Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - Container shipping from the UK

Bermuda - Container shipping from the UK

Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Alicetravel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bermuda - Container shipping from the UK

Hi all,

I posted a few weeks back about my relocation package and got some really helpfully responses to thought I would seek your advice again

I have been looking for an apartment in Bermuda (always tricky when you are still not in country) but have generally noticed that the furnished places tend to be more expensive "city pad" style places. I also think a lot of the furniture looks really dated and just a bit grim really (i'm hardly snobby but some of it looks really bad)

So I have been looking into taking an unfurnished place and found a few nice places. I have been looking into shipping my goods across (furniture from a 1 bed flat in London) to Bermuda. Just had a quote back at $13k for a 20ft container. Seems like an awful lot to me. I will seek other quotes but wondered if anyone had recently made the move and if this sounded right? I will be looking to use the TRA so as to avoid paying duty but don't have receipts for everything (can't find the sofa's receipt for example). Any thoughts on if this is a problem or if customs use a degree of common sense.

Thanks so much again,
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bermuda - Container shipping from the UK

Originally Posted by Alicetravel
Hi all,

I posted a few weeks back about my relocation package and got some really helpfully responses to thought I would seek your advice again

I have been looking for an apartment in Bermuda (always tricky when you are still not in country) but have generally noticed that the furnished places tend to be more expensive "city pad" style places. I also think a lot of the furniture looks really dated and just a bit grim really (i'm hardly snobby but some of it looks really bad)

So I have been looking into taking an unfurnished place and found a few nice places. I have been looking into shipping my goods across (furniture from a 1 bed flat in London) to Bermuda. Just had a quote back at $13k for a 20ft container. Seems like an awful lot to me. I will seek other quotes but wondered if anyone had recently made the move and if this sounded right? I will be looking to use the TRA so as to avoid paying duty but don't have receipts for everything (can't find the sofa's receipt for example). Any thoughts on if this is a problem or if customs use a degree of common sense.

Thanks so much again,
Most folks in Bermuda obtain their furniture by going to garage sales held mostly by leavers - advertised in the Royal Gazette, to the extent that they do not feel their apartment already has adequate furnishings for their taste.

One can in fact accumulate some quite nice "stuff" by this route but it does take a bit of time unless you put a "push" on your attendance at such events. It's quite a hobby for some.

Furniture is also advertised on emoo.

http://emoo.bm/classifieds.aspx?moo&...idr=40&lang=en

In our last few years in Bermuda we had an apartment we had to furnish and got all the needed furnishings and the actual apartment in our parish of choice and desired area in that parish (on request) via emoo.

Others have split out the various costs for shipping into the Uk on here and a significant element is trucking from the port at the UK end and I would guess there is a heavy stuffing charge to get everything in and what of packing the items for safe shipping. It still seems high though but check the add-ons to the pure ocean freight element.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 25th 2013 at 10:05 pm. Reason: In our last few years in Bermuda...... an apartment we had to furnish
Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you. I had a look at the furniture on emoo - looks like things sell for quite a lot in BM! I may consider buying some new stuff when out there and selling when I leave as it looks like there is a good likelihood of making some of the costs back.......

I'll also get a breakdown on exact shipping costs - thanks for your advice
Old Jun 26th 2013, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alicetravel
Thank you. I had a look at the furniture on emoo - looks like things sell for quite a lot in BM! I may consider buying some new stuff when out there and selling when I leave as it looks like there is a good likelihood of making some of the costs back.......

I'll also get a breakdown on exact shipping costs - thanks for your advice
Indeed, I do remember observing that there is no such word as depreciation in Bermuda. This affects not only furniture but valuation of second-hand cars.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:24 am
Just Joined

bda_volcano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Indeed, I do remember observing that there is no such word as depreciation in Bermuda. This affects not only furniture but valuation of second-hand cars.
That was a few years ago. Now that Bermuda is in a downturn it can be very hard to unload furniture and other items as there's been a large exodus of Expats.

