certificates so perhaps that's the hold up.. its generally easier to get your medicals done on island instead of outside as on island medical professionals are more versed in the TCI criteria.. fingers crossed you get this resolved in short order..

there is always something to do here and as soon as she settles into school I'm sure things would go pretty well, especially if she likes the beach.

not pushing the booster but its there if you want it. i caught cover in jan 2021 and it wasn't pleasant, this was also pre vaccine, I've since been vaccinated and boosted.

since NYE a big uptick in cases, we used to have under 20 cases as a rolling number, after nye we now have 800 or so but not many hospitalisations and the people that I know that have it / had it say its just a cold nothing more. I don't believe we will have any sort of lock down etc..

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 19th 2022, 10:22 am
Just Joined

clockbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Resurrecting the conversation just as not to start another similar thread!

I am moving to Provo mid-July, currently in the middle of arranging all manner of checks for my work permit!

I’m not able to find much in the way of groups or chats for those who have moved out to Provo so I thought I’d say a quick hello in case anyone hung out around these parts still!!
Old Apr 19th 2022, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Hi. I have been living here 8 months now. Feel free to DM me xx
Old Apr 20th 2022, 6:55 am
Just Joined

That’s super kind of you Kimmy, thank I'm heading into this adventure almost blind as I don’t know if anyone out there, my employer will be “handing over” so to speak and then relocating back here to the UK so we’re doing a bit of a swap!

I’m excited all the same!

Originally Posted by Kimmy1973
Hi. I have been living here 8 months now. Feel free to DM me xx
Old Apr 27th 2022, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Feel free to reach out with any questions. its a bit daunting as not a lot of information can be found online
Old Apr 29th 2022, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Happy Friday all!

We finally had all of our paperwork signed off, I'm near the end of my notice period in the UK and we're due to arrive on Island mid May. It was great to finally receive our flight confirmations and get our dates sorted - the process to get to this point has been truly epic.

Happy Friday!
so Parrot Cay or Pine Cay then, things have definitely changed since the nikki beach days ! we now have a Ritz Carlton haha club med is still going on and is still a lot of fun if you can deal with the resulting hangover.. but its great value for money for a day pass with activities and food.
I was indeed based on Parrot Cay, it was fun but obviously quite remote, so the trips to Club Med and Provo in general were always a welcome distraction! I've heard a lot about the Ritz Carlton, and I'm still somewhat surprised that they were able to build something so tall on the island! Still I guess money talks! I hope all is well with you Skip.

Originally Posted by clockbe
Resurrecting the conversation just as not to start another similar thread!
I am moving to Provo mid-July, currently in the middle of arranging all manner of checks for my work permit!
I’m not able to find much in the way of groups or chats for those who have moved out to Provo so I thought I’d say a quick hello in case anyone hung out around these parts still!!
Good luck with your move Clockbe! If you're looking for accommodation we found the 'TCI APARTMENTS/HOMES FOR RENT' Facebook page to be helpful and quite active.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Last edited by haruki; Apr 29th 2022 at 8:38 pm.
Old May 1st 2022, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Feel free to reach out with any questions. its a bit daunting as not a lot of information can be found online
Thank you! I honestly don’t know where to start with getting my head around the move, it still doesn’t feel real!
Life at the moment is a flurry of medical examinations and police checks and then starts the process of applying for a work visa! I’m not sure it’ll feel real until I step off the plane at the airport!

My employer is super and is at hand to ease me in, is there anything you wished you’d known sooner or taken into consideration?
Old May 2nd 2022, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

how expensive the used car market is
how hard it is to find long term rental accommodation
how expensive it is to import things and how long it takes things to arrive.

Originally Posted by clockbe
Thank you! I honestly don’t know where to start with getting my head around the move, it still doesn’t feel real!
Life at the moment is a flurry of medical examinations and police checks and then starts the process of applying for a work visa! I’m not sure it’ll feel real until I step off the plane at the airport!

My employer is super and is at hand to ease me in, is there anything you wished you’d known sooner or taken into consideration?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.