A whole year!

Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

charlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond repute
Default A whole year!

Well we have been here in Nova Scotia a whole year, well a year and a month to be precise and it has flown by. I have posted on here a few times over the past year, of our progress, so I won't go fully over everything that has happened.
To tell you the truth, it has all been quite easy really and I don't say that lightly, as I know how difficult it is for some people moving over. The biggest thing that has eased the transition has been having a job to come over to and that job turning out to be fantastic. It has meant that we haven't had to fritter away our savings on rent and general living expenses that your wage would normally cover. So having a job first before you come over is obviously preferable, but we would have come over without me having a job, \I was just lucky to get one just before coming over.
We were really lucky to find where we are living now just by chance. Hubbards is a lovely place, especially in summer; only thirty minutes into the city, but down on the lovely South Shore and we decided to buy almost immediately, then found somewhere we liked at a very good price.
Last winter was supposed to be one of the coldest in this region for years, but we didn't find it too bad and there were so many more sunny days than we are used to where we lived in Cornwall and that always helps. The summer was great, even though it wasn't supposed to be a very good summer. We always seemed to be down the beach, or canoeing and camping; Keji was great! The insects were as I suspected a right pain; in the spring I was eaten alive by blackfly and then the mozzies in the summer, but you can't have everything.
Even though we are both share a common language and history, everything is different here! Buying a car, registering it, insurance, heating, health; even the time you take your summer holiday. You don't really go to the Caribbean in the summer, it is too hot and having hurricanes! So you go in late winter/spring. Anyway it is lovely here in the summer, why go all the way down south!
Even though I have acclimatised now, I do feel it is generally more expensive; but that is something everyone is told before coming here, so we can't say we weren't told! There are ways to make things cheaper, you just have to work a bit harder finding them.
TV wise I have ditched cable, we only really have time to watch an hour or so in the night, so I have unblockus and watch BBC, ITV through my ipad, on the TV and we also have Netflix- job done. Cable is just 200 channels worth of dross and adverts!
I haven't made any real friends yet (must be me!), but y wife has made a really good friend of the lady next door and another lady from the UK. Maybe it is because I have thrown myself into work and haven't had much time, but it does seem quite difficult to get pass the first phase of Canadian niceness into making a friend?!
I could go on and on about our first year here, but suffice to say I and my family have no regrets whatsoever and love our new life. I mean it when I say that if anyone has questions they want answering about moving here, then feel free to PM me. I would love to be able to help someone adjust to this country and start their new life with as relatively an easy transition as we have had.
So that is it, one year, great start, job done!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:56 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A whole year!

Well done you! Congratulations on your first year. It really does start to settle down and things start to make sense more after a year.

I am so glad that you and your family have no regrets...I hope you continue to thrive in your busy lives and have an even happier second year
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:09 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and best wishes for many more happy years in NS.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Zhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to behold

What a lovely post! Thank you very much for sharing - I find it inspirational to read stories of success :-) (while failure stories are educational of course).
We have just landed in Toronto after 3 years of waiting and now my husband is frantically looking for jobs anywhere in Canada (he is an IT Director). We visited New Brunswick and Nova Scotia last year, loved it there, but there seem to be few employment opportunities for him. We've probably sent about a hundred CVs out, with no reply, but my husband is reluctant to follow them up with a call as suggested everywhere on BE. I'll have to keep on nagging, as he is planning to resign in June and move to Canada with job offer or without, which scares me quite a lot. So from this point of our journey I can see the enormity of your achievement and I with your family all the very best in making Canada home!
Zhanna
Old Dec 15th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Congratulations on your first year! We arrived a month before you but as far west as you can be from you! Glad to hear it is going well and you have no regrets. Life is for the adventure; you just never know where it takes you!
Best wishes for many more happy adventures to come!
PS don't envy you the flies...thankfully we don't have these here!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

