Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Married Life In Barbados with a Bajan?

Married Life In Barbados with a Bajan?

Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

CreamCookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married Life In Barbados with a Bajan?

Hello all, great site and full of great information!

I met Richard earlier this year when travelling to Barbados, been back since etc and we are deeply in love and making plans. I live UK and he is Bajan, I am visiting soon again for us to make plans. He has family land and we plan to build bar/shop as there is none in his area at all and then build house also at rear of bar/shop. I need to know, if I am to live there, marry etc, I realis ethat I have to look after myself and son but would I have any problem getting a visa to live in Barbados if I was building my own bar etc?

My son is 17 years now and is Autistic, I want him to work with us etc and this would give him a better life out in Barbados as he loves outdoors etc, but do you think this would have any effect on his being able to live there? Physically he is in tip top health! He is on no meds etc

also, bank accounts, can I open one so I can transfer money into it for the building costs while i am still in UK?

Also ... planning and liquor licence, is there a site i can go to to apply for all this? Thanks for any help, will be really appreciated

Bless all ......... Cookie xXx
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:50 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married Life In Barbados with a Bajan?

Originally Posted by CreamCookie
Hello all, great site and full of great information!

I met Richard earlier this year when travelling to Barbados, been back since etc and we are deeply in love and making plans. I live UK and he is Bajan, I am visiting soon again for us to make plans. He has family land and we plan to build bar/shop as there is none in his area at all and then build house also at rear of bar/shop. I need to know, if I am to live there, marry etc, I realis ethat I have to look after myself and son but would I have any problem getting a visa to live in Barbados if I was building my own bar etc?

My son is 17 years now and is Autistic, I want him to work with us etc and this would give him a better life out in Barbados as he loves outdoors etc, but do you think this would have any effect on his being able to live there? Physically he is in tip top health! He is on no meds etc

also, bank accounts, can I open one so I can transfer money into it for the building costs while i am still in UK?

Also ... planning and liquor licence, is there a site i can go to to apply for all this? Thanks for any help, will be really appreciated

Bless all ......... Cookie xXx
Whoa slow down a bit !!!!!

Ok you met a chap and fell in love, great. Planning to marry, great !!!

But then you go on to say you plan to build a house/business on family land ?
Big red flag:curse: Slow down and think carefully exactly what you are getting into. screach

Family land can be a minefield of problems, believe me I know from experience.
Who owns this land exactly ? Meaning who is on the title deeds and registered at land registry ? It may seem barren and empty now, but as soon as you invest a good chunck of your hard earned money on it, you will be surprised who will coming out of the wood work staking a claim.

Who is funding all of this ? Let me guess .....

Please just think about this carefully with your head and not make any rash decisions ruled by your heart.

Your number one priorities are your son and yourself so just make sure you know exactly what you are doing. Remember financially this chap stands to lose nothing, on the other hand you can lose everything if it does not work out.

The term golden goose springs to mind, and guess who is the goose ?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

ok, i can see how it comes across as rushing in like a bull! But I am not, I already moved overseas to the little island of St Martin in the Caribbean2 years ago, long story, didn't work out, had to come back to UK . since then, been planning on moving again. Wanted out of Uk for years and years .. anyhow, land is his mum's, and I woulnd't do ANYTHING unless through my solicitor, I have talked to him about this already that I ain't investing on land that ain't mine etc .. this is all to be sorted out, hence I need to travel back and sort things out!

The reason I want to build quick is I can't go out and live in Barbados until I have my own business to run and earn from. I am qualified in jobs medically and would no doubt get a job in QE hospital or BayView if I tried, but I don't want that for me or my son as I would be out away from him all day and thats not a life I want plus they are so far away as where I will be is St Peter.............

