Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

British chef & co looking at curacao

British chef & co looking at curacao

Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

stevekingchef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British chef & co looking at curacao

Hi guys

This is my first post.
Recently have been looking to relocate to Caribbean.
My partner is from T&T.
I have looked at various islands such as g.cayman,Bermuda and now Curacao.

Anyone who has any info regarding a move there would be greatly recieved.
I'm a chef and have a wife and son(3 yes old).

I have a couple of interview lined up but really any info

I.e cost of living
Immigration rules
Schooling
what to expect being from UK?

Any advice more than welcome
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British chef & co looking at curacao

Hi and a belated welcome to BE.

How did the interviews go?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been offered one role that I have applied for,and another one tomorrow!!

I am struggling to find much info on cost of living etc etc so am finding it very hard to make a decision about the move.

I wonder how far 5000ang per month will go??

Again guys any info or advise will be greatly recieved.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:27 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevekingchef
Hi

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been offered one role that I have applied for,and another one tomorrow!!

I am struggling to find much info on cost of living etc etc so am finding it very hard to make a decision about the move.

I wonder how far 5000ang per month will go??

Again guys any info or advise will be greatly recieved.
Well congrats on the job offer, will keep fingers crossed for you on the other.

Can't help with any info I'm afraid as I am in the US, but hopefully one of our members will happen on this thread and be able to give you some pointers.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of lightSarah1234 is a glorious beacon of light

Found this on the web:

Prices/cost of living

The cost of living on Curacao is pretty reasonable, especially compared to other Caribbean islands.
A decent meal in a decent restaurant with wine or beer will be about US$30-35 per person; there are quite a few restaurants where you can pay a lot less AND a lot more.
Just about everything on the island is subject to local sales tax (called OB) of 5%. Most prices you see will exclude tax so don’t forget to add it for the purposes of calculating your budget.
Many restaurants and some hotels also add service tax. This can be anything up to 12%. Again, double check when you book your accommodation – or before you leave a tip in a restaurant! You may end up double-tipping.
A lot of places will levy a charge for using credit cards, due to the high costs incurred by the businesses for accepting them. (This is due to a very heightened sense of security to avoid fraudulent use).

Sarah
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi many thanks for your replies guys

Keep them coming old

Steve
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

kalulu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve and Everyone!

Did u ever finally move to Curacao? And if yes, would be sooooo grateful for an update... We are considering moving there and living on our boat (as we already have done for a while now). We have a daughter - 6 year old... and any feedback in the schooling would be great. We were thinking of the International School of Curacao.....
Thanks in advance!
Kind regards

kalulu