Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Moving to Bermuda - right decision?!

Moving to Bermuda - right decision?!

Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

B-13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bermuda - right decision?!

Hi

I've been offered a job in Bermuda and will be earning $70,000. I'm from London, 28 and single!

Is this enough for me to survive?

I look forward to your reponse.
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:12 am
Just Joined

BDAloual is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Bermuda - right decision?!

I left Bermuda 6 months ago after living there for a few years. Thats enough money to survive, especially if you share an apartment. I now live in Sydney and I actually find Sydney nearly just as expensive.
Old May 4th 2008, 10:13 am
Just Joined

B-13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BDAloual
I left Bermuda 6 months ago after living there for a few years. Thats enough money to survive, especially if you share an apartment. I now live in Sydney and I actually find Sydney nearly just as expensive.
Hi

Thanks for your response. I didn't want any financial difficulties when I move there. Now I feel more positive about the move.
Old May 4th 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

BDAloual is an unknown quantity at this point

If you share a flat you will probably pay around $1500 a month. Another question you need to ask yourself is if you are happy to ride a moped. A moped will be much cheaper, but I hated riding a moped. Also, you can only own a car if you have an assessment number (each apartment/house is allocated one assessment number), so obviously if you are sharing a place you might not be able to own a car if your flatmate already has one. Public transport is cheap though. A good website to check out is www.e-moo.com. Another is www.bermudasucks.com, as this website forum tells it how it is (although the website is not really mentioned in Bermuda).

The biggest financial concern is exchange rates, you will earn enough to survive in Bermuda on a day to day basis, however any savings will not get you much once converted into pounds. The money I saved while working there is still there in BMD$ until the exchange rate is better.

Anyway, I know you will love the lifestyle. Good Luck and have fun while out there