Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Bermuda 2020 - Living Costs

Bermuda 2020 - Living Costs

Old Feb 18th 2020, 10:18 am
Just Joined

londontobermuda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bermuda 2020 - Living Costs

Hi All. We have decided as a family to relocate from London to Bermuda for around 3 years. I'm currently negotiating packages for work but is likely to be in the $150k + range. I've got a lots of questions for anyone who is more knowledgeable about Bermuda:
  • Salary - is $150k realistic for a family of four (me, wife and 2 children at private school)?
  • Schools - We would have 2 daughters starting in Foundation and Yr 1. Warwick Academy and Saltus Grammar look to be the two most popular that follow a UK based educational system? Does anyone have any views on teaching / facilities etc? Fees look to be approx $20k per year.
  • Housing Areas - I'm budgeting about $5k rent for a 2-3 bed house. Is this realistic? Where is the best place to live (we would have car and scooter)? And where to avoid? We don't want to be right on the middle of Hamilton and would prefer a bit of garden and quieter neighbourhood. Pool not needed.
  • Cars - what should I realistically budget for a second hand car? We don't need anything fancy, but something reliable to transport the family with car seats. I'm also budgeting about £3k for a scooter.
  • Visas - my wife would come initially on a spouse visa, but would then look to find a part time job locally (she works in healthcare) once we are settled. Is this realistic to change the visa once we are on the ground?
  • Clothes - what's the standard office attire for men in financial services? I'm assuming chinos / polo shirt? I'm late 30s. Do people really wear the shorts/socks combo or is more for formal occasions? Not a biggie just want to make sure we arrive with the right gear so don't have to fork out local prices for clothes.
  • Social - we are an outdoorsy, water sports family (which is the main appeal of moving to Bermuda for a few years). I assume we will pickup some new friends via the school network, but what are the best sports/social clubs etc to get involved with so we can meet some fellow families?
Please feel free to add any extra info you think we need to know. Thanks!
Old Feb 18th 2020, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bermuda 2020 - Living Costs

Originally Posted by londontobermuda
Hi All. We have decided as a family to relocate from London to Bermuda for around 3 years. I'm currently negotiating packages for work but is likely to be in the $150k + range. I've got a lots of questions for anyone who is more knowledgeable about Bermuda:
  • Salary - is $150k realistic for a family of four (me, wife and 2 children at private school)?
  • Schools - We would have 2 daughters starting in Foundation and Yr 1. Warwick Academy and Saltus Grammar look to be the two most popular that follow a UK based educational system? Does anyone have any views on teaching / facilities etc? Fees look to be approx $20k per year.
  • Housing Areas - I'm budgeting about $5k rent for a 2-3 bed house. Is this realistic? Where is the best place to live (we would have car and scooter)? And where to avoid? We don't want to be right on the middle of Hamilton and would prefer a bit of garden and quieter neighbourhood. Pool not needed.
  • Cars - what should I realistically budget for a second hand car? We don't need anything fancy, but something reliable to transport the family with car seats. I'm also budgeting about £3k for a scooter.
  • Visas - my wife would come initially on a spouse visa, but would then look to find a part time job locally (she works in healthcare) once we are settled. Is this realistic to change the visa once we are on the ground?
  • Clothes - what's the standard office attire for men in financial services? I'm assuming chinos / polo shirt? I'm late 30s. Do people really wear the shorts/socks combo or is more for formal occasions? Not a biggie just want to make sure we arrive with the right gear so don't have to fork out local prices for clothes.
  • Social - we are an outdoorsy, water sports family (which is the main appeal of moving to Bermuda for a few years). I assume we will pickup some new friends via the school network, but what are the best sports/social clubs etc to get involved with so we can meet some fellow families?
Please feel free to add any extra info you think we need to know. Thanks!
No idea but some good tips:

https://www.expatexchange.com/ctrygu...ing-to-Bermuda