Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Head Over Heels In Love...with the Caribbean! HELP?

Head Over Heels In Love...with the Caribbean! HELP?

Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

sumfestlover is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Head Over Heels In Love...with the Caribbean! HELP?

Hello everyone/anyone reading this,

Well i am 20 years old and my love affair with the Caribbean began 3 years ago, when i went on a family trip to Barbados, since then i have been on a number of trips back to barbados (5 times) and Jamaica twice now. Loved both,the Caribbean in general, the food, music, culture, people, drink, beaches, weather, just overall way of life!

I just cant seem to shake the nagging feeling that I need to move out there. I currently work for the NHS and have previously worked for a cooperate PR company. I have a number of qualifications, inc 3 A - Levels + 2 years on hand work experience. So am very keen to get my hands on a job, THE HARD PART.....

I feel life is too short to sit around wishing I was somewhere else + I dont want to regret not doing anything about it. I am a very confident , independent + open minded young woman and was hoping to read your experiences/opinions and/or any advice that you could offer me.

Many, Many Thanks....

Sumfestlover x
Old Mar 21st 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Over Heels In Love...with the Caribbean! HELP?

How about the Cayman islands - lots of people go there and get work although not so much in this economy. You would need a degree to be eligible for most work permits apart from perhaps food and beverage or dive master. Look at recruitment companies websites and give them a call and see what they say.
Unskilled jobs are difficult/impossible to get work permits for so maybe in the short term, get yourself a career and qualifications and in 4/5 years time look to move out there with some savings behind you and more to offer an employer.

I worked for a holiday company after I left Uni and they used to send me to locations all around the world to manage the in-resort offices. Ended up in Cayman after Jamaica and loved it, ended up staying over 10 years. Do some research on working abroad websites - you may not end up in the Caribbean first off, but you could have lots of fun getting there eventually.

Last edited by Orangepants; Mar 21st 2011 at 4:54 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your advice...

I think a degree would definitley help me, however went to University for a year and really felt it wasn't for me, and with the current state of university fee's it has become even less appealing.

The Cayman island's sound amazing, open to any options and i suppose times have changed, work permits are like gold dust with a degree or not.

I don't know whether it would be a good idea to live out there for 3-6 months and maybe go from there...as visa wise it isn't as strict & i could hopefully muscle my way into getting in touch with the right people. Where did you work in Jamaica?

I have quite a few friends in the Caribbean that could help me out but who knows, just throwing idea's around atm but as i said i do really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

x
Old Mar 21st 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think there are any islands that you can just live in and it is so expensive to get set up, deposits, car and various ad hoc expenses. You can enter Cayman as tourist for 28 days but usually no more. Perhaps apply to restaurants and bars as a server whilst in the UK for the winter season and then get an apt share with a few others whilst then networking and trying to get a more regular job. Although I know people who have served in FB for years there and make a pretty good living but then they are in the upmarket restaurants and are experienced but you have to start somewhere! Immigration, in Cayman anyway, will reject permits if you dont have a degree and experience, as a local Caymanian could be hired to do the job. They have to protect their own. Usually Caymanians dont want to work in the FB industry. Have a look at ecayonline.com, cayman compass and cayman net news for info about the island.
I personally think that people should see Univ is a means to an end, just get through it to reap the benefits for a lifetime, it opens way more doors, you can usually command higher salaries and is so worth the effort. I am studying for the Chartered Investment Analyst exam right now and it is a b*****d but just gotta get through it and it will help me leaps and bounds in my career.
I was in Montego Bay and visited Jamaica many times over the 10 years I was in CI, only left in November.
Good luck, any more questions, please ask..

