cruise ships

Old Mar 20th 2019, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default cruise ships

This report (at the link) is about Carnival pulling out of Antigua, and Nassau resenting cruise-lines' antics, and the bitter dispute here in Cayman about whether to build a $300 million four-berth dock. Our argument is over the economic sense or non-sense of paying such an enormous sum - borrowed from the lines themselves, who will withhold all the present anchorage fees for the next 25 years. Skullduggery is suspected by many members of our public - skullduggery in the form of bribes. What's going on in the rest of the region?
https://caymannewsservice.com/2019/0...port-concerns/
Old Mar 21st 2019, 4:10 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cruise ships

We have a single jetty/pier so 2 boats can dock, though there have been several days when up to 4 boats have been in the bay. There is of course a big mall for the tourists in the terminal because as we all know no cruise lemming can go far without buying a fake rolex, tee shirt [i am a tourist, take my money] or jewellery [which i really do find confusing] - grand turk - 10k inhabitants, 15 jewellery shops .

The jetty was locally funded with an insurance co being a part owner but seems to be a minor thing for the millions it cost so yes its probably not entirely kosher as a project. The fees for passengers are pitiful, i wouldnt mind forgoing them if thats how its funded, its of the order of 1-2 dollars if they get their butts off the boat. There are well published stats about income, i think here the spend is about 25-35 us each passenger. I have heard the reasonable stat - a visit from a cruise ship is worth the same as 1 hotel room for the year. If you look at tripadvisor fo grenada you can link to the xls file of the arrivals, and see how many passengers boats etc, its all there. This season its 520k tourists and 220 arrivals.

There is money in it for locals running all sorts of businesses. However consider how brittle tourism can be, a plane crash or zika or hurricane can damage itfor years.

In addition the smaller cruise ships, think le ponant, silversea, the pricey ones, have several docking points at marinas and the main port.

Old Mar 21st 2019, 4:13 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on 300 milliion us? Is this a jetty from your island to miami? I think ours was 10?
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Hang on 300 milliion us? Is this a jetty from your island to miami? I think ours was 10?
You would think! The actual contract is for US$250 million, but of course it will go over budget. It must be the diamond-encrusted gang-planks that put the price so high. The only people who will benefit will be our duty-free shops. Sometimes there are five or six large ships in our harbour, and 10,000 or more passengers wandering all over the roads downtown. Ah yes, I forgot to mention: the ships all unload downtown and that's where the piers will be built too.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

We have the same question in Greenock. Many cruise ships coming in but very little benefit to the town.