newlife_canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlsar
Well we have been here in Nova Scotia a whole year, well a year and a month to be precise and it has flown by. I have posted on here a few times over the past year, of our progress, so I won't go fully over everything that has happened.
To tell you the truth, it has all been quite easy really and I don't say that lightly, as I know how difficult it is for some people moving over. The biggest thing that has eased the transition has been having a job to come over to and that job turning out to be fantastic. It has meant that we haven't had to fritter away our savings on rent and general living expenses that your wage would normally cover. So having a job first before you come over is obviously preferable, but we would have come over without me having a job, \I was just lucky to get one just before coming over.
We were really lucky to find where we are living now just by chance. Hubbards is a lovely place, especially in summer; only thirty minutes into the city, but down on the lovely South Shore and we decided to buy almost immediately, then found somewhere we liked at a very good price.
Last winter was supposed to be one of the coldest in this region for years, but we didn't find it too bad and there were so many more sunny days than we are used to where we lived in Cornwall and that always helps. The summer was great, even though it wasn't supposed to be a very good summer. We always seemed to be down the beach, or canoeing and camping; Keji was great! The insects were as I suspected a right pain; in the spring I was eaten alive by blackfly and then the mozzies in the summer, but you can't have everything.
Even though we are both share a common language and history, everything is different here! Buying a car, registering it, insurance, heating, health; even the time you take your summer holiday. You don't really go to the Caribbean in the summer, it is too hot and having hurricanes! So you go in late winter/spring. Anyway it is lovely here in the summer, why go all the way down south!
Even though I have acclimatised now, I do feel it is generally more expensive; but that is something everyone is told before coming here, so we can't say we weren't told! There are ways to make things cheaper, you just have to work a bit harder finding them.
TV wise I have ditched cable, we only really have time to watch an hour or so in the night, so I have unblockus and watch BBC, ITV through my ipad, on the TV and we also have Netflix- job done. Cable is just 200 channels worth of dross and adverts!
I haven't made any real friends yet (must be me!), but y wife has made a really good friend of the lady next door and another lady from the UK. Maybe it is because I have thrown myself into work and haven't had much time, but it does seem quite difficult to get pass the first phase of Canadian niceness into making a friend?!
I could go on and on about our first year here, but suffice to say I and my family have no regrets whatsoever and love our new life. I mean it when I say that if anyone has questions they want answering about moving here, then feel free to PM me. I would love to be able to help someone adjust to this country and start their new life with as relatively an easy transition as we have had.
So that is it, one year, great start, job done!
This a great post. Congratulations. Me and my husband are coming over in April on a Reece trip, and hopefully will meet someone like you to show us the ropes and share their experiences. Hopefully we will be moving out there in November.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newlife_canada
This a great post. Congratulations. Me and my husband are coming over in April on a Reece trip, and hopefully will meet someone like you to show us the ropes and share their experiences. Hopefully we will be moving out there in November.
Lots of British Nova Scotians here... If you do facebook, check these links out. That's where a lot of us hide out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/185209748193973/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/besofnovascotia/
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

So nice to hear something positive about Nova Scotia. My wife and I have spent the last 5 1/2 years in Calgary and have decided to make the move to NS in a few months.
Best wishes for 2014!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:04 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the undutchables
So nice to hear something positive about Nova Scotia. My wife and I have spent the last 5 1/2 years in Calgary and have decided to make the move to NS in a few months.
Best wishes for 2014!
What is about NS that is offsetting the rather substantial tax hike you'll experience?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
What is about NS that is offsetting the rather substantial tax hike you'll experience?
NS is not all bad... It grows on you actually...
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

charlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond reputecharlsar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, apologies for not getting back to thank you all for your messages. With regard to the 'what is it that is offsetting tax hike' question. Well I (with my wife's part time job, chipping in as well) seem to be earning enough to be able to live fairly comfortable at the moment. As I was in the Royal Navy for most of my life, I haven't been the highest of earners, but we can do most things we want, we still have to be fairly careful. I have always lived by the sea and that is a fairly big pull. When I drive to work every morning, it is a thirty minute drive around st. Margaret's Bay and it is beautiful, no traffic lights either. It always brings a smile to my face! I could go on, beach five minutes away, 5000 lakes to canoe etc. But we feel at home, live quite well and that'll do for me! But roll on summer, bored with winter now
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:57 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Bored with winter too! Great post. Love hubbards and that south shore drive always makes us stop to take photos as often as possible.
Sometimes I think the tax hike is worth it, the price you pay to be able to live here
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

A nice post to read! Great it has been going well for you

NS is a lovely province, I was lucky to get to Halifax last summer and luckily there weren't any blackfly's there!

All the best for the future
Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by orly
How about the fact that, right now, at 8am in NW Calgary, the temp is reading -31, with the windchill it's -40!

In Halifax right now, the temp is +2.

The fact that I work outside, to me that is a big offset.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:13 pm
Been here a while

Sealaig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlsar
Hi all, apologies for not getting back to thank you all for your messages. With regard to the 'what is it that is offsetting tax hike' question. Well I (with my wife's part time job, chipping in as well) seem to be earning enough to be able to live fairly comfortable at the moment. As I was in the Royal Navy for most of my life, I haven't been the highest of earners, but we can do most things we want, we still have to be fairly careful. I have always lived by the sea and that is a fairly big pull. When I drive to work every morning, it is a thirty minute drive around st. Margaret's Bay and it is beautiful, no traffic lights either. It always brings a smile to my face! I could go on, beach five minutes away, 5000 lakes to canoe etc. But we feel at home, live quite well and that'll do for me! But roll on summer, bored with winter now
St Margaret's bay is a beautiful area, NS is a beautiful place, lots of beaches, lakes, trails etc.. If that's your kind of thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.