British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Happy Christmas everyone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/happy-christmas-everyone-929823/)

uk_grenada Dec 15th 2019 10:11 am

Happy Christmas everyone

So what are we denizens of the caribbean doing this holiday?

Me - i’m making myself cocoa tea, ham and onions, and hard dough bread for breakfast, video chat with those in the relevant part of the globe, then heading off to my local beach bar for their opening at about 9am [its one thing about the caribbean, nobody judges anyone for their first drink of the day start time so long as they dont over-do it, its just normal here.]. Lunch will be the full UK thermonuclear affair, at a local pub owned by a welsh couple. Video chat for the other hemisphere, then a crawl around numerous friends and neighbours, suitably impressive booze in hand.

Time actually spent with relatives 0%, Time spent watching christmas movies 0%, time watching TV i’ll admit 1% for the news, time walking say 10% - not driving much deliberately, calories consumed, thousands, zero f’s given on that day....

Gordon Barlow Dec 15th 2019 11:55 pm

Re: Happy Christmas everyone

I will be hosting six friends for a Xmas dinner starting at 6 o'clock Wednesday evening. It's the same six we've had for the past several years: A Canadian/US couple who come here once or twice a year (they provide the turkey), an English couple who visit once a year (they do the veges), and an English mother + daughter who now live here, and provide the pudding. We have always provided the wine and the venue, and all the necessary implements. All of us are retired except the English daughter, who's a teacher.

Last year there were six others: my son + his three children + one of the mothers, and my wife who died this last August. This time it's the Norskies' turn to have the kids; it's a year-here year-there arrangement. We'll have it out on the verandah under the trees, unless it rains like it did last year when we'll have to scramble around getting everything inside! We'll miss Linda, of course, but there was never a doubt that the tradition would continue.

Thanks for the reminder about the phone calls, grenada. I'll have to schedule a Skype call to or from the Norwegian branch of the family. I don't know when that will be: in Norway it's Xmas Eve that's the big date, and they're six or seven hours ahead of us. Sigh. We'll sort something out. We don't do presents, so that's a relief!

uk_grenada Dec 16th 2019 12:44 am

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope that’s not too terrible a hole in your life. Enjoy the day, remember the good bits of the past with joy, but look forward in the same vein, there is life and there are people out there to enjoy time with...

happy christnas, Bob...

Jerseygirl Dec 16th 2019 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12779228)
I will be hosting six friends for a Xmas dinner starting at 6 o'clock Wednesday evening. It's the same six we've had for the past several years: A Canadian/US couple who come here once or twice a year (they provide the turkey), an English couple who visit once a year (they do the veges), and an English mother + daughter who now live here, and provide the pudding. We have always provided the wine and the venue, and all the necessary implements. All of us are retired except the English daughter, who's a teacher.

Last year there were six others: my son + his three children + one of the mothers, and my wife who died this last August. This time it's the Norskies' turn to have the kids; it's a year-here year-there arrangement. We'll have it out on the verandah under the trees, unless it rains like it did last year when we'll have to scramble around getting everything inside! We'll miss Linda, of course, but there was never a doubt that the tradition would continue.

Thanks for the reminder about the phone calls, grenada. I'll have to schedule a Skype call to or from the Norwegian branch of the family. I don't know when that will be: in Norway it's Xmas Eve that's the big date, and they're six or seven hours ahead of us. Sigh. We'll sort something out. We don't do presents, so that's a relief!

I am very sorry to read that Linda passed last August. My condolences Gordon.

Gordon Barlow Dec 19th 2019 2:04 am

Thanks Bob and JG. Hope it's a happy Xmas for you both. Take care.
Gordon

BEVS Dec 19th 2019 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 12779228)

Gordon.
I have just read your post in here .

So very sad to read you have lost your wife Linda , although she remains with you in your heart I know.
Really hope you have an enjoyable festive season with your good friends.
All the best
BEVS

Jamesy5008 Dec 21st 2019 12:31 pm

We decided not to go back to the UK for Xmas this time. So Xmas day will be a Prosecco brekkie on the balcony. Facetime to the kids and then probably some beach time with dinner at The Westin later. After that, who knows? Bottomless bubbles with dinner so unlikely to be fit to do anything else anyway! Other than Facetiming the boys, 0% time with relatives. 0% Xmas movies (unless Love Actually is on). 5% BBC news and local papers at home. And also 0% time making Xmas dinner for 10 people for a wee change. This is a very different Xmas for us this year. With zero Xmas adverts and TV, it doesn't feel very Xmassy. And no -10C temperature either.

Jerseygirl Dec 21st 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008 (Post 12781218)
We decided not to go back to the UK for Xmas this time. So Xmas day will be a Prosecco brekkie on the balcony. Facetime to the kids and then probably some beach time with dinner at The Westin later. After that, who knows? Bottomless bubbles with dinner so unlikely to be fit to do anything else anyway! Other than Facetiming the boys, 0% time with relatives. 0% Xmas movies (unless Love Actually is on). 5% BBC news and local papers at home. And also 0% time making Xmas dinner for 10 people for a wee change. This is a very different Xmas for us this year. With zero Xmas adverts and TV, it doesn't feel very Xmassy. And no -10C temperature either.

That sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

PS Do you have a spare room? :fingerscrossed:

Jamesy5008 Dec 22nd 2019 12:40 pm

Fraid not. Only a blow up bed. But it's a double. From John Lewis no less! Price negotiable. 5% off for BE'ers.Currently 79F here. � ����

uk_grenada Dec 22nd 2019 1:44 pm

Be careful where you set it up... i was staying in an absolute pearl of a b&b in trinidad, 1500ft up in the northern range overlooking the ocean below. A couple set one up on a balcony and slept outdoors overnight. In the morning we were amazed to see it fly off the building and slowly cartwheel 1500ft to the caribbean sea below in the breeze, fortunately without occupants. Mahogany ridge if you want to gogle it.

Jerseygirl Dec 22nd 2019 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesy5008 (Post 12781468)
Fraid not. Only a blow up bed. But it's a double. From John Lewis no less! Price negotiable. 5% off for BE'ers.Currently 79F here. ������

I’m on my way! :thumbsup: