Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving with family to Tortola

Moving with family to Tortola

Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Toneye1 has a spectacular aura aboutToneye1 has a spectacular aura aboutToneye1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Moving with family to Tortola

Hello!

I know people have posted things on here previously about this subject but nothing recent from what I can find.

I have a 4 and a 6yr old so would be looking at schools, is Cedar the one I am 'supposed' to send them to as we are ex pats or are they able to go to the local schools?

How easy is it to find rental accommodation? Do you know of any websites for agencies that have rental accommodation?

How comparable is the cost of living in Tortola to the UK?

I used to visit Tortola when I worked on ships but realise that it's a whole new kettle of fish if you're actually living there!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

bvipatric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with family to Tortola

You can not go to a local State school if you are not a belonger. You haev the option of several private schools:
Cedar $12000 p/a
Montessori $10000 p/a
First Impressions $6000

And some kindergardens and a very good school on Virgin Gorda too.

Cost of living is very high, with care it is affordable but do not expect to save.
$365 per month for electricity, gas, telephone and internet.
Food is more expensive than Waitrose and much lower quality. Fresh fruit and veg costs a premium and is fresh only in the sense that is a week old.
Fuel is about $5.00 a gallon - Think $100 a week on a car fuel consumption (roads are at inclines which consume fuel). Poor quality roads mean frequent punctures and suspension faults, expect to take the car to the garage every few months.
PO Box is about $30 a month (no mail delivery to houses)
Gym is about $65 a month
Health insurance is between $300-500 a month for the family
Rent can vary from $800 to $5000 for a studio flat > 4 bed villa

People do it for the lifestyle and swallow the costs.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

vdigeronimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moving with family to Tortola

Hello, I am from Venezuela I have an offer from CITCO and probably I will earn $ 90.000 per year. I am married and we are searching information about living cost in BVI. Please somebody could help us?. First of all, I would like to know if with this annual payment that I will earn, my wife and I could have a good life there?, also, I would like to know the prices of:
1) Gasoline per week.
2) Utilities (Electiticty, Gas, Telephone, Internet)
3) TV Cable.
4) Foods per week.
5) If I want to buy a car of 25.000 $ and I will pay an initial of 10.000$, how much do I will pay for a credit of the rest 15.000$? (only referral)
6) Car Insurance.
7) Cell Phone monthly.
Please if there is any other things that you want to add please feel free to do it.

Thank you very much for your help.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

AngeeFarah is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=bvipatric;10110661]You can not go to a local State school if you are not a belonger. You haev the option of several private schools:
Cedar $12000 p/a
Montessori $10000 p/a
First Impressions $6000

Hi there!

My husband has just recently been offered a job in Tortola and myself and our two children aged 7yrs and 3yrs old will be moving over with him from the UK.

I saw the mention of schools and knowing that as a non-belonger means we are restricted by applying for private schools, is there any advice or direction you could give me on which of the three available are the best?

Thanks so much for any advice in advance.

Angee
Old Oct 6th 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

cnjackson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vdigeronimo
Hello, I am from Venezuela I have an offer from CITCO and probably I will earn $ 90.000 per year. I am married and we are searching information about living cost in BVI. Please somebody could help us?. First of all, I would like to know if with this annual payment that I will earn, my wife and I could have a good life there?, also, I would like to know the prices of:
1) Gasoline per week.
2) Utilities (Electiticty, Gas, Telephone, Internet)
3) TV Cable.
4) Foods per week.
5) If I want to buy a car of 25.000 $ and I will pay an initial of 10.000$, how much do I will pay for a credit of the rest 15.000$? (only referral)
6) Car Insurance.
7) Cell Phone monthly.
Please if there is any other things that you want to add please feel free to do it.

Thank you very much for your help.
Hi there, did you end up moving to the BVI with Citco. I have a similar opportunity and wonder if whether your experience has been a good one? I have a wife and 1 year old son and wonder am concerned whether they will enjoy it there.