Caribbean & Brazil

Old May 2nd 2005, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Elli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Caribbean & Brazil

Hi there

I'm looking into relocating and starting a business in the Caribbean (my father's from St Vincent) or Brazil. It'd be interesting to hear from expats who have relocated to these areas of the world.

Cheers,
Old May 5th 2005, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Caribbean & Brazil

In response to Markkp....and posted for Elli as well

I am English and currently live back in the UK. I spent 20 years in South Africa with a few short spells back in the UK, Zimbabwe and Australia.

I have been back in the UK 11 years and have missed SA everyday since I left. However in my opinion it will only go the way of Zimbabwe in the end.

Personally I don't blame anybody who wants to leave the UK for all the obvious reasons....climate, overpopulation and property that is now ridiculously valued for what it is.

In my opinion people who have a bit of money (not lots)should seriously start looking towards places such as Central and South America....Brazil, Costa Rica, Mexico, Chile and even Argentina.

Moving is never easy and there are obviously risks attached especially when trying to find work.

I work in the computer industry and for me it is more complicated. It means either getting a job with a multi national (easier said than done) or setting up a business.

Luckily my wife is Brazilian and we are in the process of helping my in laws fund a mini supermarket in Brazil. Once it is established we intend to leave the UK and set up in Brazil.

Once over there we will have at least established an income which should help me springboard into other new ventures.
Old May 5th 2005, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by eliscolin
In my opinion people who have a bit of money (not lots)should seriously start looking towards places such as Central and South America....Brazil, Costa Rica, Mexico, Chile and even Argentina.

I'd drop Costa Rica which has become a horrid place, and insert Panama in there instead

Whereabouts in Brasil are you moving to? Been there on biz and love the place.
Old May 10th 2005, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

Hi Izibear

Hope you are well? I have read some of your postings on the South African forum.

My in laws live in Sao Paulo although they originally come from the State of Maranhao (North East). Personally I don't like the city of Sao Paulo or Rio for that matter.

Anyway our intention is to help our in laws get a business set up in Sao Paulo while we help finance it from the UK and to use that as a springboard to a smaller more relaxed town along the coast somewhere.

I am particularly interested in the States of Santa Catarina and Rio Grande du Sul although I have not been down that far as yet.

From my research it appears that Southern Brazil has a good infrastructure, little crime and a lot more "hi tec" industry....very similar lifestyle and property to SA.

What part of SA are you from?
Old May 14th 2005, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Brasilero is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to Markkp....and posted for Elli as well

I am English and currently live back in the UK. I spent 20 years in South Africa with a few short spells back in the UK, Zimbabwe and Australia.

I have been back in the UK 11 years and have missed SA everyday since I left. However in my opinion it will only go the way of Zimbabwe in the end.

Personally I don't blame anybody who wants to leave the UK for all the obvious reasons....climate, overpopulation and property that is now ridiculously valued for what it is.

Moving is never easy and there are obviously risks attached especially when trying to find work.

I work in the computer industry and for me it is more complicated. It means either getting a job with a multi national (easier said than done) or setting up a business.

Luckily my wife is Brazilian and we are in the process of helping my in laws fund a mini supermarket in Brazil. Once it is established we intend to leave the UK and set up in Brazil.

Once over there we will have at least established an income which should help me springboard into other new ventures.

Luckily my wife is Brazilian .

OH DEAR!!!!

and we are in the process of helping my in laws fund a mini supermarket in Brazil.

OH DEAR, OH DEAR OH DEAR!!!!

Once it is established we intend to leave the UK and set up in Brazil.

OH DEAR!!! POOR YOU!!! YOU JUST HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE LETTING YOURSELF INTO.
Old May 16th 2005, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

A bit of a generalized statement regarding my wife and in laws.....although I would agree with you in regards to the system itself.

Known my wife 5 years been married two....very happy indeed.

My in laws have never asked for help or money, the business idea was my suggestion and the risk involved is minimal to me.

I am well aware of how the Brazilian system works especially where Gringo's are involved. My wife and I have already had plenty of experience with this from the UK.

Besides I have learned to play the crafty buggers at their own game now...and this is one of the reasons why my in laws are the perfect front line.....Brazilians dealing with Brazilians.
Old May 17th 2005, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Brasilero is an unknown quantity at this point

A bit of a generalized statement regarding my wife and in laws.....although I would agree with you in regards to the system itself.

Known my wife 5 years been married two....very happy indeed.

My in laws have never asked for help or money, the business idea was my suggestion and the risk involved is minimal to me.

I am well aware of how the Brazilian system works especially where Gringo's are involved. My wife and I have already had plenty of experience with this from the UK.

Besides I have learned to play the crafty buggers at their own game now...and this is one of the reasons why my in laws are the perfect front line.....Brazilians dealing with Brazilians.

Besides I have learned to play the crafty buggers at their own game now...

DONĀ“T BE SO SURE.

and this is one of the reasons why my in laws are the perfect front line.....

OH DEAR!!!

Brazilians dealing with Brazilians

THAT MAY NOT BE THE CASE! THINK HARD ABOUT IT.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

spanishinquisition is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Caribbean & Brazil

Don't worry about it.

Same wisdoms apply as anywhere.

Also debit cards are taking away the sting of possible sticky fingers and the endless nightmare of dud cheques.

Two problems left are extortion and kidnap. A little thinking and neighbourliness and these are easily sidelined.

Location is very important. Campos do Jordao would be a good natural environment for a Brit. You can always hit the beach really quickly if you live in the Zona Sul. Sao Caetano is pleasant and safe too. Otherwise in the sticks or on the beach it gets VERY seasonal.

SI