Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean
Reload this Page >

Advice needed! Opportunity to move to Canouan

Advice needed! Opportunity to move to Canouan

Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Jrmops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed! Opportunity to move to Canouan

After hunting for new opportunities for some time now, with little success, suddenly the opportunity has come our way to move to Canouan. My wife and I are experienced expats with long stints in the Middle East and Southern Europe. Despite this, and probably because we were blessed with a baby girl 14 months ago, we are feeling apprehensive about such a big move. With research and a realistic idea that cabin fever will never be far away on such a small island, we are asking for any advice from the expat forum. The job offer I have received would include accommodation, utilities, car, flights and healthcare, although the finer details have yet to be agreed. Does anyone know what cost of living we can expect? Any local knowledge great fully received.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 4:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed! Opportunity to move to Canouan

Hi Jrmops,

Welcome to BE. I've answered your other post but wanted to pop by here and say hi.

I hope you enjoy our little BE community here and if you get stuck on anything please give me a shout.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

carib54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jrmops
After hunting for new opportunities for some time now, with little success, suddenly the opportunity has come our way to move to Canouan. My wife and I are experienced expats with long stints in the Middle East and Southern Europe. Despite this, and probably because we were blessed with a baby girl 14 months ago, we are feeling apprehensive about such a big move. With research and a realistic idea that cabin fever will never be far away on such a small island, we are asking for any advice from the expat forum. The job offer I have received would include accommodation, utilities, car, flights and healthcare, although the finer details have yet to be agreed. Does anyone know what cost of living we can expect? Any local knowledge great fully received.
Jrmops- I've been there and done that.If your going down to work for who I think you are,I STRONGLY recommend leaving your wife and child home and go down on your own for a minimum of 3 months and see if it fits with what you want. Have an exit plan in place as soon as you can.

A Friend.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Sounds ominous carib54!

Can we discuss this further by email? let me know at <<snip>>

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Sue; Aug 13th 2012 at 1:40 pm. Reason: Email address removed. Not good to post your personal details in public.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Sounds ominous carib54!

Can we discuss this further by email? let me know at <<snip>>

Thanks for your reply.
Due to a non-disclosure contract (you will also need to sign) I need to be careful! Go on your own and make a few bucks(they do pay)I presume you are in construction. The turn over rate on this site is astronomical! With Your Wife and Child there,you Don't want to get stuck in a situation that's not right. A doctor visits the island once a week-the hospital is on St Vincent 1 hour away by plane. Housing is OK and they can follow when and if.

Thanks Sue for preserving my anonymity!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again carib54.

Food for thought. I am in construction related field. I'm guessing a high turnover rate due to isolation, single status contracts and corporate culture?

Not a positive situation that anybody would consider moving their family too.

Thanks Sue for preserving anonymity.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 6:04 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Once carib54 has made 3 posts you will be able to PM each other if you choose to do so.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again carib54.

Food for thought. I am in construction related field. I'm guessing a high turnover rate due to isolation, single status contracts and corporate culture?

Not a positive situation that anybody would consider moving their family too.

Thanks Sue for preserving anonymity.
Just read an article and had an email from a friend on Canouan, there is an out break of Dengue fever that "warrants urgent attention". WWW.Searchlight.vc