Lots of stuff can be bought on emoo. Also an important thing to consider with regards to any relocation package is that you'll eventually have to take your stuff back off island too if you don't sell it. That can be a huge hassle.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Hi guys, Thanks for the info. I am shipping everything out tomorrow - I found a company that are doing it all door-to-door for $10k. Still an enormous amount of money but it definitely seemed cheaper than buying stuff new out there for a 2 bed flat! The stuff on emoo looked really old and VERY expensive for what it was - the kind of stuff that would be sold at charity shops here for £100 is being sold at about five times that price there! I am just trying to make sure I really use this opportunity to get as much as I can out there! Tomorrow will be a lonnnnnggg day!!!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 9:58 am
Just Joined

MoMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alicetravel,
Good luck with your move.. I am in process of getting paperworks sorted for move to Bermuda from London. could you kindly provide me the detail for your shipping company please. Someone from our Bermuda office told me to buy flat packs and ship to Bermuda.. that way moving is apparently easier. I live in furnished flat in London as such don’t have much to move apart from my precious Tele and Home theatre (which is not going to go with me voltage difference and the weather kills electronics!!)
Quick question.. as for finding accommodation. .How is the market there? I get mixed messages from people.. some says you could find an one bed / studio for $1500.. I don’t mind living outside town.. did you go through agency or word of mouth?
Thanks
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi there! Yes - certainly can help. I got lots of quotes and went with Pickfords. I took everything - sofas, beds etc and they packed everything, provided a private sea container. They are also handling all customs paperwork and delivery/assembly Bermuda side. Not cheap but very good. I decided on an unfurnished apart in Bermuda as the furnished ones seemed lots more expensive, poorly finished and geared towards city living. i wanted a modern place but with space and near the beaches etc rather than in town. I opted for Warwick which is only 10/15mins from town but next to the beaches and ypu get more for your money. I used an agent and my boss kindly viewed the shortlist for me! I also negotiated (thr market is a bit depressed so you can bargain). i knocked a few hundred dollars off per month so got a large 2bed (1000sqft) 2 bed for 2.5k. For a furnished place it would have been more. Check out a few agents like Bermuda Realty, Rego Realty and emoo.bm for ideas.

If you only have a few items and nothing massively heavy then air freight may work better for you?

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi Alicetravel,
Thank you for the quick response and the shipping detail. Will definitely check them out. I might use the airfreight for my staff, you never know how much staff you have until you pack to move. As for the accommodation, I shall check online and once I am there. My office agreed to put me up on a service apartment for few weeks. I was told September is the main expat movement month hence was wandering if the property market is busy and demand.
Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
I hadn't heard that Sept is a busy month for expat moves.....not sure why it would be? Perhaps because of schooling for those with kids? Its great that they are putting you up - ideally you will want to see the options and get to know the areas. I think there are a significant number of properties that have been vacant for a while so definitely ask this question and negotiate accordingly. If you are a good, reliable prospect that can move quickly so landlords would be keen. Good luck and let me know if I can offer any further advice!
Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Hi,
I was told the Big4 brings in good number of September intakes and generally senior batches would move back or move on thats why there might be some activities in the housing market. Also, single (?) expats wait for the fresh batch coming in September for potential match .
Hope you are settling down well. I was told there is a company you can order furniture from US catalogue they charge cost +75% that covers all the moving and duty etc. Could be a cheaper option than moving everything from London.
Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:55 am
Just Joined

bda_volcano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MoMan
Hi,
I was told the Big4 brings in good number of September intakes and generally senior batches would move back or move on thats why there might be some activities in the housing market. Also, single (?) expats wait for the fresh batch coming in September for potential match .
Hope you are settling down well. I was told there is a company you can order furniture from US catalogue they charge cost +75% that covers all the moving and duty etc. Could be a cheaper option than moving everything from London.
Thanks
September and May are the two times a year that the accounting firms usually bring in people and people leave. It corresponds with training for their busy periods.

The company you mention is PriceBusters, they're in Mills Creek behind Hamilton. They're known to do Ikea stuff but will import nearly anything from the US at either a 75% or 85% markup (covering duty, shipping etc) depending on the size of the item. There are other companies that import as well if you're keen on new stuff. Emoo.bm is the local classifieds site which is where you can go to get lots of perfectly good used stuff.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,
Landed in Bermuda last Monday.. got a rental scooter (getting used to how it works).. looking for flat now.. so many advise from so many people.. getting a bit confusing.. just learnt that internet is a two supplier game.. you rent line from someone and service from someone else!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,
Landed in Bermuda last Monday.. got a rental scooter (getting used to how it works).. looking for flat now.. so many advise from so many people.. getting a bit confusing.. just learnt that internet is a two supplier game.. you rent line from someone and service from someone else!!!