Caribbean Get Away

Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:07 am
Just Joined

dav086 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Caribbean Get Away

Thanks IslandAlan! I was thinking about Margerita Island - I have heard a lot about it recently. How much would you say you need to live on each month?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Islandalan is an unknown quantity at this point

At least 1200 dollars a month.
There are no direct flights from the U.K. now so it means coming through Frankfurt with Condor,or Paris.
Due to the political situation it is not easy to get a visa officially.
Get info from the Venezuelan consulate in London.
It's better if you know some Spanish too.
it's Very laid back here,and not many Brits here. Mainly Italian and Canadians.
Petrol is 40 pence for a full tank !!!
It's a long expensive flight here so do plenty of research first.
Best wishes Alan
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islandalan
Margarita Island is certainly the cheapest Caribbean Island with the best climate in the world and no hurricanes. Work however is difficult to find as are any business opportunities at the moment. I made my money in the U.K. first too ,although not much is needed to live here.
How does one go about finding work there. Margarita is Venezuelan so what are the rules and regulations?

Tourism is the main activity I would guess.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Spanish is a must and you need to complete paperwork in London before you can officially work here.Read Venezuela news and views and el universal newspaper in English to give you an idea of what is happening here. A lot here will depend on who wins the presidential elections next year. If there is a change,there will be a lot of investment and opportunities here.If not,we are following the direction of Cuba 50 years ago....
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish is a must and you need to complete paperwork in London before you can officially work here.Read Venezuela news and views and el universal newspaper in English to give you an idea of what is happening here. A lot here will depend on who wins the presidential elections next year. If there is a change,there will be a lot of investment and opportunities here.If not,we are following the direction of Cuba 50 years ago....
Thanks!

I see that there are now charters that stop off here in St Lucia on the way to Margarita, weekly ex Paris but I cannot recall the name of the operator. Would you know of them? Was it Karavel?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I don't know.The French connection is direct here and avoids changing in Caracas.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:13 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dav086
Thanks IslandAlan! I was thinking about Margerita Island - I have heard a lot about it recently. How much would you say you need to live on each month?
Margerita island used to have a very bad reputation for crime, robberies and murders. Gangs were known to clear you out of everything using very violent tactics. You better research this one very carefully.

http://www.margaritaislandguide.com/...1ac58551ff0e77

Last edited by pgtips; Mar 17th 2011 at 8:17 am.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your comment.
Margarita is a lot safer than it used to be,and nothing like Caracas,which is a place I wouldn't go to.
It's a long way to come here,and I would advise anyone to do research first. we are very happy here.
The climate is fantastic,and when we see what is happening in the rest of the world ,we are glad to be here.
It is laid back,without the normal rules and regulations.That is good sometimes and frustrating at others.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 8:21 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comment.
Margarita is a lot safer than it used to be,and nothing like Caracas,which is a place I wouldn't go to.
It's a long way to come here,and I would advise anyone to do research first. we are very happy here.
The climate is fantastic,and when we see what is happening in the rest of the world ,we are glad to be here.
It is laid back,without the normal rules and regulations.That is good sometimes and frustrating at others.
How long have you been on the island ? Venezula had a terrible reputation for kidnapping, and I think some of the gangs infiltrated the islands. The murder rate per capita was ome of the highest in the world. I am glad you are having a good time. As mentuined before the key is research, research and more research. Visit the island a couple of times, maybe spend a couple of months there to see if it is really for you. Also will give you the opportinity to reasearch work and business opportunities whilst on the island. Get out there and find out for yourself !!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

You are right about research. Good advice.
We get up early,go walking on the beach,have a swim and go home for breakfast.
We have cable t.v. and good internet connection,and skype,so I can keep in touch with Familly in England,The States, France and Japan.
We don't visit the mainland which is where the main problems are.
I was in the hotel business and do some cooking for friends,but there is no way,at the moment I would open a restaurant here.
After the elections next year,will be the time to look at the Island. As some internet is monitored I am limited to what I can say here. Hopefully this will all change next year. We are happy here and glad we came,but it is not for everyone. Regards Alan