Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Move the family to Bermuda?

Move the family to Bermuda?

Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

LissandLos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move the family to Bermuda?

Hi there!

Bermuda sounds fantastic and I am considering accepting an offer of US$90k to work there. I have a wife and two toddlers though and am worried that this salary will not be enough money to cover everything. I've had a look on e-moo and rent for a two bedroom pad looks like it's from at least $3000 -yikes. Haven't seen the details of the contract yet, but I doubt I get any housing supplement other than the initial few weeks...

1. Would 90k be enough for a family to live on? We aren't extravagant, but want to be able to put food on the table...
2. Also, my wife is an experienced registered school teacher, however she looks after our own kids these days. One possible way to supplement our income is for her to nanny whilst she looks after our own kids.
a) Is there much demand for someone to look after expats kids for nannying or tutoring? b) She doesn't have a work visa, do people work under the table? If so how much could she expect to charge doing this part time? c) Is it possible to get a work visa for someone like my wife without having to get a fulltime job, because she has our own kids to look after?

Thanks in advance, we would really like to move there but obviously want to sort out whether we can afford to before we move !

Thanks...
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move the family to Bermuda?

Is this intended to be a temporary move, or a permanent one?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

LissandLos is an unknown quantity at this point

A temporary one I figure, 2-3 years.....
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:58 am
Just Joined

bermybhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Doing anything not stated on a work permit is inadvisable here, it's liable to get it revoked. Personally I don't know anyone who does this, which isn't to say it doesn't go on but I do know the risks would be quite high.

I guess whether that's enough to survive depends what you want to do while you're here, but bear in mind that most people like to get off island every few months, you'll have trips home to consider etc. You will need to think about school fees too - no idea how much that costs I'm afraid. I'm sure it's feasible if you are very very careful, but on the face of it I'd suggest $90k might make a struggle to have a very comfortable lifestyle if you're supporting the whole family.

Any specific questions, just ask.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

niandymac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just wondering how much further you have got with the prospect of moving the family to Bermuda?

I have a wife and toddler under 2 and am considering a similar move to yours - a 2 to 3 year stay with a view to getting the experience.

Like everyone else cost of living, cost of living, cost of living!

Have seen the "budget" on http://www.bermuda-online.org/costoflivingguide.htm and was wondering if this was close?

Also, my wife and I would both try to work but we have no clue from this about childcare cost for full time working parents.

Anyone any ideas?
Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

sweetnezz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by niandymac
Hi,

Just wondering how much further you have got with the prospect of moving the family to Bermuda?

I have a wife and toddler under 2 and am considering a similar move to yours - a 2 to 3 year stay with a view to getting the experience.

Like everyone else cost of living, cost of living, cost of living!

Have seen the "budget" on http://www.bermuda-online.org/costoflivingguide.htm and was wondering if this was close?

Also, my wife and I would both try to work but we have no clue from this about childcare cost for full time working parents.

Anyone any ideas?
It seems like moving with kids is a real challenge.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

I think you are right. Alot of the people I've seen on this forum are young(ish) and single but the company I spoke to explained that people with more than 2 dependants don't get permanent visas.

I think childcare must cost more than the UK as our childcare is expensive but then everything in Bermuda seems to be UK++.

We're debt free (apart from house to sell) and have considered moving abroad.

I don't think anyone would settle in Bermuda but is there anyone who has made the move recently with a family?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

knsc will become famous soon enough

I think you are right. Alot of the people I've seen on this forum are young(ish) and single but the company I spoke to explained that people with more than 2 dependants don't get permanent visas.

I think childcare must cost more than the UK as our childcare is expensive but then everything in Bermuda seems to be UK++.

We're debt free (apart from house to sell) and have considered moving abroad.

I don't think anyone would settle in Bermuda but is there anyone who has made the move recently with a family?
There is no such thing as a permanent visa for anybody. One year is the norm but the company you work for may be able to get one up to five years depending on your job, but you will have to leave at the end of it.
Housing will be a major cost a 3 or 4 bedroom house will cost you a least $5000.00 upwards and this will not be a nice one and it more like be $8000.00 per month, rental accommodation is hard to find you should make sure the company you are going to work for helps you find a place and not just a hotel or guest house.
Cheapest new car is $13,995.00 for a Hyundai Atos, a family car will be in the $30,000.00 and up, insurance will cost $600 upwards and licence fees depend on the size of the car and you only get one car per family. You will have to take a driving test as a UK licence is not accepted
Fill up small car about $60.00
Food for a family of four $ 200.00 to $400.00 per week
Electricity $200.00 per month and up (depends if you use Air condition units)
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks KNSC. You sound like you're pretty familiar with the whole setup.

I fear that all the "info" by the company looking to hire may be too good to be true and the reality of living in Bermuda may be very different.

I suspect it's one thing to go there on holiday but another thing to live and work there.

Unless I could get a housing allowance I think our family of 3 would struggle on a single income salary of 77K like they are indicating - given that we have a very good standard of living in the UK already.

Is 77K a struggle in your opinion?

PS: Nice Duke pic by the way (hard to see it!)
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

knsc will become famous soon enough

Thanks KNSC. You sound like you're pretty familiar with the whole setup.

I fear that all the "info" by the company looking to hire may be too good to be true and the reality of living in Bermuda may be very different.

I suspect it's one thing to go there on holiday but another thing to live and work there.

Unless I could get a housing allowance I think our family of 3 would struggle on a single income salary of 77K like they are indicating - given that we have a very good standard of living in the UK already.

Is 77K a struggle in your opinion?

PS: Nice Duke pic by the way (hard to see it!)
Hi.
If you were single then $77K would be ok be with a family I think you would struggle after paying rent you would not have much left for other things plus with the exchange rate at the moment any saving you have are cut in half when you change to pounds. Things like flights off the island are expensive. Flight to UK for one adult is I think is about $700.00 and we have just booked flights to Orlando for two adults and two kids cost $1,750.00
Here is a link to one of the rental companies’ sites to give you an idea on housing. http://www.bermudarealty.com/addon.n...=8&bdrm=2&pr=x

Coming here for a holiday is nice but when you have to work it is a different game, not all the locals will accept you and you may find that you have taken a step back in your work.
If you have any questions feel free to ask I will try my best to answer them.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the candor. I think I've a bit more digging to do but what you've said really sums up all the research I've done so far.

I am at a good, senior level in my current job and I too feel that the lure of Bermuda might be a backwards step career wise.

If I can think of anymore questions, I'll post them.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

what's the company...I just left Bermuda after 7 years and had two kids there, so i am somewhat an expert...if you have anything specific just post the question and I will get back to you on this
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

BGA Wholesale Distributors... Heard anything about them?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Just to add to my OH's reply - we were earning approx 150 between us both working full time. We had our son (2) with a childminder (need to find them word of mouth - it's very difficult to find good child care) which cost $180 / week. Our daughter (4) was in school at $1300 / month - before that she was in day care (nursery type) for about $800 / month. To be honest we found it difficult financially, we always had enough money but never any more. While our friends were saving loads and going on trips we weren't, however we were still better off than being in the UK.

It's a great experience and a lovely place to bring up kids but don't go for the money! 2-3 years would be a good length of time and if you want to go and experience island life then go for it. We know people who had only one earner with a modest salary and they were quite happy, just didn't go out for dinner and went to 'The Barn' which is a very popular charity shop. We also had a house in the UK to maintain and send money home for. Basically I would say it depends on your lifestyle. PM me for more info.

Cheers
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

BGA are a big stockpilers of goods etc for distribution around the island...i would look into the small print and but depends on your position

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.