I appreciate your feedback but don't worry, I am not a silly teenager getting hauled in by a cunning man ....... I am Scottish, we love our money to much! lol

Regards

Cookie xXx
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I agree with pgtips, this a minefield! 1st of all, as my husband says, "Barbados ain't no sweet bread." On all accounts don't rely on family land, you have no idea who it has been promised to or who will turn up, as she mentioned, when an outsider comes to town. As far as the relationship well, I would work on that for a while before even thinking about compounding things with a fledgling business. Sorry to rain on your parade but it's reality!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:15 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

ok, i can see how it comes across as rushing in like a bull! But I am not, I already moved overseas to the little island of St Martin in the Caribbean2 years ago, long story, didn't work out, had to come back to UK . since then, been planning on moving again. Wanted out of Uk for years and years .. anyhow, land is his mum's, and I woulnd't do ANYTHING unless through my solicitor, I have talked to him about this already that I ain't investing on land that ain't mine etc .. this is all to be sorted out, hence I need to travel back and sort things out!

The reason I want to build quick is I can't go out and live in Barbados until I have my own business to run and earn from. I am qualified in jobs medically and would no doubt get a job in QE hospital or BayView if I tried, but I don't want that for me or my son as I would be out away from him all day and thats not a life I want plus they are so far away as where I will be is St Peter.............

I appreciate your feedback but don't worry, I am not a silly teenager getting hauled in by a cunning man ....... I am Scottish, we love our money to much! lol

Regards

Cookie xXx
CreamCookie, the best piece of advice I am going to give you is forget the family land idea. This leads to too much heartache and stress !!!

Give the relationship a little time to develop and if and when you get married as a couple, buy your own land. This way there are no complications, no unpleasant surprises to spring out of the woodwork, and you can start your married life building something together.

If you take this one little bit of advice you will thank me in years to come.

Why the rush to build etc, can your new husband not support you financially for a while when you first get wed ? At least that would give you a chance to settle in the country and get a better feel before making any hasty financial decisions.

Last edited by pgtips; Oct 27th 2008 at 9:21 am.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Really good advice from the experienced folk here.

I'd be inclined to go the work permit route to begin (as you mentioned you'd likely be able to get a job here), at least for the short term. That way, you can be here legitimately whether you are married or not.

This would give you time to see how the relationship develops while you're here, together, as sometimes a new place can do strange things to an already-existing relationship (you sort of hinted at this, too).

Then, if the worst happened, you could more easily leave without being financially and legally tied to something that you want to get away from.

Also - citizenship is currently taking quite a bit of time (years). So, if you were planning on just waiting until it came through you might find yourself stuck waiting a lot longer than you might have planned.

Best of luck to you.
Foxy
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Ok, I thank you all for your advice and have taken on board several comments made. Obviously on a forum such as this, I didn't want to write a huge long story explaining all to do with moving, but asked what I wanted to know, I am a great believer in "if you want something done, do it yourself" . hence the information I was wanted so i can "LOOK into things" and not make rash decisions.

I know family land can be "funny" who has the deeds? Where are they? who is meant to have what etc etc etc .... I know all these things, but thanks for the concern, already looked into it with Richard. I just didn't know if I was to go ahead with plan what I would need, the bank account for example etc. thats the information I wanted so I can look and read for myself and not hear information 3 rd party. anyhow, thanks again people, its a great site to have

Stay Blessed ....... Cookie xXx
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I agree with Foxy try the relationship first...forget about the rest.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:41 pm

Ok, I thank you all for your advice and have taken on board several comments made. Obviously on a forum such as this, I didn't want to write a huge long story explaining all to do with moving, but asked what I wanted to know, I am a great believer in "if you want something done, do it yourself" . hence the information I was wanted so i can "LOOK into things" and not make rash decisions.

I know family land can be "funny" who has the deeds? Where are they? who is meant to have what etc etc etc .... I know all these things, but thanks for the concern, already looked into it with Richard. I just didn't know if I was to go ahead with plan what I would need, the bank account for example etc. thats the information I wanted so I can look and read for myself and not hear information 3 rd party. anyhow, thanks again people, its a great site to have

Stay Blessed ....... Cookie xXx
I suspect from the tone of your response that certain things you did not want to hear !! Thats called being in that bubble called "in love". With the man and the Caribbean dream. The truth is the reality does not always match. I too have a special needs child so know the extra anxiety and concern this brings and hence I took special note of your posting.