Last edited by Orangepants; Mar 21st 2011 at 7:41 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I dont think there are any islands that you can just live in and it is so expensive to get set up, deposits, car and various ad hoc expenses. You can enter Cayman as tourist for 28 days but usually no more. Perhaps apply to restaurants and bars as a server whilst in the UK for the winter season and then get an apt share with a few others whilst then networking and trying to get a more regular job. Although I know people who have served in FB for years there and make a pretty good living but then they are in the upmarket restaurants and are experienced but you have to start somewhere! Immigration, in Cayman anyway, will reject permits if you dont have a degree and experience, as a local Caymanian could be hired to do the job. They have to protect their own. Usually Caymanians dont want to work in the FB industry. Have a look at ecayonline.com, cayman compass and cayman net news for info about the island.
I personally think that people should see Univ is a means to an end, just get through it to reap the benefits for a lifetime, it opens way more doors, you can usually command higher salaries and is so worth the effort. I am studying for the Chartered Investment Analyst exam right now and it is a b*****d but just gotta get through it and it will help me leaps and bounds in my career.
I was in Montego Bay and visited Jamaica many times over the 10 years I was in CI, only left in November.
Good luck, any more questions, please ask..
Hi Orangepants,

I always regard Cayman and Bermuda as similar in many ways in the labour and business marketplace.

It was my experience in Bermuda that there are actually very few entry-level jobs being advertised apart from for positions such as file clerk or bank teller. Banks and insurance companies got new recruits through university student management recruitment programmes. Most hotels and restaurants advertised locally with the expectation that they would need to hire a foreigner on a work permit. They have very strict expectations of experience, so much so that in a typical pub you might be served by somebody who had years of solid experience in a five-star hotel in their homeland before getting a work permit to work in Bermuda.

Indeed, as you say for Cayman, Bermudians don't really want to work in F&B because of shift-work, anti-social hours, perceived relatively poor pay, lay-offs in slow season and they might not be suited to customer service (tourist) type work or the image of it put out there. However, they often still ended up working in the industry simply because they wanted and needed a job. There would be hell to pay if a foreigner on a work permit got a job when a Bermudian was still looking for something in that area, whether or not they were adequately skilled and experienced.

As you so well state, BritishExpat job seekers in the Caribbean need to be aware that there are plenty of locals with reasonably trainable skills to do F&B work and there is no reason for immigration departments to relax work permit restrictions to ease the supply or cost of labour. What is more, no government got re-elected by selling-out to the interests of foreigners.

So the message is: "Get your skills first and then compete!"

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 22nd 2011 at 4:37 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:22 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Sumfestlover, as others have stated you need much more skills and experience to stand a chance. The caribbean job market is tough. You have to have somethind to bring to the table. A degree is usually a basic requirement. Even in the UK a lot of entry level positions are looking for a degree because of the competion. Maybe back to the classroom ? or just enjoy extended holidays for now.

Holidaying and living in the Caribbean are two totally seperate issues.
The issues of those who permanently live on the islands are usually kept from the sunseeking holidaymakers.
I hope the advice you have been given does not put you off, but makes you more aware of what is required. There are a lot of people out there who have the dream to move to the Caribbean, but the Caribbean speaks two languages, money(contacts) and skills.
Some make their money in England or the States etc and then semi retire to the Caribbean when they are in a solid financial position.
Why not use England as a platform to establish your empire and then when you move to the caribbean you will not be so reliant on finding a job.
You may even go across there as a potential employer of people.
I was your age about 20 years ago so I know what its like wanting everything now. Like you I have no degree but I have managed to secure property in the UK and caribbean, so it is possible !!! But be prepared for some hard work. I am embarking on a degree just in case I want to teach part time in the Caribbean, but when I move there full time It will definately be in a semi retired state of mind. I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Last edited by pgtips; Mar 27th 2011 at 12:55 am.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:48 am
Just Joined

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Yes, a degree, that seems to be one of my only options in standing a chance in securing a job, and right now is something that isn't on the agenda.
I would definitley have to agree with you, with regard to holidays in the Caribbean vs living there. + I feel that is something that is highlighted within this site! Life can be challenging enough at the best of times, but it seems like the day to day struggles we all go through will not disappear or be any easier just because you're surronded by beautiful beaches + copious amounts of rum...

