B.V.I. tax-haven news

Old Jul 6th 2019, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default B.V.I. tax-haven news

The Bloomberg link below is for anybody interested in offshore tax-havens... BVI still has the reputation of being what we call "cowboy territory". All offshore havens start out that way, and gradually adopt more acceptable standards of behaviour. I was in the offshore trade in Bahamas back in the '60s and New Hebrides in the mid-'70s. When I first came to Cayman in the late '70s, standards weren't all that good either. Now it's BVI. Maybe TCI too; I don't really follow what's going on there. (I applied for the job of Registrar of Companies in the Turks at a time when I was in danger of getting deported by the ruling politicians here, but missed out. That might have been fun!)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...fshore-economy
Old Jul 8th 2019, 10:56 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B.V.I. tax-haven news

Im told by the more opulent inhabitants that although foreign income is not an issue here, the big offshore sums are moving to hong kong. Apparently the chinese are not at all concerned or impressed by the US or EU attempts to obtain information about their citizens holdings there. Do you think this likely?

Theres a story about a certain billionaire who lives here part of the year flying in with several suitcases of cash last month and driving straight to HSBC.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B.V.I. tax-haven news

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Im told by the more opulent inhabitants that although foreign income is not an issue here, the big offshore sums are moving to hong kong. Apparently the chinese are not at all concerned or impressed by the US or EU attempts to obtain information about their citizens holdings there. Do you think this likely?

Theres a story about a certain billionaire who lives here part of the year flying in with several suitcases of cash last month and driving straight to HSBC.

Not surprised about HSBC - it has a terrible reputation these days. And, yes, Hong Kong is lagging behind in the public-relations game too. When I first came to Cayman in 1978, within a week I was faced with a client who turned up with a suitcase with (he said) $30,000 inside and asked me to put it in his bank account. I said no I wouldn't do it, but he could deposit it himself if the bank would accept it. (I didn't know what the rules were, so early in my tenure.) I phoned Barclays Bank for him and they said, OK, send him down. And that's what happened. I shunted him off to another corporate-management company, and never had to face the problem again. Eight years earlier I had been in Nassau (Bahamas) where handling large sums of cash were a big no-no, at least in the company I was working for - one of the shareholders of which was HSBC!