British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Giving birth in the Caribbean: best Hospital and care (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/giving-birth-caribbean-best-hospital-care-862453/)

tortellini Jul 26th 2015 8:34 am

Giving birth in the Caribbean: best Hospital and care

Hello all, I'm really glad to have found this website!!

Since we will be moving to Saint Lucia for a month, and than try other islands as well in order to see how real life in the Caribbeans is...

and since we would live to have a child, I'm wondering where the best hospitals, pre- and postnatal care of the Caribbeans are.

This is the result of my researches, but I guess it might be partially wrong.

very good Bermuda
very good Barbados
very good Cayman
very good Guadalupe
very good Tobago
very good Martinique
very good Bahamas (outside I know)
very good St. Thomas
very good San Juan
very good Barbados
good Dominica
good Aruba
good Curacao
good St. Croix
good St. Martin
good Grenada
good St. Kittis
average Antigua Barbuda
average St. Lucia
average Turks & Caicos

Could you please tell me your opinion?

Thank you very much!!

PrincessBananaHamock Jul 28th 2015 8:35 pm

Re: Giving birth in the Caribbean: best Hospital and care

Hi, I currently live in Anguilla but I know a lot of people go to St Martin from here to give birth.
If I was you and it's your first time you need to look at worse case scenarios.
Is an anesthesiologist available 24 hours? Should you wish for an epidural. If there are complications do they perform cesarean section, how many cesarean sections have they done?
I've heard the medical care in Martinique is good as is Panama and Puerto Rico. Those are the places people are sent to in medical emergencies. Personally I'd want to give birth somewhere like that than risk a small hospital.
Good luck.

PrincessBananaHamock Jul 28th 2015 8:36 pm

I just want to say I'm sure you will be ok and everything will be fine but if you prepare for the worst it never happens. :)

Gordon Barlow Jul 30th 2015 3:33 am

Tortellini. I think it's very easy to over-research stuff like this. In England, would you ever check out the reputations of twenty district hospitals, before choosing one to deliver your baby? Probably not. And even if you would, would you then research the abilities of all the doctors and all the nurses at those twenty hospitals? Surely not. Sometimes you just have to take chances. (I don't mean that unkindly, or dismissively; but it's a sensible and practical way of thinking.)

All the best.

PrincessBananaHamock Jul 30th 2015 7:51 am

Gordon you're so right in the UK you wouldn't do the research but then the UK isn't a developing nation and you don't need to be evacuated by air in medical emergencies.
I see no harm in this lady asking for advice and researching. :)