British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/)
-   -   Brit & US Husband and wife moving to Caribbean ... Need Help and info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/caribbean-121/brit-us-husband-wife-moving-caribbean-need-help-info-621492/)

Nauticalwonderland Jul 22nd 2009 3:04 am

Brit & US Husband and wife moving to Caribbean ... Need Help and info

Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope you all can help with some of our questions. I am a US citizen and my husband is a British citizen. We have an Internet business her in the US. Is it possible for us both to move to the Caribbean, Bahamas or such and not work in that Country since or business is in the US? Any idea of what would be required and what kind of problems or obsticals we would endure.

Thanks to all and hopefully you will be able to help with my questions, even the questions I didnt realize would be questions.

D

Foxy_fromCanada Jul 22nd 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Brit & US Husband and wife moving to Caribbean ... Need Help and info

In most of the islands, you would enter and be treated as a visitor, which gives you a limited time to stay (in Barbados it's 30 days). Usually, you can apply to have your visitor's stamp extended by a few months.

Each island is a little different, so you'd have to check out Immigration for the particular island you're thinking of moving to, in order to see how it might be possible to become a resident without citizenship or work permit.

Good luck.
Foxy

cartoon Jul 22nd 2009 1:49 pm

Owning property here in Barbados can help. I usually can get them to stamp my passport for 60 or 90 days at the aiport when I arrive on the island. (this only seems to have changed this year - before that it was 30 days mx)
My business is internet based so I can work anywhere I want to as long as I have a broadband connection.
I travel a lot so haven't had any reason to go to immigration. Well I did go once and it as hell. Queued for hours and was given a form to fill in. Maybe some day I will apply for residency but at the moment it hasn't been necessary.

Originally Posted by Nauticalwonderland (Post 7772788)
Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope you all can help with some of our questions. I am a US citizen and my husband is a British citizen. We have an Internet business her in the US. Is it possible for us both to move to the Caribbean, Bahamas or such and not work in that Country since or business is in the US? Any idea of what would be required and what kind of problems or obsticals we would endure.

Thanks to all and hopefully you will be able to help with my questions, even the questions I didnt realize would be questions.

D

larryetta3632 Jul 23rd 2009 3:07 pm

Hi,

We live on Exuma in the Bahamas....we own and operate a Guest House and Main House. We are U.S. Citizens and we are allowed to stay in the Bahamas for 8 months at a time and we must go off island for 24 hours and then we can return for another 8 months.

We DO NOT have to be residents....we are not working, we are retired...so we need no work permits.

If you have an internet business, we have high speed DSL available to every home. Your business is your business.

You just tell Customs that you are vacationers or retirees and you are going to be looking for property in the Bahamas to possiblhy buy or build a home.

We have hosted guests from all over the world. Maybe you need to come for a visit to Breezy Hill Exuma, Bahamas and see what it holds for you!

Thanks, Esther Taylor <REMOVED>

Nauticalwonderland Jul 24th 2009 7:04 pm

Thank you Esther,

You have been very helpful. We are still in the planning stages. I am sure I will have many questions for you in the near future.

Dee

larryetta3632 Jul 24th 2009 7:13 pm

Hi Dee,

We will await your questions.....if we can be of any further help, please let us know.

Our web site is: <REMOVED> it may have information that you can use for packing and air flights into the island.

Thanks for your response.

Larry & Esther

reaper27 Jul 26th 2009 7:12 pm

Since your husband is EU, you might be able to swing to live with a residence visa in some of the European off-shoot countries (St. Barths, St. Marten(french side)) as these overseas territories are considered part of France.

Do your research, but in theory for places like St. Barths, St. Marten, you could show up with your EU husband and apply for a residence card, similar to if you were going to France.

Be aware of tax implications.

Good Luck

JAJ Jul 26th 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by reaper27 (Post 7785891)
Since your husband is EU, you might be able to swing to live with a residence visa in some of the European off-shoot countries (St. Barths, St. Marten(french side)) as these overseas territories are considered part of France.

Do your research, but in theory for places like St. Barths, St. Marten, you could show up with your EU husband and apply for a residence card, similar to if you were going to France.

Be aware of tax implications.

Also beware of British husband losing green card in the USA, unless he is also a US citizen.