Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

European overseas territories?

European overseas territories?

Old Dec 21st 2009, 11:51 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

Ems_8674 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default European overseas territories?

As an EU citizen, where can one legally emigrate to, in terms of overseas territories? Google is not helping. I'm thinking particularly of the French DOMs in the Caribbean: Martinique, Guadeloupe... Even Frenchies here don't know if they would have a right to move there. One would think that technically as part of the EU these islands are fair game, but then perhaps there are restrictions on such small, sunny places or else they'd be inundated with people like me who hate cold climates. I know that New Caledonia, whilst not strictly a DOM, is totally open to French citizens (and Australians) who choose to move there, but not other EU nationalities. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!
Old Dec 25th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: European overseas territories?

Originally Posted by Ems_8674
As an EU citizen, where can one legally emigrate to, in terms of overseas territories? Google is not helping. I'm thinking particularly of the French DOMs in the Caribbean: Martinique, Guadeloupe... Even Frenchies here don't know if they would have a right to move there. One would think that technically as part of the EU these islands are fair game, but then perhaps there are restrictions on such small, sunny places or else they'd be inundated with people like me who hate cold climates. I know that New Caledonia, whilst not strictly a DOM, is totally open to French citizens (and Australians) who choose to move there, but not other EU nationalities. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!
Why not look at the Dominican Republic? They are a stable democracy, with a Charter of Rights, very friendly with the US. Lots of North Americans/Europeans living there and they accept immigrants. Panama and Mexico may be other options.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 25th 2009 at 12:27 am.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 11:22 am
Jeff, god of biscuits

Thanks for replying, although I meant to enquire about what overseas territories technically belong to the EU and thus where we, as EU citizens, can live and work without needing a visa as is the case for other caribbean islands which are sovereign states in their own right.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as a "European owned territory". Europe doesn't "technically" or even untechnically own any territories as far as I know..

Any case, I feel almost certain you will have to have a visa to go and live in any of these places for exactly the reason you state - everyone would be going there with unrestricted migration. For example, Bermuda is a British overseas territory but a British person has to jump through hoops to get a work permit.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 6:30 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

I meant European-owned as in belonging to an EU country. Thanks for the info about Bermuda, though. Perhaps the French overseas départements are a similar case.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

The Netherlands Antilles and the French Islands are fully part of the EU as they are considered to be just an outlying part of their "mother countries". However, as far as I know (I researched it from you exact angle a few years ago!!) while they are fully incorporated in their "mother countries" they are subject to visa requirements for EU citizens. The only way you could move to them without a visa, is if you are a citizen of the respective "mother country".

The British and USA islands are a slightly different kettle of fish, as they are not included in the EU. I think you need a visa for them, even if you are from the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Deb-123 will become famous soon enoughDeb-123 will become famous soon enough

The French islands - Martinique, Guadeloupe, St Martin & St Barts are indeed part of France & the EU. The Netherland Antilles - Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire, Saba, Eustacia & Sint Maarten are not. They are part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands only so, unless you are a Dutch (or Antillean) passport holder, there is no automatic right to live or work there & visa/permits so to do are not easy to acquire.

There are no restrictions/visa requirements for a UK passport holder wanting to move to the French islands. You may find it useful to read the thread "Anyone living in St Martin", particularly the posts by Warwick who moved to St Martin a couple of months ago.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:03 pm
Jeff, god of biscuits

Awesome, thanks.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Goddess is an unknown quantity at this point

St. Maarten, Saba, St. Eustacius, Aruba, Curacao (Dutch Antlilles). British Virgin Islands.

Good Luck!