British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Lean on me, Lamb of God (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/lean-me-lamb-god-648460/)

pgtips Jan 10th 2010 9:59 pm

Lean on me, Lamb of God

Have you found the Caribbean to be a more spiritual place than the country you moved from ?

In so many countries, the mere mention of Jesus Christ seems to cause a stir, and even wearing a cross is banned by certain employers.

Is the Caribbean still on fire for God, and do any of you attend any churches ?

glitterycloud Jan 11th 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Lean on me, Lamb of God

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 8235939)
Have you found the Caribbean to be a more spiritual place than the country you moved from ?

In so many countries, the mere mention of Jesus Christ seems to cause a stir, and even wearing a cross is banned by certain employers.

I had the pleasure of 2 Jehovah Witnesses who came to my door last week. They read from the bible at me and requested me to answer some questions about God and the Devil, and then when I declined to participate (not my cup of tea) they graciously asked for a donation before leaving!
I do not attend church but I know plenty of people that do, all the churches that I pass seem to be full of people so yes I think its still on fire for God.

pgtips Jan 11th 2010 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by glitterycloud (Post 8238674)
I had the pleasure of 2 Jehovah Witnesses who came to my door last week. They read from the bible at me and requested me to answer some questions about God and the Devil, and then when I declined to participate (not my cup of tea) they graciously asked for a donation before leaving!
I do not attend church but I know plenty of people that do, all the churches that I pass seem to be full of people so yes I think its still on fire for God.

The gospel churches in the UK seem to be alive, but some of the Catholic and protestant churches seem to be struggling a bit. I know St Lucia used to be a very religious country and church on Sunday was a big occasion. A good community spirit. Ironically I also had two Jehovah Witnesses visit me during the week. SNAP !!!

LottieLou Jan 12th 2010 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 8235939)

Nope and nope... I'm Jewish, so practicing my religion has completely nose-dived since i've been out here.
Also had some Jehovah's witnesses come round the house a number of times, after saying to them that I already have a religion, they actually left pdq!! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people trying to gain more followers, but please don't try and preach to me on my door-step! ;)

Foxy_fromCanada Jan 14th 2010 5:42 pm

Hey PG,

I find Barbados quite a bit more religious than the cities & towns I've lived in Canada, but that could be partly because I now live directly across the road from a very active church!

Foxy

pgtips Jan 15th 2010 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 8248929)
Hey PG,

I find Barbados quite a bit more religious than the cities & towns I've lived in Canada, but that could be partly because I now live directly across the road from a very active church!

Foxy

Can you hear the hymns being sung in your living room on a Sunday morning ?
Have you ever attended the service there ?

Foxy_fromCanada Jan 15th 2010 11:18 am

Yes, I can hear the hymns every Sunday, both the early service and the later service. The church itself is beautiful, with good acoustics - it sounds very nice on Sundays (either that, or everyone in there is a professional singer!).

No, I haven't attended a service as I am not Christian.

They are very active during the week, also. There are a lot of funerals and weddings there, so we hear them too. Oh, and organ & choir practice during the week.

It certainly is a nicer soundtrack than noisy traffic ;)

pgtips Jan 15th 2010 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada (Post 8251030)

No, I haven't attended a service as I am not Christian.

)

You don't have to be a Christian to attend, I am sure you will be welcome in with open arms and get to see who ias actually singing them notes :D