Move to the Caribbean

Old Nov 12th 2009, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Mishkamax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to the Caribbean

I just wonder if anyone can help with the start of my venture to move to the caribbean. Any advice and/or links would be much appreciated.

St. Lucia is our preferred location and how easy is it to relocate there? We are nearing retirement age but would still like to work or start a business for a few years. What criteria do we need to live and start a business there. Is it easy to buy a property there and what would the taxes in doing that be.

Finally how stringent would the police report be, m husband was a bit of a lad when he was younger, nothing serious but it might show up, and that worries me a bit.

Any advice would be very appreciated.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to the Caribbean

Originally Posted by Mishkamax
I just wonder if anyone can help with the start of my venture to move to the caribbean. Any advice and/or links would be much appreciated.

St. Lucia is our preferred location and how easy is it to relocate there? We are nearing retirement age but would still like to work or start a business for a few years. What criteria do we need to live and start a business there. Is it easy to buy a property there and what would the taxes in doing that be.

Finally how stringent would the police report be, m husband was a bit of a lad when he was younger, nothing serious but it might show up, and that worries me a bit.

Make sure your house has A/C! for starters anyway
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

glitterycloud will become famous soon enoughglitterycloud will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Make sure your house has A/C! for starters anyway
We don't have a/c and do just fine!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Ditto here in Barbados. We try to do like the locals do as much as possible, which involves no central A/C (but sometimes I do use it in my office on particularly hot afternoons).
Old Nov 13th 2009, 3:17 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

This all seems possible. If you can financially support yourself and intend buying a property as a retiree I cannot see too many problems.
Check my expat guide and property info page for the legalities.
http://www.rodneybay.net/ST%20LUCIA%...T%20GUIDE.html

Last edited by pgtips; Nov 13th 2009 at 3:20 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Some places do require a statement of good character from the police. If your husband has a record, you might want to consult with a lawyer familiar with St. Lucia on if and how to declare it.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:29 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Just popped over from another side and saw this.
Re your husband's situation, many convictions are considered 'spent' after a certain period of time has elapsed. I am unable to tell you which offences do and do not fall into this, but they would not include dishonesty offences or offences against a person, but likely include drunken convictions or minor public order offences.
My advice would be to go to your local police station in the UK and ask for the form for a police check. This is the same form many people such as those applying to work with children have to have. You fill in the form and return it, and I think there is a fee of about £20. They do the necessary checks and return the results to you. 'Spent' convictions will not show up on there.

I would say that it is worth doing this and seeing the results before paying out a fee to a lawyer as you may find that all of his demeanours are spent.

Hope this information is of help to you.

Dread - love the Caribean
x
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

janintheSun is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Move to the Caribbean

Suggest you check out Turks and Caicos Islands. We have been here for six years and love the relaxed sunny lifestyle. Easy to rent/ buy/build. English speaking, US$, British overseas terittory, title to property is protected and no income taxes...Can help you with questions and research if interested, anytime.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by janintheSun
Suggest you check out Turks and Caicos Islands. We have been here for six years and love the relaxed sunny lifestyle. Easy to rent/ buy/build. English speaking, US$, British overseas terittory, title to property is protected and no income taxes...Can help you with questions and research if interested, anytime.
How strict are the immigration requirements?
British overseas territories seem to be the hardest for a 'british' person to get into in the Caribbean.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

janintheSun is an unknown quantity at this point

It is easy. Nothing like other territories...Come over as a tourist for 30 days. See if you like it here. Go to Immigration Dept and ask for extension to stay ($50 pp). They want to know why and see return ticket. Or if you have bought a place as homeowner you have more rights. If offered a job before arrival, the employer will have got your years work permit and included your dependent ( if any which could be hubby) Police checks go back 6 months for work. You can be here as a non worker for $1000 per year and go in and out as much as want as we have many snowbirds who come for the winter and rent You would need money here as it is high end destination.Rents have reduced considerably though.Hope this helps a little in decisions..
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

Interesting!
I've not got plans at this current moment but im sure that info will help a lot of people who pass by this thread over the years.