Why not just give the Barbados High commision a call and ask them to clarify your situation.

1 Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury
London, WC1B 3NH
Telephone
020 7631 4975
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again and "no tone" was used, Its just I asked for answers or information to questions, not really "peoples opinions" and thats what I got. And no, its not the "caribbean life with the man i love bubble" . like i said already moved to Caribbean and loved it so much and it was great for my son, but circumstances changed, I had to come back here. I have not rushed in to this decision, the reason in a rush to build is I want to move soon as possible!
And the land side of things I know about the deeds etc and land registration, that is getting delat with as I type, so I wouldn't buy land when its there already, if anything did ever come out of the wood work then my situation would change. But up to now, plans are all going good

I have a letter from my friend who moved to Italy dated July 1990! I found when looking through some old boxes, in letter at end was, "saw this and thought of you, hows things going on that front? any new progress" ... I laughed when I took out the envelopea cut out from a magazine saying" houses and land for rent or to buy in BARBADOS!!! thats how long I been waiting to move . before my son even born, so scary, all this time I wasted!

I am very independent hence want own business and NOT to live off my husband, I have never done this nor would I wish to, just not me Sorry if this seems a little blunt but, its hard when people don't understand the hours and trips I have already put in making sure as much as possible goes smoothly and its really all worth while, thats all. Like I said, its a great site, but can anyone tell me still what I need to open a bank account ou in Barbados? LOL Thanks for all ur advice guys and help, it is really appreciated

Bless u all ....... Cookie xXX
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

I believe you need either a work permit, citizenship or some sort of permanent residency to open an account here. We have been going through that and weren't able to open one until they saw the work permit. I don't know how/if this changes if you are married to a national.

We couldn't even get a proper membership at the video store without a work permit! We had to keep putting $50 deposits until they saw a work permit.

As for people's opinions, please know they were with good intention and based on experience in living here and witnessing some of the horror stories that can come about. As you yourself indicated, you only gave part of your story which, while understandable, prompted people to be worried on your behalf.

People are great on this forum in my experience, and when someone knows the answers to your questions, they will provide them to you.

Best of luck.
Foxy
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks honey, I didn't take any offence etc, and I know my first post looked like a huge RED flag to all....... and I do appreciate people thoughts etc, thats why I posted last response to explain a little. But thankyou again for all responses, we can all only learn from each other!

Thanks for information on bank, thats what I thought .... strange banks not wanting peoples money ? I guess I should just bring all my documents that will be relevant when I next come out and try all avenues !

Had to laugh at the video store wanting $50 everytime, so funny! Take care and thankyou again, hope ur day was blessed ........... Cookie xXx
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

strange banks not wanting peoples money ?
I've said that phrase a few times when frustrated about Immigration stuff - "but I'm spending money here!"

Be careful also about banking here in terms of how much money you can take out of the country. Be sure to get the limits from a bank or lawyer - in case you needed to send money back to the UK etc. as there are laws governing the maximum amount you can take out of the country. That surprised me a little as I didn't have those limits when I've lived in other countries before.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
I've said that phrase a few times when frustrated about Immigration stuff - "but I'm spending money here!"

Be careful also about banking here in terms of how much money you can take out of the country. Be sure to get the limits from a bank or lawyer - in case you needed to send money back to the UK etc. as there are laws governing the maximum amount you can take out of the country. That surprised me a little as I didn't have those limits when I've lived in other countries before.
Hi Cookie,

I agree, be very careful when bringing money in! I just heard from a good friend that you will need to register the money you bring from home with the Central Bank. Then, and only then, you will be allowed to take the same amount of money out of the country again. Otherwise, your money is "buried" in Barbados, with no use except within the country! Sounds stupid and silly for European, but that's how it is, the Bajans don't let you send money out of the island, only 1.000 USD a year as gifts OR if you have invoices from abroad, means when you can proof that you have to pay somebody for a service or product you ordered when in Barbados.