British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Can a single person have any disposable income making $65k-80k annualy in Bermuda? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/can-single-person-have-any-disposable-income-making-%2465k-80k-annualy-bermuda-870128/)

Thorndon Jan 6th 2016 12:20 am

Can a single person have any disposable income making $65k-80k annualy in Bermuda?

Hi there. I'm a Falkland Islander (yes I know, very few of us) and I currently reside in New York City. I moved out of Stanley (our biggest centre) a seven years ago and just graduated vet school. I would not like to stay here, and I have a job offer based in Hamilton as an entry-level veterinarian. 65k-80k may seem low for a vet, but it has to do with this being my first experience as a vet.

I was wondering how I could survive with this and still have some disposable income. I choose Bermuda out of all places to practice because I love golfing, sailing and walking. I also love windy weather and can deal with hotness only if there is wind and I believe it is like this in BM. I'm a little introverted (not antisocial), just don't attend many parties when invited and prefer to speak with two people at a dinner table rather than forty at a party. I think this would also be a pro for me, as Bermuda seems to be laid back and small.

OK, so I how much would it cost for food? I'd most likely consume the following: bread and fruit for breakfast, yoghurt and fruit for lunch (possibly cheese too) and a chop with two veggies and milk for dinner (lamb, chicken, steak) or fish would do. How much would this cost? I'd buy all my clothes here.

Also how much would it cost me annually to dock my sailboat? What about for an annual golf membership? Cost of dog food? Pet insurance? General vet bills? Gas to drive 2-5 miles per day? If you can help me out here, it'd be greatly appreciated. Also if you could tell me if I could have at least $1000 leftover, as I know everything is expensive in BM - but low taxes even things out from what I hear.

Regards,

Thatcher

Bermudashorts Jan 6th 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Can a single person have any disposable income making $65k-80k annualy in Bermuda

It is some years since I left Bernuda now (2008) but here are some of my thoughts.

Firstly I am puzzled by the salary of $65,000-80,000. Which is it? That makes quite a difference in Bermuda especially as it is tax free, more than $1k per month will change the accommodation options.

I do not recall any particular windiness on Bermuda. It is hot and very humid from about May until November.

Food is expensive, but I wouldn't be worrying too much about that, I would recommend you look into rental prices not food at this stage. You would be looking at small apartments.

I don't think the salary bracket is really going to put you in the golf membership league, they are very expensive, but the good news is that there are a number of courses where you can play as a non member. Finding a mooring is quite difficult in Bermuda, especially a walk on one, most people have to swim out to their boat or take a dinghy out.

To sum up, no it isn't a great salary but then who dies have a great salary when they are starting out. You can cut your cloth accordingly. I know many people that would have been earning around this salary level and they all survived.

Good luck.

Gordon Barlow Jan 6th 2016 11:04 pm

Re: Can a single person have any disposable income making $65k-80k annualy in Bermuda

I would always, always, advise a young single person to take a job in an island tax haven. You really have nothing to lose. Your initial salary might seem unfairly modest (I don't know enough about Bermuda to say whether it is or not), but the chance of bettering yourself from a low level are very high. Once you have adapted to island-life, you become a valuable asset to employers on other islands - whether tax-havens or not - because you have passed the compatibility test that scares island-employers.

I'm an old man, but I have been there and done that, in days gone by. Go for it.

MoMan Jan 8th 2016 3:25 pm

Hi,
For accommodation check emoo.bm.. you will find some half decent place for single person within $2,000/month. the best way to go around is to get a scooter, depends on second hand or new will cost you btw 2k-5k and if you dont drive more than 5-10 miles a day your bike gas will be around $30/month.

Food is expensive but you will get used to it.. for a single person (moderate drinking and partying) you can manage within $4k a month.. not sure about boat mooring and pet insurance etc..might find boat mooring in emoo.bm

People are very friendly here and helpful.