The caribbean will always be a massive part of my life but I think having done a great deal of research, it will, for now, have to remain as my little utopia, for a few weeks and then back to my reality!

Maybe one day things will change but as I said this site has brought to light that my love affair with the Caribbean may be turned into a failing marriage if I came to live there...

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, all responses I have found extremely constructive + usefull in putting my wild fantasy in line with reality!

X
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sumfestlover
Maybe one day things will change but as I said this site has brought to light that my love affair with the Caribbean may be turned into a failing marriage if I came to live there...
What a great way to put it!

It doesn't mean you have to stay in the UK, there are great opportunities out there if you are single and dont mind an adventure. I started off working as a campsite courier in France when I was 17 during summer holidays, au pair in Paris and Brussels during gap year and then BUNAC America programme during University holidays and have since worked all over the world. I had no idea where I would end up and didn't mind either. NB leaving Indy soon - yeah!

It doesn't have to be expensive if you can get a job where the accom is already provided and a network of people are already there, although having savings is a must! Have you thought about repping for a travel company or get a skill and go on the cruise ships?

http://www.interexchange.org/ or http://www.workingabroadmagazine.com/

Good luck
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
What a great way to put it!

It doesn't mean you have to stay in the UK, there are great opportunities out there if you are single and dont mind an adventure. I started off working as a campsite courier in France when I was 17 during summer holidays, au pair in Paris and Brussels during gap year and then BUNAC America programme during University holidays and have since worked all over the world. I had no idea where I would end up and didn't mind either. NB leaving Indy soon - yeah!

It doesn't have to be expensive if you can get a job where the accom is already provided and a network of people are already there, although having savings is a must! Have you thought about repping for a travel company or get a skill and go on the cruise ships?

http://www.interexchange.org/ or http://www.workingabroadmagazine.com/

Good luck
Thanks for this Orangepants!

Gives some good pointers for our teenager who would do well to get into the hospitality business here though he has been forbidden to become a chef as he has a parent who is one and knows what it takes.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

TERRYBENT is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to throw my dollars worth into the conversation, having lived in Barbados for 7 years and having seen a lot of people come and a big majority go.

Living and Working in the Caribbean and being here on holiday are worlds apart. If you have no money behind you (which makes it almost impossible to start with) remember by the time you earn the pittance wages paid to people in the more semi or unskilled positions (A waitress in Barbados is earning around Two and a half POUNDS an hour) then you pay rent, buy food, bills etc it leaves very little money to go out and party! Locals do it by big family's living together, eating cheap food and not partying like a tourist!

I have seen so many people come here to "look for opportunities" leave within 6 months because while "looking" they are living it as a holiday, the two dont mix and money soon goes.

There is some great advice on this page of better ways of doing things all I would say is take it, it is not people trying to put you off (although you may think it sounds that way) it is people who have done it being honest.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:05 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TERRYBENT
Just to throw my dollars worth into the conversation, having lived in Barbados for 7 years and having seen a lot of people come and a big majority go.

Living and Working in the Caribbean and being here on holiday are worlds apart. If you have no money behind you (which makes it almost impossible to start with) remember by the time you earn the pittance wages paid to people in the more semi or unskilled positions (A waitress in Barbados is earning around Two and a half POUNDS an hour) then you pay rent, buy food, bills etc it leaves very little money to go out and party! Locals do it by big family's living together, eating cheap food and not partying like a tourist!

I have seen so many people come here to "look for opportunities" leave within 6 months because while "looking" they are living it as a holiday, the two dont mix and money soon goes.

