Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Furniture into Tortola, BVI

Furniture into Tortola, BVI

Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

TShill7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Furniture into Tortola, BVI

Hi,

I'm thinking of accepting a job offer in Tortola. Have seen the place - it is extremely beautiful & unspoilt but also VERY small. I would be moving there with my girlfriend and her main concern (she loves the island) is shopping.

We know there are other islands nearby to get smaller stuff. But what about larger items. Does anyone have any idea how this works in practice?

And what are the custom duties for bringing items into the country?

In London evrything is done over the interent & shopping seems a real hassle on this island.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Tissan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Furniture into Tortola, BVI

Hi
When we built our house on Bequia we took a container across using the Geest line. This cost was £2300 for a 20ft container - it didn't take much to fill it as we took a car as well.
We then went to Miami to buy our beds and lounge furniture (good quality and a lot cheaper than home) which was then shipped down by the shippers used by the individual furniture stores.
All this costs a lot of money in duty except where the furniture is second hand. Customs decide for themselves if any item is new or used. The car we shipped over was a used "S" reg Toyota Rav - the duty was 100% but it still worked out cheaper than buying same year/model there which would have cost around £7000!
There are no decent shops on Bequia or St Vincent so everything has to come from UK.
Hope this helps.
Tissan
Old Oct 16th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

TShill7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply Tissan.

Unfortunately Geest do not go to the BVI and £2,300 for a container sounds like a good price). Do the customs officials go through your possessions item by item as they determine what's new and what isn't?

Also it is only new items that carry a duty? I hadn't appreciated exacty what the rules were.

If anyone can recommend a removal company to get to the BVI - that would be most welcome!!

TShill7
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Tissan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi TSHILL7

We took an inventory of everthing, noting which was new and which used supported by relevant invoices where it was new and copies given to Customs. They can still put a value on it themselves even though they have invoices.
In our case, they chose a few boxes and looked through every item. Other boxes they didn't even open.
A shipping agent isn't essential but it get's through all the red tape and paperwork much faster.
We sent another container yesterday so will have to go through it all again in a couple of weeks.
Tissan
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

tinartist is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Did you manage to get over to Tortola ok?

If so, would love to get in contact and hear how the process went for getting your girlfriend into the BVI.

I'm in a similar situation and it would be helpful to hear about your experience.

Many thanks

T