Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Still Homesick after a year!

Still Homesick after a year!

Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still Homesick after a year!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
As a Canadian, would he need a TWP?
Ah, no, in which case he wouldn't and Vicky can't get a SOWP! I read it as a typo for 'in Canada', but maybe it should have been 'is Canadian' - either way it's only one letter wrong, but does change the meaning quite a bit!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Vicky0304 is an unknown quantity at this point

my husband has sponsored me to get my PR visa as he is a permanent resident in Canada, we were told that was the only option so I could work as I am over 30.....i dont mind waiting although i think being able to work would help me settle in sooner and meet others.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 2:32 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
+ 2...Novo (who always says what he means, and means what he says;!) sounds like he's got it in one.
Following up an incorrectly placed semicolon with an exclamation mark does not sit well with me (as you might guess). But thanks for that remark anyway.

Have all your moves around the world been pure whimsy, or like me, in pursuit of anticipated career development?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

Originally Posted by orly
I think it was harder for me to attend the funeral (grandmother) than for my brother and cousins as they'd all been able to spend time with her and say their goodbyes. While she was sick it was fairly sudden so in the end I never had a chance to even chat to her on the phone at the end. The 3am "bad news, better get a plane ticket" call is never fun.

UK is always "home" but after the trip it was nice to get back to Canada to my "home" these days. Where my wife is. My stuff. My sofa. My job etc.
Yes, know the feeling, for me it was my mother.. A phone from my brother ~ the rush to the airport, taking the 'quicker' route with a stop in Calgary than waiting for a later direct flight.. As it happened I was stuck on tarmac for 80 mins as they decided as so many people were connecting from Edmonton it was worth their while waiting... That wait was the difference between life and death.. I missed saying goodbye to my Mum by 20 minutes!! My sister had said all through the night ~ you are going to hang on for '*****(me) aren't you.. she'll be here between 12 and 1 .. my mum was semi coherent and nodded.. at 20 after 1 my sister said it's ok if you need to go and she slipped away
Now, being so far from 'home' and yes after 24 years here I finally have admitted to myself it is home.. My hubby was seriously ill last year so the shoe was on the other foot.. I felt isolated and alone.. With all the family and close lifelong friends in the UK.. I feel the need to have family and a good support network close at hand..
We can no longer afford the High end exec house we used to own in the UK, property prices here just haven't kept up.. The reality is sinking in it will have to be some sort of compromise.. Perhaps Spain ~ that way it's just 3 hours travel time door to door that the 23hrs with connecting flights from small town BC..
''
''

Last edited by Golden-eye; Jan 7th 2014 at 5:42 am.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
We are from Steyning, very close! We will be taking a trip back soon and see what happens. I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet, even if we go for a trip and decide to move back, there are things I still want to do and take advantage of while we're here.
Hey, neighbour! We're from Storrington!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

I was whacked with homesickness about 18 months ago, after almost 4 years of being perfectly happy here. We've decided we'll probably move back to the UK next year, as it's gotten worse and worse for me too.

Nothing to add really, except good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hey, neighbour! We're from Storrington!
I lived in Worthing, many years ago!

Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Veeerrry small world!!!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Veeerrry small world!!!
Very. I was walking along the beach in Phuket many years ago and bumped in to an old co-worker from Platform 1 in Bristol, then when I was in hospital in HK (having my son) another co-worker from the same place was in the next room!

Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

When we first arrived in New Zealand , husband went to the barbers ( not that he had much hair) The barber was an elderly man who emigrated in the 60's. Turned out he had lived in the same Wolverhampton street as OH & they would have been in that street at the same time.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

cjlowndes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
We are from Steyning, very close! We will be taking a trip back soon and see what happens. I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet, even if we go for a trip and decide to move back, there are things I still want to do and take advantage of while we're here.
Do you know Russell Harvey?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

cjlowndes is an unknown quantity at this point

very small world, I'm from Ham road.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

Very. I was walking along the beach in Phuket many years ago and bumped in to an old co-worker from Platform 1 in Bristol, then when I was in hospital in HK (having my son) another co-worker from the same place was in the next room!

OMG ~ Platform 1 You are showing your age !! I guess our paths may well have crossed, although it was my sister who frequented P1 and The Mandrake more than me.. I think her and a friend even worked at Platform 1 for a while.. I had my engagement party there

Funny about being a small world.. I got chatting to a guy who owned a restaurant in my small town, he's Canadian, I said "You look awfully familiar our paths must have crossed somewhere"... Turned out he lived in Bristol for a few years, his GF was from there, it was over the same period that I used to frequent the restaurant where he served..... He then said that he lived in Victoria for 5 years (same 5 years that I lived there) he was the maitre d' at a small restaurant Hubby & I along with friends would frequent on all our special occasions.. It transpired that he moved to the same small BC town within 6 months of us moving there.. I bumped into him recently and he jokingly said, where in the world are we heading to next !

Last edited by Golden-eye; Jan 14th 2014 at 4:09 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Golden-eye
OMG ~ Platform 1 You are showing your age !! I guess our paths may well have crossed, although it was my sister who frequented P1 and The Mandrake more than me.. I think her and a friend even worked at Platform 1 for a while.. I had my engagement party there

Funny about being a small world.. I got chatting to a guy who owned a restaurant in my small town, he's Canadian, I said "You look awfully familiar our paths must have crossed somewhere"... Turned out he lived in Bristol for a few years, his GF was from there, it was over the same period that I used to frequent the restaurant where he served..... He then said that he lived in Victoria for 5 years (same 5 years that I lived there) he was the maitre d' at a small restaurant Hubby & I along with friends would frequent on all our special occasions.. It transpired that he moved to the same small BC town within 6 months of us moving there.. I bumped into him recently and he jokingly said, where in the world are we heading to next !
No way!! I worked there 5 nights a week, saving up to go to S.Africa to see my sister whilst still working a day job. I was there when it first opened - when we had to wear uniforms (fedora hat anyone?) - I also used to go to the Mandrake. There was a great cafe that was open until 4am as well, just round the corner where I used to go on weekends after work. I also used to do the after hours 'lock in' when there were visiting bands, that's where I had the absolute honour to serve Brian May and Freddie Mercury when Queen were playing in Bristol.

It's a very small world indeed, lol.

Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I understand 'lock in' from bar-maiding days.

I spent a great night once at the 'get out' with the 'It Aint' Half Hot Mum' lot

Was a bit good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.