Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Anyone Living In St Martin?

Anyone Living In St Martin?

Old Oct 24th 2009, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Whatnext is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone Living In St Martin?

Hi guys, has anyone found anything additional of interest about cost of living?
I have spent the summer in St Maarten and have now been offered a permanent job out there if i want it but we haven't talked package yet. I speak French but my boyfriend doesn't so i wonder how he is going to find a reasonably well paid job? Also i have looked at rentals online-scarily expensive! I remember going to the supermarket and finding the food outrageously expensive. Flights are expensive too-not like in Europe where you can go away for the week end for under £100 with Easyjet! I loved St Maarten and could see ourselves enjoying the lifestyle for a couple of years but financially, could it be a very silly idea?
Thanks all and good luck!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Natmicstef is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it will be difficult for your boyfriend to find a job on the French side without speaking French and whilst he might find a job on the Dutch side, it is very difficult getting a work permit unless he has skills that locals don't. Rents are quite high but would be manageable with two salaries. Yes, flying off the island is also expensive; Having said all that though, the lifestyle is very nice and the joys of waking up to sunshine and warmth every day cannot be measured.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

alvinski is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Warwick
Hi All,

(SNIP)
I am a UK citizen but been living in the US for the last 15 months - my visa has not been extended so need to move out. As I am busy growing a business in the US I have chosen St Martin as the most convenient place where I can live without any red tape (French side at least) - set up my office there and run the business in the US from the island. Will probably be moving there late September.......so the adventure begins but I am sure it will be a great one. Anyone wanting more info on starting island life feel free to contact me from mid-October and I will answer any questions that I can from a newbie perspective!

W
Hey Warwick... any update on your time in Sint Maarten? - I'm here with my family of 5 and we bought a sailboat (docked at Turtle Pier on the Dutch Side). I'm a brit and the wife and kids US.. we're now figuring out all of the options to cut the ties from the US. What type of consulting are you doing?... I'm a internet/new media/film & video creative and production consultant and now that we have broadband on the boat we're living on US work... looking for a better excuse to stay here so seeking opportunities.

Have a great new year, and let me know if you have time for coffee and a chat.

Allan
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

kerryberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Was wondering if you can offer any inside advice on websites (none of the overpriced ones) for 2 bed villa/condos to rent for a couple of weeks late March in Simpsons bay?
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Thanks
Kerry
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Deb-123 will become famous soon enoughDeb-123 will become famous soon enough

Hi Kerry - I'm not sure I can claim any "inside advice" but I believe the lowest rates are offer by the owners of timeshares apts - of which there are many in Simpson Bay. You might find something suitable at www.cheapcaribbeanweeks.com The Royal Palm, Atrium & Pelican Resorts are all in Simpson Bay. There are some smaller condos actually on Simpson Bay beach & you can find details of these at www.gobeach.com/hotels.htm
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

kerryberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Deb-123,
I will have a look there. I really appreciate it
:-)
Old May 17th 2010, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

wannabeinsunshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Anyone Living In St Martin?

Hi everyone, i'm a newbie to forums but desperate for some information asap. Any help would be appreciated.

We want to relocate a business we have to Saint Martin. We are a married couple, UK citizens...therefor EU citizens. We have an adopted son who is not an EU citizen and envisage him having to have a visa to enter at least to begin with.

Can anyone confirm Saint Martin is a member of the EU ? and if they know if there is any difference to their rules for entry than any other EU member country.

I phoned the citizens signpost service for the European Commission today and they said the whole island was part of the Netherlands and to contact them ???

I have spent all day trolling the net for information. It appears that Saint Martin ISan EU member but is not party to the schengen treaty....does anyone know how this changes any of our rights as EU citizens.

Has anyone got any first hand experience in what and where to go.

I thought at first : OK, me and my husband are good to go....get son an entry visa from his home country or in something i read was that if we can prove dependency and proof of kinship ( adoption order ) the visa can be given on entry, apply to start business, get a residence permit and just renew his visa till his UK and EU status came through.

any help much appreciated
Old May 17th 2010, 6:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

St Maarten, Aruuba etc are all part of the Netherlands Antilles, so in theory will be subject to EU rulings ..... but if that actually happens I cant really say.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

wannabeinsunshine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
St Maarten, Aruuba etc are all part of the Netherlands Antilles, so in theory will be subject to EU rulings ..... but if that actually happens I cant really say.
Thanks for that but is that dutch st Maarten you are talking about or the French Saint Martin ?
Old May 17th 2010, 10:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabeinsunshine
Thanks for that but is that dutch st Maarten you are talking about or the French Saint Martin ?
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...b/stmartin.htm

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c.../caribb/an.htm
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Tylaaaa_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

im looking to do a gap year in st. martin..
i have an irish passport and i have accomidation as i no someone living on the dutch side
im 18 looking for any type of work going, just want experience working and living on the island.
im just wandering what i would need to work there(more on the dutch side as i probably wont be able to travel to the french side everyday.)
does anyone know if this is possible at all? should i look for a job first or should i just go over there and look for casual work?

any help is appreciated
thanks!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:54 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tylaaaa_
Hi everyone

im looking to do a gap year in st. martin..
i have an irish passport and i have accomidation as i no someone living on the dutch side
im 18 looking for any type of work going, just want experience working and living on the island.
im just wandering what i would need to work there(more on the dutch side as i probably wont be able to travel to the french side everyday.)
does anyone know if this is possible at all? should i look for a job first or should i just go over there and look for casual work?

any help is appreciated
thanks!
If I was in your shoes I would just turn up and look for casual work.

Im unsure if you can live on the Dutch side for more than 6 months without tax/visa complications, unsure why I think that but Im sure I read it somewhere.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice
Cool Re: Anyone Living In St Martin?

The French part - St Martin - is part of France (a department of Paris) & thus is part of the EU. An EU citizen has the same right to reside & work as they do in any other part of the EU. The Dutch part - Sint Maarten - is part of the Netherland Antilles & is not part of the EU. Thus, the only people with an automatic right to reside & work on the Dutch side are holders of Dutch or Netherland Antilles passports.

If Deb is still reading this, is this still the case?

"St Martin - is part of France (a department of Paris) & thus is part of the EU. An EU citizen has the same right to reside & work as they do in any other part of the EU. "

That pretty much sums it up there, and the proof is (at least I think this is proof) EU passport holders do NOT require a return or onward ticket.

Is that still correct? (for St. Martin specifically )
Old May 26th 2011, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Deb-123 will become famous soon enoughDeb-123 will become famous soon enough

Hi - yes, I am still reading this and yes, as far as I'm am aware, St Martin is still part of the EU. A few times I have flown from Paris to Guadeloupe and on to Grand Case (the airport on the French side). They are treated as domestic flights, no landing cards to fill in and no stamps in the passport. Things have changed on St Maarten (ie: Dutch side). Since 10th October 2010 ("10/10/10") St Maarten has attained country status and is answerable directly to The Netherlands and not to Curacao any more. The Netherland Antilles has ceased to exist. For EU passport holders the position remains the same - St Maarten, although still part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, it is not part of the EU.
Old May 26th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

Thanks Deb,
Your insight and information as to the local "situation" in St. Martin is truly invaluable.
As a British passport holder, I am hoping to spend some time in retirement there,
without all the paper work around immigration and residency. THANKS again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.