Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Looking at a house in Vieux Fort, St Lucia

Looking at a house in Vieux Fort, St Lucia

Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

m_hubbard2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Looking at a house in Vieux Fort, St Lucia

Hello everybody,

I've found an opportunity to buy a house in Black Bay, Vieux Fort in St Lucia.

I've been looking for information on the area having never been to that part of Vieux Fort (I've stayed in Augier with my girlfriend's family).

On wikipedia, someone posted that there are expats in that area.

I have several questions I'd like to ask:

1. Is Black Bay a nice area?
2. Is any major building work planned nearby?
3. Are there any shops nearby?
4. Is there any demand for holiday/long term rentals?
5. Is there anything else I should know about the area?

I know it's a lot of questions and I apologize for that, but I can't find the answers anywhere else.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by m_hubbard2000; Nov 21st 2007 at 8:15 pm. Reason: forgot to say it's St Lucia!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:34 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at a house in Vieux Fort, St Lucia

Originally Posted by m_hubbard2000
Hello everybody,

I've found an opportunity to buy a house in Black Bay, Vieux Fort in St Lucia.

I've been looking for information on the area having never been to that part of Vieux Fort (I've stayed in Augier with my girlfriend's family).

On wikipedia, someone posted that there are expats in that area.

I have several questions I'd like to ask:

1. Is Black Bay a nice area?
2. Is any major building work planned nearby?
3. Are there any shops nearby?
4. Is there any demand for holiday/long term rentals?
5. Is there anything else I should know about the area?

I know it's a lot of questions and I apologize for that, but I can't find the answers anywhere else.

Thanks,

Michael
Hi Michael, Black Bay is a local middle of the rung local St Lucian
community, I do not think you will find many expats living there.
I do not think there will be much going on there, hence why properties are so cheap in that part of the island.

There is no market for short term holiday rentals there, you may get a local for long term rental but do not be expecting to collect to much rent.

You will have to drive into Vieux fort for the shops which is about 10 minutes drive away.

It depends what you want out of a St Lucian property and what tickles your fancy but for now nothing is going on there and you may be lumbered with a property with little resale prospects.

On the bright side, there are a few developments going on in the south, such as the big Ritz Carlton development in Laborie, so maybe Laborie may be a better place to put your money if you want better investment prospects.

If you specifically want a very quiet caribbean existence on the cheap, then maybe Black bay may work out, but be prepared for the long haul before you see any real growth there.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Looking at a house in Vieux Fort, St Lucia

pgtips, thanks very much for your valuable advice, I'll look in Laborie instead.

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I live in St Lucia and may be able to help you with finding the right property. However, need to know more info. Do you want something to live in or something to use a few weeks a year and then rent out the rest of the time? Are you planning to come to the island soon?
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:43 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

pgtips, thanks very much for your valuable advice, I'll look in Laborie instead.

It's a pleasure. Black Bay is about 3km from Laborie, however in St Lucia 3km can be a big difference in property types and neighborhoods, This is classic with the Big Villas of Rodney bay and Cap Estate yet not far away the old Gros Islet village consisting of quite basic simple dwellings.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Looking at a house in Vieux Fort, St Lucia

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
Hi, I live in St Lucia and may be able to help you with finding the right property. However, need to know more info. Do you want something to live in or something to use a few weeks a year and then rent out the rest of the time? Are you planning to come to the island soon?
Thanks Islander Girl.

We'd like something to use a few weeks a year that would provide a good rental income the rest of the year (not greedy, just enough to pay for the mortgage and maintenance).

We plan on getting married and moving over there in about 5 years time, my other half was born there and she can't wait to go back home. It would be nice to have something there for when we manage to pay off our commitments over here. If the income's good enough, we might even make it over before then.

We only came over last in June, however if the right place came up, I'm on the first flight there to sign what has to be signed. I'm saving some leave just in case.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Islander Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Islander Girl.

We'd like something to use a few weeks a year that would provide a good rental income the rest of the year (not greedy, just enough to pay for the mortgage and maintenance).

We plan on getting married and moving over there in about 5 years time, my other half was born there and she can't wait to go back home. It would be nice to have something there for when we manage to pay off our commitments over here. If the income's good enough, we might even make it over before then.

We only came over last in June, however if the right place came up, I'm on the first flight there to sign what has to be signed. I'm saving some leave just in case.
I know of a few places which would suit your ideas on rental income and use for a few weeks of the year. I can let you have more info but you will need to use my email address rather than this forum. Drop me a line using email and I will fill you in.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Islander Girl
I know of a few places which would suit your ideas on rental income and use for a few weeks of the year. I can let you have more info but you will need to use my email address rather than this forum. Drop me a line using email and I will fill you in.
Thanks Islander Girl, I've done that.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 11:48 am

Michael, It seems as though the new Ritz carlton is being built right in the middle of black bay so here is some further food for thought on the possible purchase of house there which seems to make it a better long term prospect.
Construction of Phase One of the island's latest resort 'The Residences' at Ritz Carlton St. Lucia, got its official start on Tuesday December 11th, following a ground breaking ceremony in the island's south.

The property being developed in Black Bay, Vieux Fort, consists of a 75 room hotel, spa, and golf course, at a costs some Three Hundred Million Dollars. The entire project is being undertaken by the Irish Property Development Company, Roebuck International, and is projected for completion in seven years time.

President of Roebuck International Neal Sweeney acknowledged an earlier problem with Black Bay Farmers Group, in getting the
programme off the ground.

He said, “We have to acknowledge the sacrifices the Black Bay farmers have made here to allow us to come unto the NDC land—land on which they have farmed for many years. My background is in farming and we understand the strong links that people have with land. So we understand the huge sacrifice that they have made and we really want to state our appreciation today.”

Mr. Sweeney said the hotel, upon completion, will also form robust business linkages with the farmers.

“In return we hope to pay them back in some way, by assisting them with their produce to bring it to Ritz Carlton Standards. We will buy all their produce and ensure that they are well paid. Roebuck is here and will guarantee that everything we promise will come true and you have my word as president and CEO of Roebuck International. We are certainly sure that our partners Ritz Carlton will be more than happy to assist us in that development,” said Sweeney.

The development also encompasses a 416 acre site at Honeymoon Bay, Vieux Fort.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi pgtips,

Thanks for the info, I've decided to put the idea on the back burner for the time being, I'll look again in a year.

Michael