British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   Three years today (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/three-years-today-844216/)

helcat12 Oct 1st 2014 3:11 am

Three years today

So, three years have gone by since I landed at YVR and I am thinking over what has happened in that time.

When I arrived, I couldn't even work for the first two months. Then I was only TWP, working Christmas season in a shop.
5 months after arriving, they granted my PR.

I have worked hard to get my career back.
Three years to go from no right to work at all to having my Professional Teaching Certificate and a full time teaching position with my own class and classroom in a lovely, welcoming school with wonderful staff where I feel I fit in.
That can't be bad.

We have a lovely place to live, not without its issues initially, but OK now, I think. :fingerscrossed: It is beautiful and tranquil all year round. Sitting all day in the cool river in 30 degrees under a cloudless sky, with a stunning view of the mountains, not seeing another soul, just five minutes from home, was such a wonderful thing this summer.
Not something we could have done in England!

We have a couple of friends locally, and I have made friends and gained some respect in Folk circles here as a performer. That feels good.

Tomorrow is our 20th wedding anniversary.
I have a devoted, loving husband who has helped me so much. Perhaps without this move, we might not be so close now.
Adversity brings some couples together and drives others apart. Thankfully, we are the former.

I still miss England, the Folk music scene, the pub sessions, the singarounds and festivals.
I miss my friends and family more than I expected, considering I didn't see my family very often in England.
I miss the sense of humour, the familiarity, the warmth and the frankness.

When people ask me if I like living in Canada, I still don't know what to reply, but I try not to fret about that.
It is what it is.
I do feel like me and Neil have come a long way in three years and have both surmounted some personal obstacles to achieve success, so there is a lot to celebrate.

I wonder how my feelings might change over the next few years.
Will I come to think of Canada as home?:unsure:

Steveh27wp Oct 1st 2014 11:26 pm

Re: Three years today

Hearty congratulations to you on your Canniversary; as you are aware, you are almost exactly one year behind me.
Shame about the issues you had with your home....but is sounds as though you are happier with it now.
Just between you and me, I reckon we live in one of the nicest spots in BC.( We should'nt say too much, though or everyone will want to live here.);)
Also, happy anniversary for tomorrow ... hope you have a great day.
Best wishes, Steve

helcat12 Oct 2nd 2014 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp (Post 11425202)
Hearty congratulations to you on your Canniversary; as you are aware, you are almost exactly one year behind me.
Shame about the issues you had with your home....but is sounds as though you are happier with it now.
Just between you and me, I reckon we live in one of the nicest spots in BC.( We should'nt say too much, though or everyone will want to live here.);)
Also, happy anniversary for tomorrow ... hope you have a great day.
Best wishes, Steve

Thanks, Steve!
We had a few issues early on that took a lot of sorting out. We were living here for two years, with a lot of aggro, before things finally were resolved.
Now it is calmer, we can make our home our own.
Our neighbours are lovely and of all nationalities.
It is magical here at all times of the year. Glad it is deemed too far and too wild for the urbanites, who make it as far as Cultus Lake and no further. ;,)

dishwashing Oct 2nd 2014 3:00 am

What a beautiful post, helcat, and a great journey. Wishing you much happiness and tranquil times ahead!

PS whereabouts in BC are you?

ann m Oct 2nd 2014 3:57 am

Hey, congrats guys. Can't believe it's been 3 years. It took us till about our fifth year to really start to feel settled. Keep going and just see where life takes you.

Calgary and Edmonton have lots of festivals if you ever fancy branching out for a long weekend! ;)

Sunryder Oct 2nd 2014 10:44 am

Congrats and all the best for the future

helcat12 Oct 2nd 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by dishwashing (Post 11425322)
What a beautiful post, helcat, and a great journey. Wishing you much happiness and tranquil times ahead!

PS whereabouts in BC are you?

Thanks! It has seemed fraught and frantic so far. Every time we think it has calmed down and we can settle for a while, stuff happens.

We are on the fringes of civilisation:p , somewhere near Chilliwack.

helcat12 Oct 2nd 2014 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 11425351)
Hey, congrats guys. Can't believe it's been 3 years. It took us till about our fifth year to really start to feel settled. Keep going and just see where life takes you.

Calgary and Edmonton have lots of festivals if you ever fancy branching out for a long weekend! ;)

Thanks, Ann m.
I am getting some Folk contacts in Seattle now through performing as well, which is reasonably accessible (for here) and has lots of Folk things on.
I''ll look up those locations!

Geordie Lass Oct 2nd 2014 4:06 pm

Congratulations!

It sounds like you have given it your all and what a success story!

I think it takes a long time for Canada to feel like it's home. I feel like it is most of the time. I still feel like an alien sometimes tho!!!

helcat12 Oct 3rd 2014 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 11425911)
Congratulations!

It sounds like you have given it your all and what a success story!

I think it takes a long time for Canada to feel like it's home. I feel like it is most of the time. I still feel like an alien sometimes tho!!!

That's kind!
I have worked so hard - volunteering my time for free to get noticed and get a way in. It worked, though!
Now, I think as long as I have my husband and we are happy together, wherever we are or what we do doesn't matter.
Emigrating has been a bit of a "Wizard of Oz" ending moment for me.
Home is where your heart is, they say.

dishwashing Oct 4th 2014 6:01 pm

Cool

MillieF Oct 6th 2014 12:13 am

Well done Helcat...I always remember that we arrived at practically the same time, me to look around, and you for PR.

The time goes fast...I can't believe it's 3 years for you! You have sorted your life out, bit by bit...what more can one ask for...sounds like you've had fun along the way too!

Very best wishes to you both!

helcat12 Oct 6th 2014 2:58 am

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11428966)
Well done Helcat...I always remember that we arrived at practically the same time, me to look around, and you for PR.

The time goes fast...I can't believe it's 3 years for you! You have sorted your life out, bit by bit...what more can one ask for...sounds like you've had fun along the way too!

Very best wishes to you both!

So kind, MillieF.
Time does fly.
This immigration thing is a work in progress.