British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Jamaica, Jamaica! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/jamaica-jamaica-892394/)

AmyLou88 Feb 25th 2017 3:49 pm

Jamaica, Jamaica!

Hi guys,
I was on holiday in Jamaica at the end of last year. I've fallen in looooove with the place and would love to move there. However, I'm fully aware it's not the most safest place around and that crime isn't fully under control.
Can anyone advise if they live / have lived there please and provide any advice?

Many thanks,
Amy

jean1947 Feb 25th 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Jamaica, Jamaica!

what would you like to know, I was born there 70 yeas ago, in England since 1969 have visited many times over the yeas, last time 2013

AmyLou88 Feb 26th 2017 6:01 am

Hi Jean,

I would like to know the following please:
1. Is it really safe for Brits to live there?
2. Would I struggle to find a job as I'm not local?
3. I've read up a lot on Jamaica & from what I can gather, the crime seems a little out of control. Is this true?

Any information that you can provide me with, I'd be most grateful for as I'm an open book & want to absorb any details provided to me to help me make a decision.

Thank you.
Amy

jean1947 Feb 26th 2017 7:39 am

Amy
Its not safe for anyone to live there!!! smile
You have to know how to live, where to go and not to
To work there you would have to be highly skilled to get a visa
Jamaica Observer is online have a read sometimes it will give you idea on how life is
Its a beautiful country you can have a good time on holiday but, come home.
Jean

AmyLou88 Feb 26th 2017 10:14 am

Thanks Jean, very wise words there. I'll have a look at the Observer online. I've been reading some of the articles in the Jamaica Gleaner recently and it's been a bit of an eye opener.

Thanks again for your advise.
Amy

Gordon Barlow Feb 26th 2017 4:52 pm

There's a lot of unemployment on the Island. Thousands of Jamaicans migrate to Cayman (next island to the west) and work mostly in menial jobs, because they can't find work at home. They're a fine, fine people, except for a small but violent criminal element. Many of the minimum-wage housemaids here manage to put their absent children through college, which is an astonishing achievement. (Poorly-paid migrants aren't allowed to bring their children with them. The kids have to stay at home in the care of grandmothers or other members of their extended families.)

AmyLou88 Feb 27th 2017 5:27 pm

Hi Gordon,
I thank you for your advise. It's not seeming like Jamaica is the best place to live.
Doesn't seem very safe at all....

Amy

Gordon Barlow Feb 27th 2017 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by AmyLou88 (Post 12192257)
Hi Gordon,
I thank you for your advise. It's not seeming like Jamaica is the best place to live. Doesn't seem very safe at all.... Amy

Well, it would certainly depend where on the (large) Island you wanted to live. Kingston is pretty hairy, but somewhere outside the urban areas (the countryside) would suit you. Good luck.