British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Fawlty Towers in the caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/fawlty-towers-caribbean-946884/)

uk_grenada Jan 26th 2023 9:51 am

Fawlty Towers in the caribbean

The machinations of people in the caribbean continue to give me great amusement.

I live in a community that has a community interest group on whatsapp. So- someone decided that a patch of rough ground near us was a danger because people could hide in the thick bush there and jump out to rob or assault young ladies in a nearby home.

So - they decide to arrange a weekend working party and ask all to arrive with weed eaters, cutlasses, rakes, hoes etc. The online discussion goes on for days about some people wanting money for fuel for their weedeater, their cutlass would need professional sharpening, and would drinks and sandwiches be provided etc etc.

The discussion then involved a local government rep who pointed out that free paint in national flag colours of flourescent red yellow and green [the rastas eyes gleamed] and free bunting was available as independence day was coming up, so the discussion then moved on to painting rocks, but we dont have - so should we get some? Where would the bunting be deployed and who would be paid to put it up and take it down? Would this beautification project actually beautify our natural environent?

It was pointed out that the rough land in question was someones property, so shouldnt this cutting be done by them, and were we allowed to cut it anyway? Shouldnt they be paying for the petrol and refreshments at least?

Another area needed clearing it was discussed, but it was owned by some americans who can afford to employ someone to clear it.

A local recreational club offered to pay 2 of its workers to clear some land as it was adjacent to theirs.

Someone reminded people that government cleared all road verges regularly and this was not the groups responsibility.

By now the group admin person is clearly fraying at the edges and not for the first time asks if anyone else would like to take over this role?

Anyway D Day is this weekend, i will report!

SanDiegogirl Jan 26th 2023 4:45 pm

Re: Fawlty Towers in the caribbean

Oh .... this type of behaviour is not exclusive to the Caribbean.
I've just been involved in a discussion regarding some land maintenance with my local HOA and after 3 hours of going round and round in circles, we departed with nothing at all resolved.
From who owns the land, who is legally responsible for maintenance, should the City be involved, how would HOA pay for any work done, etc etc, what was regarded by some as a relatively small issue, has now blown into one that requires research and investigation before anything can be done. I don't remember anyone putting themselves forward to do the research and investigation ......:sneaky:

uk_grenada Jan 31st 2023 10:05 am

Re: Fawlty Towers in the caribbean

Well it occurred. A small number of people actually turned up to toil in the sun. They did about the same as the government team would do in about the same time, but curiously it was the same roadside area that the government team would clear anyway every 6 months so IDK???

Afterwards congratulatory messages were exchanged

Then the next day the scornful one about the vast majority of neighbours not helping, passing without helping, driving by not looking, was expected and duly sent out.