British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Cost of living in the Bahamas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/cost-living-bahamas-595188/)

yorkie84 Mar 3rd 2009 12:16 pm

Cost of living in the Bahamas

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anybody out there could help me out in reference to living in the Bahamas?

I am a 24 year old British single male and am just wondering what life would be like for me out there. I have a slight chance of moving out there to work and from what i've read and heard about the place it looks like a fantastic place to be.... on holiday! I've tried to do some research but to be honest, the net seems to be pretty sparse about price of groceries, price of beer and nights out (sorry but I do like my 'essentials'!), price of petrol, things to do ie jetskiing, cinema, trekking, gyms and lastly, resident accommodation (not luxurious tourist accommodation). I only seem to find tourist short lease rentals and if I did move over, I would be living with a group of co-workers so rent could be split.

If I did move there, don't intend to save a packet, live a dubai-esque luxurious playboy lifestyle. But I would like to go out for a few drinks on a weekend, save a bit of money for a rainy day (if I eventually come back to England!) and generally live a relaxed life.

Any help would be much appreciated.

investalot Mar 3rd 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Cost of living in the Bahamas

Hi

Which island in the Bahamas are you looking at ?

I am here on Grand Bahama Island so I can speak on behalf of this island.

Weather fantastic, sea clean and warm, plenty of watersports, groceries similar to UK in prices, petrol at present $3.20 gallon, case of 24 cans beer $33, eating out prices for all budgets, nightlife on GBI fairly low key but always something to do i.e.beach bbq,bonfire and beer, one cinema with 6 screens, many gyms, plenty of scope for exploring the island by foot,boat or car, renting... best to rent a larger house and share with friends...cost $1500 to $3000 month, 1 year lease.

You can get a fairly cheap flight to Fort Lauderdale or Miami as it is only 90 miles away.

Give it a try ...you only live once.

Best of luck.

adnster Mar 3rd 2009 9:36 pm

Hi

I'm also seriously considering moving out to the Caribbean. I'm 25 and have had enough of living in London! The quality of life out there is so much better than here in the U.K and the cost of living so much cheaper.

Thinking I could start off by getting a job out there in some kind of hospitality role or on a Golf Course. Do you have any useful contacts out there? Email me at [email protected]

yorkie84 Mar 4th 2009 7:27 am

Hi investalot,

Thanks for you reply, much appreciated!

I'm not sure which island the work would be on at present but are the island pretty much similar in rental/cost of living?

In mode of transport, are cars and motorbikes cheap enough to buy and insure?

Also, with rentals. Is it generally cheaper in the long run to get a 1 year lease compared to renting for 3 or 6 months at a time?

I'm hoping this opportunity does pull off but only time will tell!

Adnster, I can't help you their mate I'm afraid, I'm not in that line of business. Good luck though!

investalot Mar 4th 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Adnster

Unless you are Bahamian you will require a work permit from your prospective employer, you cannot just turn up here and apply for a job. A website for the main GBI newspaper is www.nassau.guardian.net ,jobs have to be advertised so that any Bahamian with the qualifications required can apply first.It is possible to come as an investor as I have and live AND work here.

Hi Yorkie84

The busiest islands are New Providence (Nassau) and GBI, the other family islands are less populated and offer limited job options.
Rentals are quite expensive as a lot of locals also rent and there is always a large demand for places.If you decide to come I can put you in contact with some local rental agents, also read the Freeport news (see previous link). The rates are the same for 6 months or 1 year. You can pick up a second hand car (see paper) fairly cheaply and it is easy to tax and insure here.

Hope this helps.

Caymanite Mar 10th 2009 8:28 pm

Adnstra,

Who told you the cost of living is so much cheaper? :eek:
I live in the Cayman Islands and it is expensive here, hard to settle unless you are coming over to make maga bucks. I know Bermuda is expensive, Bahamas, many other islands are unless they are high crime and a lot of unemployment and I doubt you would really want to live there!!!!

Once you are settled you are good, but it still stung at Christmas when I had to pay CI$12 for a box of Waitrose mince pies :mad:

prodeji Apr 12th 2009 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Caymanite (Post 7364952)
Adnstra,

Who told you the cost of living is so much cheaper? :eek:
I live in the Cayman Islands and it is expensive here, hard to settle unless you are coming over to make maga bucks. I know Bermuda is expensive, Bahamas, many other islands are unless they are high crime and a lot of unemployment and I doubt you would really want to live there!!!!

Once you are settled you are good, but it still stung at Christmas when I had to pay CI$12 for a box of Waitrose mince pies :mad:

i was just about to answer a previous post that said the same thing... who is telling you it is cheaper to live in the caribbean?

Foxy_fromCanada Apr 12th 2009 2:32 pm

I concur. Cost of living is exponentially higher than places like UK and North America. Everything has to be brought in specially, and in small quantities that don't afford volume discounts, so you pay a lot more for things. Speaking of food, you can save a lot by buying local produce etc. and not imported boxed goods. But cars etc. will set you back around twice as much as you're used to. Just keep that in mind so you don't have any major shocks (those aren't fun).

caribe-lawyers Jul 4th 2009 5:40 am

Hi,

I was living over 4 months in Nassau, nice experience for couple weeks, but on the end was really really boring! We called it "golden cage".

If you decide to visit, enjoy:

:: News Cafe on Paradise Island
:: Bamboo
:: Senor Frog
:: Hammerhead
:: Small billiard-pub in top of Blue Merlin... coool atmosphere :)

And... price for living was really higher... Rent, electricity, taxi and Stella Artois ;)