Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Anyone out there from the Dominican Republic?

Anyone out there from the Dominican Republic?

Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

lindsdefeliz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone out there from the Dominican Republic?

Hi, I live in the Dominican Republic and was wondering if there are any more Brits here? I have met a few but there must be more lurking out there!
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone out there from the Dominican Republic?

Hi there,

Well I'm not in DR but looking into it. Currently still in the UK and got family in Trinidad so looking at a move to the caribbean. Trinidad seems so expensive now with real estate gone completely mad, crime is also very high. How are you finding the DR?

Regards

Phil
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

I have been here for ten years. I came as a scuba diving instructor on a 6 month contract and just stayed! The cost of living depends very much on where you live. If you choose a tourist and expat area on the beach it is significantly more than if you live inland in a Dominican community. I live in a little Dominican town and rent a large 3 bed 2 bath villa for just over 100 pounds a month. If you eat local food you can survive easily on 150 pounds a month. There are international supermarkets springing up everywhere and if you eat imported food it will cost you more. let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Hi again and thanks for the reply, even though I have lots of questions I don't want to hijack your post too much. My wife is a Trini and I have also lived there for about 10 years so I know what you mean by living as a local as opposed to living as a tourist, once you know where to shop prices come down alot.

Which areas do you recommend for a family to migrate to?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

It depends what you need. Schools and for what age, accommodation type, employment, internet, beach or mountains? Buy or rent. Don't worry at all about hijacking thread as at the moment seems only I live here lol.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

I've been looking at Sosua which seems nice. We only have 1 child of school age, she's nearly 12 now, my 2 boys are finishing college this year. I am hoping to be in a position to run my own business (ideally from home) but we'll have to see how that goes. I am currently working on that from here in the UK.

Good internet comms will be vital to me being able to do this so I hope Sosua is well connected?

Do you know if kart racing is popular over there, I race karts here (Rotax) and I would love to be able to continue racing?
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Sosua has two international schools so that will be no problem. Internet access is good all over the island and you have four providers to choose from so that will not be a problem. Sosua has many positives such as the schools, lots of expats, bars and restaurants, but it is all a bit of a sex tourism centre. It might also be worth looking at Cabarete which is only a few miles away and has lots of restaurants on the beach.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Sorry forgot about the karts! No is not big here at all, but I think there is a track - more for fun than professional - not far at all from Sosua.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

dthorold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I also live in the DR, been here nearly a year now and live in the big smoke (Santo Domingo). I have to say I thought I was the only Brit here till I read this. Lots of Americans but not met any Brits other than tourists or timeshares.

Regards

Dave T
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dave

I think there are quite a few but not many seem to have found this site and we are outnumbered by the Yanks! I must admit I go to Santo Domingo as little as possible, and live in the middle of nowhere! Lets see if we can get a few more on here!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

whirleybird is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found this thread and have lived nearby to Sabaneta de Yasica (east of Cabarete) since June 2006.

I also came from Devon, Phil.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

dthorold is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

So does everyone work in the tourist industry?

I currently help run a hotel and resort amenities company, we sell the free stuff you get in hotels ie soap, shampoo etc etc. We are based in Santo Domingo but I do travel a lot around the DR delivering and visiting hotels and resorts. I have to say that within 2hrs of driving you can go from beautiful golden sand beaches to rice paddy fields, to steep mountains and jungle. The only place I wouldn't recommend is Higuey as its a wee bit dodgy and I tend to drive through as quick as I can without running over the numerous motorbikes of course wish they don't make it easy to avoid them.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

I used to work in the tourist industry as a scuba diving instructor. Now I work as a writer, translator, researcher and blogger on the Dominican Republic and its people and culture.

I used to live in a resort on the south coast but now I live in a little barrio in the middle of nowhere!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

whirleybird is an unknown quantity at this point

No, I don't 'work' in any industry as came here to take early retirement but do sometimes do volunteer work in the veterinary clinic helping the dogs and cats on the North coast.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Zann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! I just found this thread and have lived nearby Santo Domingo since February 2010!
I love it here, people are really friendly and the weather is just perfect!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.