Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Bermuda - Can I use UK electronic items?

Bermuda - Can I use UK electronic items?

Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

CharWalla is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bermuda - Can I use UK electronic items?

Hi,

Can anyone advise if I will be able to use my UK laptop / mp3 player / game console / etc in Bermuda please? I believe the mains accept US style 2 pin plugs (adaptor easy enough to get hold of) but would I need a step up transformer, such as in the link below, to run my stuff?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEP-UP-TRAVEL...1%7C240%3A1318

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,
Alan.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

CTID is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bermuda - Can I use UK electronic items?

Alan

Your laptop will be fine with a simple adaptor. As it has the power "brick" external, it transforms the 110/120 volts down to the voltage of your lappy anyway. The worst thing may be that it takes a little longer to charge. We've a couple of Dells' which run no problem (aside from the aesthetics of the fat UK plugs)

You can of course just pick up a US adaptor (targus, belkin do them)

MP3 player should also be ok, as it's just gonna recharge itself. Consoles maybe not, so you may want that adaptor for it - if it has a voltage switch on the back (a lot do) then you wont need it.

The only thing to remember is that you won't ever damage any equipment by trying, as the US voltage is lower - that would only be a problem if you were to take US stuff back home with you eventually. Worst case is that it'll charge slower, or just won't power up.

I use a "power monkey" which is like a little err "bomb" shaped battery with a multitude of adaptors (US/UK and a ton of phone/mp3/ipod connectors) so it'll charge anything from any voltage. Really neat unit and even has a solar top up, which is great for where you're going - like this one; here

Hope this helps

cheers

Andy
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

CharWalla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bermuda - Can I use UK electronic items?

Originally Posted by CTID
Alan

Your laptop will be fine with a simple adaptor. As it has the power "brick" external, it transforms the 110/120 volts down to the voltage of your lappy anyway. The worst thing may be that it takes a little longer to charge. We've a couple of Dells' which run no problem (aside from the aesthetics of the fat UK plugs)

You can of course just pick up a US adaptor (targus, belkin do them)

MP3 player should also be ok, as it's just gonna recharge itself. Consoles maybe not, so you may want that adaptor for it - if it has a voltage switch on the back (a lot do) then you wont need it.

The only thing to remember is that you won't ever damage any equipment by trying, as the US voltage is lower - that would only be a problem if you were to take US stuff back home with you eventually. Worst case is that it'll charge slower, or just won't power up.

I use a "power monkey" which is like a little err "bomb" shaped battery with a multitude of adaptors (US/UK and a ton of phone/mp3/ipod connectors) so it'll charge anything from any voltage. Really neat unit and even has a solar top up, which is great for where you're going - like this one; here

Hope this helps

cheers

Andy
Andy,

Thanks so much - Exactly what I was after! It's seems such straight-forward info, which you might expect to find somewhere online, is so hard to come by. Cheers.

Best Regards,
Alan.