Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Diferent exchange rates... :oS

Diferent exchange rates... :oS

Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

LottieLou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diferent exchange rates... :oS

I always thought (or maybe that should be presumed) that exchange rates would be the same from one bank to another...boy was I wrong

I went into first caribbean to change EC$1,000 into GBP. Their rate was 4.4187, then had to go to scotia and their rate was 4.5263.....

How can two different banks, within 50 feet of one another use different rates for the same currency???
Old Feb 8th 2010, 10:31 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diferent exchange rates... :oS

Originally Posted by LottieLou
I always thought (or maybe that should be presumed) that exchange rates would be the same from one bank to another...boy was I wrong

I went into first caribbean to change EC$1,000 into GBP. Their rate was 4.4187, then had to go to scotia and their rate was 4.5263.....

How can two different banks, within 50 feet of one another use different rates for the same currency???

Beleive it or not this works to our advantage, as competion exist between the banks. Imagine they all had the same rate as a set figure, I guarantee you would get less in your hand. Competion in the commercial world is healthy.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Diferent exchange rates... :oS

The individual banks buy and sell currency at different rates themselves... some get better deals than others.