There is some great advice on this page of better ways of doing things all I would say is take it, it is not people trying to put you off (although you may think it sounds that way) it is people who have done it being honest.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
Terrybent what you say is so true, a lot of people eventually have to try and live like the locals but cannot hack it. When you are used to having a relative good amount of income, lots for pleasure, it is hard to adapt to such a drastic drop in income. Most of the people who I know who have successfully returned to the Caribbean have gone there with money. They usually sell a property in the UK, US etc and use this money to build or buy a property in the Caribbean outright. They do not need to worry about rent or mortgages so they are immediately at a massive advantage. They usually have a little extra money put aside for a rainy day. The wise ones then make sure their land is well stocked with fruit trees and learn how to grow provisions. they soon know how to make their own healthy fruit juices and dishes from what they pick. The supermarket visit is just for things that cannot be grown. Lifestyles are adapted to live within the local conditions presented. I call this going back to nature, because if you treat the land well it will treat you well. Some add little apartments to their houses so they can get some rental income now and again. A few fortunate ones may land a good job in the Caribbean but that is the exception rather than the norm. Heres the facts, are you ready for the Caribbean, and is the caribbean ready for you ? Before we make the jump we have to really know we are ready.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

loulabellxx is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you really think about this before you go ahead with it.

I am 23 and fell for a barbadian who I am now married to, we married July last year.

Barbados is very fun once you have money for the first few months, then having to make numerous trips to immigration for extensions and apply for citizenship it gets very tiring and extremely expensive.

Also waiting a year for a work and reside permit is not fun. I was lucky to have parents who still supported me whilst waiting as well as my husband.

The pace is very very slow but that is the beauty of the Caribbean.

It is good you have qualifications as looking for work can be rather hard.

I have finally got a job thank god.
I could not have done this without the help and support of my husband and definitely my parents who are quite well off.

Whatever you decide good luck, but if I were you I would come out for a few months and see how you go!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Jobs4Expats is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sumfestlover
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Yes, a degree, that seems to be one of my only options in standing a chance in securing a job, and right now is something that isn't on the agenda.
I would definitley have to agree with you, with regard to holidays in the Caribbean vs living there. + I feel that is something that is highlighted within this site! Life can be challenging enough at the best of times, but it seems like the day to day struggles we all go through will not disappear or be any easier just because you're surronded by beautiful beaches + copious amounts of rum...

The caribbean will always be a massive part of my life but I think having done a great deal of research, it will, for now, have to remain as my little utopia, for a few weeks and then back to my reality!

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, all responses I have found extremely constructive + usefull in putting my wild fantasy in line with reality!

X
Sumfestlover, I wish to suggest to you that while nothing is ever a walk in a park, the fact is, REALITY is not something that is pre-determined; reality is what you make it. If you are the type of person whose idea of looking for a job is searching the job advertisements in the paper and only applying to the ones which match your academic qualifications, then the "supposed reality" that you have to have a degree to get a great job, becomes YOUR reality by default. If, however, you are prepared to be radical and innovative in your approach to job hunting, then ANYTHING is possible, where your "qualifications" on paper become TOTALLY IRRELEVANT.

What I'm saying is that what you are now resigned to call your "wild fantasy", is only a wild fantasy if you buy into the status quo and the belief that you must have a degree to get a decent job in Barbados or anywhere for that matter. Using a "typical" approach to anything will guarantee you "typical" results every time. If however you want "wild fantasy results", a fantastic job without having a degree, then you need to use a comparably "wild fantasy approach" to job hunting. It's as simple as that.

In job hunting, the ONLY THING THAT MATTERS is your "ABILITY". Definitely not your "paper qualifications". The employer may say that the qualifications matter, but that is just them following the typical way of seeking to fill a job vacancy. If Rihanna applied for a job to be the Public Relations Director for some company with such a position to fill, do you think that they will say, Sorry, you don't have a degree in Public Relations? Of course not. Why? Because they "KNOW" that Rihanna has the ability to do an excellent job as their PR Director because of her "personal PR experience" for her own singing career. No degree necessary. Don't miss the point - it is because they KNOW she has the ability, not because she has a degree. So your job is not to fuss about a degree, it is simply to demonstrate your ability to do a particular job exceptionally well, so that the potential employer will "KNOW" that you are an excellent choice for the job, and your lack of a degree becomes irrelevant.

