Survived year 1

Old Jun 5th 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice
Default Survived year 1

Well I can't believe it's been a year since we arrived, it's flown by in some ways and really feels like a lifetime in other ways.

We were lucky that hubby had a permanent job to come to and he arrived a month before me and the kids. He was able to find a rental and suss out stuff and do all the painful admin that goes with setting up somewhere new.

First 3mths were a breeze, everything was shiny and new and we all felt like we were on an extended vacation enjoying the Kelowna sunshine! Come October we had a tricky spell with the kids, especially our 9yr old settling into the routine of school/friends. Then in the run up to Christmas everyone was missing family and friends, I was bored being an at home mum and the rental house was driving us all crazy.

Fast forward to January and things were on the up. I was offered a good job and we were excited to start house-hunting. We were loving all the amazing winter sports and felt like life couldn't be better, then it all changed. Literally a week later, I had a cardiac arrest whilst at the ice-rink with the kids and ended up being air-ambulanced to hospital in Victoria (6hrs hours from where we live) and spent the best part of a month there getting 3 heart surgeries and a diagnosis of heart failure - definitely a low point.

This really changed the perspective for us in good and bad ways. The last few months have been especially hard for me, I'm still too unwell to look for work and have a lot of physical limitations. As a very fit and active person, it's not at all what I thought my life here would be! However, on the plus side in the time of crisis, we were amazed at the support and kindness of our Canadian friends and it really galvanized our friendships. I'm also lucky to have an amazing team of medical people looking after me and the level of cardiac care here has been very impressive.
Surviving the whole ordeal, really makes anything else seem like small beer in comparison, so nothing really phases us now.

So, here we are one year later. Hubby was promoted and starts his new job today - yay! We finally bought a place that we love and are moving in next week. Kids are happy, doing great at school and they are much more sporty, outgoing and confident than they were before.

Overall, in spite of the medical drama, life here has exceeded our expectations and nobody wants to go back to the UK. So looks like it's onto year 2 and whatever that brings....
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survived year 1

Hello bcmama

That's pretty heavy going with the medical stuff but its good to hear that you managed to get through it.
All the best for you and the family
Old Jun 5th 2014, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcmama
Well I can't believe it's been a year since we arrived, it's flown by in some ways and really feels like a lifetime in other ways.

We were lucky that hubby had a permanent job to come to and he arrived a month before me and the kids. He was able to find a rental and suss out stuff and do all the painful admin that goes with setting up somewhere new.

First 3mths were a breeze, everything was shiny and new and we all felt like we were on an extended vacation enjoying the Kelowna sunshine! Come October we had a tricky spell with the kids, especially our 9yr old settling into the routine of school/friends. Then in the run up to Christmas everyone was missing family and friends, I was bored being an at home mum and the rental house was driving us all crazy.

Fast forward to January and things were on the up. I was offered a good job and we were excited to start house-hunting. We were loving all the amazing winter sports and felt like life couldn't be better, then it all changed. Literally a week later, I had a cardiac arrest whilst at the ice-rink with the kids and ended up being air-ambulanced to hospital in Victoria (6hrs hours from where we live) and spent the best part of a month there getting 3 heart surgeries and a diagnosis of heart failure - definitely a low point.

This really changed the perspective for us in good and bad ways. The last few months have been especially hard for me, I'm still too unwell to look for work and have a lot of physical limitations. As a very fit and active person, it's not at all what I thought my life here would be! However, on the plus side in the time of crisis, we were amazed at the support and kindness of our Canadian friends and it really galvanized our friendships. I'm also lucky to have an amazing team of medical people looking after me and the level of cardiac care here has been very impressive.
Surviving the whole ordeal, really makes anything else seem like small beer in comparison, so nothing really phases us now.

So, here we are one year later. Hubby was promoted and starts his new job today - yay! We finally bought a place that we love and are moving in next week. Kids are happy, doing great at school and they are much more sporty, outgoing and confident than they were before.

Overall, in spite of the medical drama, life here has exceeded our expectations and nobody wants to go back to the UK. So looks like it's onto year 2 and whatever that brings....

Well that's certainly be a roller coaster year for you all, unfortunately for the wrong reasons, but through that you have found who your good friends are. sounds like you have a few good ones around you.

I do hope your recovery is quick so you can get back to enjoying what you came to Canada to enjoy. It sounds like you going in the right direction, and things are starting to look good again!

All the best.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap. That was a bit of a baptism of fire into the BC health service! Couldn't you have sprained your ankle or something?

Glad to hear things are on the up. Take good care if yourself and allow yourself to heal.

Here's to a less eventful Year Two.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Missed seeing your post until now! Saying that your first year in the valley was a roller coaster ride would be an understatement! Hoping this year will treat you so much better and that your family will have many wonderful experiences together.