British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Caribbean Connections (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/caribbean-connections-500557/)

anomadmonk Dec 18th 2007 8:40 pm

Caribbean Connections

Hey Folks

Im new to all this , so I hope to make some useful contacts here :)

I used to live in Anguilla for two and a half years, I left in the summer, now wishing to be back in the islands....

Im looking to move maybe to St Martin in the FWI next year, as i understand that being British I can live and work on the island without a work permit. Is this correct?

I would like to meet people from all over the Caribbean to network for jobs - I am single , 28 and a British male - last job in the Caribbean was in sales (art, furniture etc)

Please help me get back to the islands! ASAP !

Seasons greetings to all! :D

Mitzyboy Dec 18th 2007 10:26 pm

Re: Caribbean Connections

Hi there, welcome to the forum

I may be wrong, but last I knew, St Maarten was an old Dutch colony, as are Aruba & Curacao

username 34 Dec 28th 2007 7:54 pm

its a mixed split island actually ..

St Martin is the French side / St Maarten is the Dutch side. There are 2 capitals and 2 languages ... its all rather strange really!

but you will need a work visa - you cant just pop over and live there, doesnt matter if you're french, dutch or british nationality, you still need the visa.

anomadmonk Jan 2nd 2008 4:38 pm

I was under the impression that being british and holding an EU passport, that French St Martin is part of the EU, therefore according to my source, one can live there with out any restrictions on the french side. The Dutch side is in the Netherland Antilles and is not part of the EU, therefore restrictions apply.

Island mom is this true? Can you help me out?

username 34 Jan 2nd 2008 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by anomadmonk (Post 5730179)
I was under the impression that being british and holding an EU passport, that French St Martin is part of the EU, therefore according to my source, one can live there with out any restrictions on the french side. The Dutch side is in the Netherland Antilles and is not part of the EU, therefore restrictions apply.

Island mom is this true? Can you help me out?

true! - St Maarten requires a work permit even if you are EU citizen, St Martin however does not but is very short on jobs I've heard

I was rushing and giving you the advise for St Maarten and not even thinking about St Martin - apologies for giving only half the story!

anomadmonk Jan 3rd 2008 3:02 pm

island mom, thanks for your update. good to know that.

do you have contacts all over the WI? I was just wondering if you knew anyone in St Martin? I am looking for any useful info at the mo! Cheers :D

username 34 Jan 3rd 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by anomadmonk (Post 5734394)
island mom, thanks for your update. good to know that.

do you have contacts all over the WI? I was just wondering if you knew anyone in St Martin? I am looking for any useful info at the mo! Cheers :D

no contacts I know quite a few people who go there regularly from here and know the job situation