Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

Moving to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

Old Aug 18th 2015, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Avianne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

Hi all, as the tittle suggests, i will be relocating to TCI in about five weeks. I am looking to get some feedback as to:
Best neighbourhoods to live in (im not seeing anything online) and anyone living there who I can chat with relating that my move and life on the island. These would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 18th 2015, 2:04 am
Just Joined

LottieR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

Hello! I moved here about 6 months ago, I'd be glad to offer any advice I can. Neighbourhoods, you should look at: Grace Bay, Leeward, Turtle Cove, and also developments like OneLoft and the Golf Club are great for meeting people. Let me know what other questions you have!
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response Lottie. And thanks for the info... I really appreciate it. I will be there is five days! Do you have google or facebook? Let me know and i will provide my details. We can connect there. Thanks again.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

5 days! that is exciting. I'm on Facebook but difficult to find, I'll DM you my email address though, I'd be glad to help with anything, if I can!
Old Sep 18th 2015, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Great! Im trying to reply to you via email but its tellingly me wrong address. I will private message you my details
Old Oct 14th 2015, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

HazelFerguson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, after coming across your posts I was wondering if it would be possible to get in touch with you in regards to moving to T&C. My partner has just recieved a job offer and we have several questions about moving that are still unanswered.

Any help would be much appreciated :-) !
Old Oct 14th 2015, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

No problem Hazel, i sent you a private message
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

skip84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I am also looking at an opportunity in Turks and Caicos and would be grateful for any information anyone can provide on day to day living as the internet is falling a bit short !

Thanks all!
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi, what do you need to know?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your speedy reply!!

Well I have been trying to find information on daily life in provo or TCI in general and its either glorious or a hell hole.

I've check out cost of living etc. so i wont bore you with the usual questions of I earn x amount how much can i save and is X amount a good salary for a part time goat trainer.

I currently live in Jersey, which is cold in the winter (9 months of the year) and pretty good the other 3 months (with intermittent rain) we are 14 miles away from france, incredibly expensive with little to do apart from eat and drink.

I want to swap this for something with a warmer climate (water sports are great when the weather is!)

so what is there to do to keep you occupied? what are peoples general thoughts on living there, do you regret moving there?

fyi - in my early 30's with 2 dogs, work in finance and spent a lot of my time doing security for night clubs also so not really into the partying scene.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

sent you a PM!
Old Jun 1st 2016, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks I will have a look!
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

I also wonder if anyone has a more up to date idea of grocery costs, the only things i can find online are a few years old now and look pretty comparable to Jersey.

What are everyone's weekly/monthly shops costing?! (minus the alcohol!)

Thanks !
Old Jul 19th 2016, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Ricky81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,
Recently I found myself dreaming of relocate to the Turks and Caicos. Specifically Providenciales. I've visited the island once and plan to do so at least once more, probably, to gather more information regarding employment, accommodations and basic living information. I am much too young to retire and would need to obtain full employment fairly quickly in order to become self sufficient. I am not expecting to replace the lifestyle that is typical here in the UK London, but rather a much smaller and basic way of life.
I am Italian 35 years old, living in London.
I'm finding it quite difficult to locate employment opportunities and apartment/room rental listings online. I am an expert in Tailoring and Luxury retail. Other skills include Luxury Hospitality (Restaurants Manager).
While it would be nice to find something in similar fields, I'd of course embrace new employment opportunities along with my new location.
I’m hoping someone here, perhaps an expat, can point me in the right direction as far as obtaining information resources, forums or specific contacts to aide me in my relocation efforts.

Thank you so much for your help.
Richard.

Last edited by Ricky81; Jul 19th 2016 at 3:58 am.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi Richard.

Its a small place as you know, and so there aren't the listings sites for employment, accommodation etc as you have in London. Most thing here are through word of mouth, and who you know, etc etc.

You won't find much need for experience in luxury tailoring and retail here I'm afraid, however hospitality/restaurants of course are a very large part of the island. Worth noting is that you are unlikely to be able to 'move here and then find a job', given the restrictions around resident visas and work permits. Then, once you are offered a job, in order to be granted a work permit your application needs to go to the employment board who need to be happy that you are more qualified to do the job than a local, and therefore that you are a worthy and valid work permit recipient. So although I admire your openness to trying new things its unlikely you will find a job doing something you don't have solid experience in. Under no circumstances can you work on island without a valid work permit.

Also worth bearing in mind is that as hospitality is one of the biggest industries here, a lot of the local islanders are pretty experienced in this area etc so you may have some stiff competition depending on your own USPs.

My suggestions would be, if you are serious about the move, to make direct contact with the hotels and restaurants on island (look on google/tripadvisor for lists) and send them your details directly. Then, once you go through the recruitment process and are offered a job, you will have at least a couple of months whilst your work permit is being sorted out which will be plenty of time to find accommodation. It is very normal for any new employer to help you find accommodation before you arrive. It is also not unusual for them to own a rental property themselves that they might offer you, or their friend owns one, etc etc. You get the idea.

Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.