The key is simply figuring out how to go about making a potential employer KNOW of your exceptional ability to do whatever job. That takes creativity, a can do attitude, lack of shyness, and a willingness to "invest" your time and skills to demonstrate your ability.

So if you need help in that area, just PM me, but pleaseeeeeee, NEVER accept the status quo of what is supposedly possible and what is not. Always purpose to go out and make your OWN reality.

Just so you know this is not just philosophical talk, I once won a US$1.6M contract to build a luxury home in Barbados, beating out several well established construction firms on the island. What's so amazing about that? Well consider the fact that neither I nor my company had ever built so much as a dog house before... or the fact that my company was neither a construction company or a company operating in Barbados. Did I let those supposedly HUGE disadvantages stop me from winning the contract? Absolutely not. What I did was clearly demonstrate that I had the ability to give the client an end result that went far beyond simply building their dream house, while all of the other companies simply submitted a quotation. I on the other hand, submitted a SOLUTION to a number of issues they were facing beyond the building of the house.

In short, I took what the average person would consider a complete impossibility, and made it my very real reality.

Last edited by Jobs4Expats; Aug 27th 2011 at 6:01 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

TERRYBENT is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps the moderator of this page should look into the quotes by jobs4expats because they clearly have no idea of how Barbados works now and are very misleading. Looking at their name I suspect they think they can find Jobs for Expats?
Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

Jobs4Expats is an unknown quantity at this point

Right on schedule...

With all due respect to you Terrybent, I am never amazed at how quickly people are prepared to judge the knowledge of others they have never had a conversation with, and to emphatically declare them to be "ignorant about a specific subject" purely on the basis of reading one posting. I've seen so many people do that, it's not at all surprising anymore.

It is no surprise to me either that "Serendipidy", a moderator, found your remarkes "CONFRONTATIONAL" (her words; I would add "dismissive") in the Thread entitled "Open a business in bbs?"

For the record, kind Sir, and again with all due respect:

1. I have not sought to dispute the very personal experiences of your good self or anyone else who expressed their opinion here.

2. Regardless of what you may "suspect", I do not "think I can find jobs for expats" and have no interest in offering such a service. My handle on here is tied to one very specific job opportunity and not a service offering to find expats jobs.

3. Whether you care to agree with me or not, it does not change the fact that if people apply average effort to a problem, they will obtain average and less than desirable results 99% of the time; nor does it change the fact that regardless of how impossible or difficult a goal may appear, and how much a "this is the way we do things around here attitude and code" prevails, exceptional effort characterized by a superior approach within the confines of the law, will very often yield vastly superior results, as my personal experiences have proved.

Very few people realize that their entire lives are spent performing the role of a salesperson. If they're married, they had to sell their spouse on the idea that they would make a really good husband or wife; They had to sell their current employer on the idea that they were the best candidate for the job; every day they go to work they are selling their employer on the idea that it is still in the company's best interest to keep employing them; you have to sell your buddies on the idea of getting together at the local watering hole for a drink when their partners would rather they be at home spending time with them and the kids. Every waking minute of every day, EVERYONE is selling someone some idea/value, and without realizing that they are in fact selling. Even when you are alone you are actively selling, because what you do or don't do when you are alone, determines what your spouse or someone else thinks about you. If you're a husband home alone and couldn't be bothered to wash the pile of dishes in the sink while the wife is out running errands, you are inadvertently selling your spouse on the idea that you are not really the amazing husband she thought your were going to be when she married you. Which is why I smile every time I hear someone say that they hate sales. There is nothing they're more experienced at than "Sales". They just don't realize it.

Therefore, seeking to relocate to Barbados and work here is not just an "application" process. What the applicant is really doing, is trying to SELL the immigration dept. on the value of approving their application. If the applicant chooses to treat it as "just an application", then they will always be at the mercy of the status quo. Knowledge of "facts" and "wisdom" are not one and the same thing. Those who have ears to hear, let them hear.

Wishing you all a most "exceptional" future, filled with peach and harmony.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.