Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Thoughts after one year in Nova Scotia.

Thoughts after one year in Nova Scotia.

Old May 5th 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of
Default Thoughts after one year in Nova Scotia.

Hello all. Yes, a year today (May 5th) here in Nova Scotia. My brief observations. It is a lovely province with still a lot more for me to explore. I love having the space around where I live.

Jobs are difficult and I am in a fortunate position of not having to find one but it could be tough here in a rural part of NS that I am in. Things are a little more expensive than I had budgeted for largely owing to the exchange rate as my income is derived from the UK.

Grocery shopping is expensive compared to the UK but I appreciate that one must not really make that comparison but you can't help it. Petrol is cheaper of course which helps the budget. I love my wood stove and wood furnace and if needs be, given where I live, I could be self-sufficient in wood here, so cost of heating could be very low.

Alcohol is very expensive and I really don't like the rigorous controls around it. I mean, you can't even by alcohol in a supermarket.

Car insurance is also steep but I have simply got collision only. I don't think anyone who might be considering coming over here, should be under the illusion that things are going to be easy. Ensure you either have money or a good job lined up. Always ensure you have money for that rainy day. You can live here cheaply if you wanted to as I do.

From my point of view when I wake up in the morning I still feel very lucky to be here. Whether I would feel the same if I then had to go out to work, I don't know. There is very little I have missed about the UK. Having said that, I am being enforced to make a return there and for the foreseeable future will be using my house over here as a summer house.

However, I will have completed a year and a half of residency by that time and it should be pretty easy to reach my two year or 730 requirement in order for me to legitimately re-apply for a PR card. There we are, just a few thoughts of mine.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts after one year in Nova Scotia.

Congratulations on your first year. We came over in August so a little bit behind you! Sorry to hear though that you are having to go back to the UK.

I would agree with everything you have said. I work though so my life is different. We have been very fortunate to find jobs in Yarmouth of all places! We're loving it here and providing the sun stays out we'll continue to be happy!

Safe return to the UK!