Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

living on a boat in Bermuda\carribean

living on a boat in Bermuda\carribean

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

mcast12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living on a boat in Bermuda\carribean

Toying with the idea of buying a boat in Bermuda or the Carribean, living aboard and working in IT on the island.

Anyone ever done it, know anyone who has done it? got any advice? I'm aware hurricanes will be an issue and insurance won't be cheap.

I figure that the berthing\mooring fees will be much less than renting a 1bed on the like fo Bermuda, also I love the sea.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

knsc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: living on a boat in Bermuda\carribean

Originally Posted by mcast12
Toying with the idea of buying a boat in Bermuda or the Carribean, living aboard and working in IT on the island.

Anyone ever done it, know anyone who has done it? got any advice? I'm aware hurricanes will be an issue and insurance won't be cheap.

I figure that the berthing\mooring fees will be much less than renting a 1bed on the like fo Bermuda, also I love the sea.
to come to Bermuda and work you would need to get a work permit first.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:48 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mcast12

Hurricanes and boats don't mix.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

LucyLock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My husband and I toyed with this idea before settling on buying a property here in St Lucia. In most of the Islands you would need a work permit to be able to work, and that is only really granted if you have something to offer that a local cannot do. The lower you go in the Island chain the less problem there is with Hurricanes, for example we hardly get any here ( touch wood) but the risk is lower the further south you get ( insurance is also cheaper).

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

the govt. of bermuda just raised taxes on boats so i would forget it in Bermuda...it's not really an option, the mooring fees are huge and these are not dockside either