Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

looking for work in Trinidad and Tobago

looking for work in Trinidad and Tobago

Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Susann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for work in Trinidad and Tobago

Hi
I'm married to a TnT national and we wish to relocate back there. I work in marketing communications and I am looking for work or projects in either public or private sectors. Any one out there got any ideas?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Lisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for work in Trinidad and Tobago

Hi Susann,

Things in Tobago are generally very quiet at the moment. The tourism / leisure industry here has suffered extensively from the recession, and the current spate of bad press is likely to add to that, sadly. Even companies who aren't reliant on tourism directly are ultimately affected, so things at the moment, aren't as optimistic as they were, say three or four years ago.

All that said... there ARE jobs here, though I believe you'll have to apply for a permit when you arrive, even if you're married to a local. Once that comes through, you should be good to go. It shouldn't be anything like as difficult as it is for a regular work permit. I own a business here, and still need a WP!! They're fairly straightforward, but time-consuming... but hopefully you'd find things easier. I'm not entirely sure how it'll work for you, but a friend of mine who's married to a local still needed a permit when she wanted to work. She doesn't now though, so at some point, it becomes irrelevant! My guess is that it's when you get Residency.

If you need anything else at all - please feel free to pm me!!

With best wishes,
Lisa.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Susann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Lisa,
Thanks for your reply. I was actually back home (arnos vale) for a break in August and September and noticed how very quiet it was. Even the Virgin flight was not full. I did start to apply for residency back in 2003 but was offered a job back in the UK so returned here. Your thoughts on getting a WP are definitely correct - you cannot do paid work until residency is granted. It would be good to keep in touch with you.
Susann
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Lisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem - keep me posted, and let me know how it's going!

L.