British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Moving to British Virgin Islands (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/moving-british-virgin-islands-897266/)

Garythehuss May 27th 2017 9:28 am

Moving to British Virgin Islands

Hi All Looking for some advice on British Virgin Islands
Been offered job but by my calculations it would be great for a single guy
but we are a family of four, two children 11 and 8, after taxes should have $5k left plus $1000 housing allowance

i have worked in Bermuda and i believe the cost is very similar

questions are state school or private
how easy would it be for my wife to get work
can a family live on this short of income

is it worth the struggle for the life style,

what would you need to get buy on

thanks Gary

BEVS May 30th 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Moving to British Virgin Islands

Hi there and a warm welcome to British Expats.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly that will be able to help a little.

skip84 Jun 1st 2017 5:13 pm

Sample expenses i was using below when i was looking at moving to BVI last year, at the time i could substantiate these but as I ended up on another island and I didnt need the information i couldnt point my sources out now! there was a lot of furious googling involved at the time! Hope this helps a little.

One thing i have found is you can be frugal if you want to be so things like food / entertainment are always fluctuating and its difficult to say whether XX would be sufficient for someone to live off because if you eat steak every day and drink expensive wine then the answer is no. if you like a simple life and take inspiration from the surroundings to have a good time then probably..

With health insurance I ended up opting out of getting coverage (rightly or wrongly) as where i am has a government sponsored health scheme that my minimal tax goes towards, however, in cayman i believe it would be mandatory - just food for thought!

Any BVI residents please feel free to dispute/amend/comment on the below.

Cheers!

Expenses
Rent $2,000.00
Utilities $425.00 (electricity / Gas / Cable / water
Loan $455.00 based on £350 pm
food $800.00
Phone/internet $170.00
credit cards/loan $325.00 £250
Insurance car/hse$300.00
Health ins $440.00
Entertainment $750.00

Total $4,885.00

Suzanne81 Mar 23rd 2018 12:09 pm

After living in England for the past 30 years as an American ex-pat, I would like to move to the British Virgin Islands.

America has changed so much with our new president (lol) and I still want the NHS benefits that I've had in the UK.

Can I easily move and what is the closest island to the states? Also which islands would be in the low contact hurricane zone?

Which island has the lowest crime, but reasonable house prices?

Thanks.

scot47 Mar 23rd 2018 6:33 pm

NHS does not operate in the British Virgin Islands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health...Virgin_Islands

Gordon Barlow Mar 23rd 2018 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Suzanne81 (Post 12468430)
Can I easily move and what is the closest island to the states? Also which islands would be in the low contact hurricane zone?

Which island has the lowest crime, but reasonable house prices?

Is this a serious enquiry? Surely not. The islands are about 50 miles across, for goodness sake - so why does it matter which is the closest one to the USA?

Suzanne81 Mar 23rd 2018 8:34 pm

Gordon Barlow, I'm AN American and thus want the shortest route to visit my homeland.

Serious enquiry enough for you?

uk_grenada Mar 23rd 2018 10:48 pm

Then live next to the airport, not the northerly point. Yes im affaid i smell a troll. The op also clearly doest understand hurricanes.