Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Still Homesick after a year!

Still Homesick after a year!

Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still Homesick after a year!

I think in the UK, rural locations are still very much entrenched in urban culture of convenience, because even though you may be physically rural in your immediate surroundings, you're still only a very short distance away from 65 million other people, and all the infrastructure that can only exist with such a population density (sophisticated networks of public transit, diversity of retail/food products, a diversity of lifestyles, economies, arts, big cosmopolitan cities, etc).

By comparison Canada, you have 35 million people spread across a vast geographical location - continental in size. What's available to you immediately nearby is much more limited. You don't have 65 million people immediately nearby. You're lucky if you have 2 million people nearby. Halifax, for example, is the big city of Nova Scotia with 375,000 people... the entire province has less than 1 million people. We're talking a type of low population density that people in the UK are completely unaccustomed to.

There are only a handful of places in Canada with high population densities - the Lower Mainland of BC, Montreal Island, and Southern Ontario come to mind. Outside of these pockets of population density, if you choose to live a rural life, the culture of the community is more pioneering and self-sufficient. Canada's population is too small and it's spread out too much to offer the same otherwise.

Many British Expats take this population density for granted, I think. Take somebody used to living entrenched in the UK's urban convenience and throw them in a rural location where self-sufficiency, function over form, and pioneer lifestyles are the norm, and you get culture shock... and if they don't learn to accept this way of life, they ultimately resent it.

Southern Ontario is very much one of the most urban regions in Canada, and the infrastructure and high population density there is probably what makes it more similar to the UK.

Last edited by Lychee; Dec 17th 2014 at 9:26 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 9:24 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
I think in the UK, rural locations are still very much entrenched in urban culture of convenience, because even though you may be physically rural in your immediate surroundings, you're still only a very short distance away from 65 million other people, and all the infrastructure that can only exist with such a population density (sophisticated networks of public transit, diversity of retail/food products, a diversity of lifestyles, economies, arts, big cosmopolitan cities, etc).

By comparison Canada, you have 35 million people spread across a vast geographical location - continental in size. What's available to you immediately nearby is much more limited. You don't have 65 million people immediately nearby. You're lucky if you have 2 million people nearby. Halifax, for example, is the big city of Nova Scotia with 375,000 people... the entire province has less than 1 million people. We're talking a type of low population density that people in the UK are completely unaccustomed to.

There are only a handful of places in Canada with high population densities - the Lower Mainland of BC, Montreal Island, and Southern Ontario come to mind. Outside of these pockets of population density, if you choose to live a rural life, the culture of the community is more pioneering and self-sufficient. Canada's population is too small and it's spread out too much to offer the same otherwise.

Many British Expats take this population density for granted, I think. Take somebody used to living entrenched in the UK's urban convenience and throw them in a rural location where self-sufficiency, function over form, and pioneer lifestyles are the norm, and you get culture shock... and if they don't learn to accept this way of life, they ultimately resent it.

Southern Ontario is very much one of the most urban regions in Canada, and the infrastructure and high population density there is probably what makes it more similar to the UK.
Excellent post. As you say, two very different versions of "rural".
Old Dec 18th 2014, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Agree 100%. In the UK you get the "prettiness" of rural but the convenience of urban all within an easy commute.
While living in NS we wouldn't think twice about driving all the way to Halifax from Yarmouth which was a 700km round trip... In the UK we wouldn't even consider that unless it was for a long weekend or even a weeks holiday!!
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Alternatively, two very different versions of a first world country.

But +1 on a good post by Lychee.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 9:40 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Completly agree with Lychees comments. In UK you have "rural", in Canada you have "Back country," and the two have no comparison to the other.
Everywhere changes over the years. When I first visited Vancouver over 20 years ago, it was a very different prospect than it is now IMHO. The UK too has changed, (not for the better). I think it matters where you are though. Some places fluctuate far more than others. 2 years ago we were still in England, in a Rural community that hadn't changed in the 10 years that I knew it, a strong feeling of belonging, tradition and permanence.
And before Novo or Oink says something witty, yes it's Middle England, but I love it!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 9:50 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oilengineer
Interesting, I am a newbie here and I am considering moving over to Canada for a better life. For me as a born and bred british white Christian, I almost feel like a foreigner and 2nd class citizen in my own country now . You just may find that Britain is not quite the same Britain as it was say 10 years ago. To the point where I think I am about done here now. Please weigh all this up before you leave Canada. Mass uncontrolled immigration to UK is the reason I am about to up sticks. I know I too am a migrant coming to Canada but hopefully I am bringing my skills and can contribute to Canada. I am not going there with the attitude of what Canada can do for me or what can I take from Canada, but more like what can I do for Canada. All I ask in return is to be able to live my life in peace and harmony with my neighbours.
Welcome Oilengineer. Interesting post, but I would beware of building somewhere up as your Shangri la, as you may be up for a fall. I believe you may feel the lack of a nationally recognized religion, which the UK still has.
Last Christmas was our first here, and when my daughter realized that there wasn't going to be a school nativity or alike, she ( a 9 year old) asked the head why. The answer was because they didn't want to upset anyone!!
This year again there was nothing.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 9:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
Last Christmas was our first here, and when my daughter realized that there wasn't going to be a school nativity or alike, she ( a 9 year old) asked the head why. The answer was because they didn't want to upset anyone!!
This year again there was nothing.
Silly, isn't it. If the celebration is Christmas, there's no harm in doing a nativity play. Everyone enjoys it and people will in fact get upset by it's absence.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AllyS
As a footnote: since moving here 3.5yrs ago I have developed a full blown anxiety disorder so medication and counseling for the foreseeable future.

Guess I have to think myself lucky really as 100yrs ago there was none of the medical/mental health care we have now. No counseling etc., you just got on with things.
Funny you said that. I developed anxiety after a year of being here. 4 1/2 years later and it's still there. Worse so now as I really want to go back home and be English again. Even if it means moving back into our tiny 3 up 2 down in the south east and traffic.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:09 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverjude
Funny you said that. I developed anxiety after a year of being here. 4 1/2 years later and it's still there. Worse so now as I really want to go back home and be English again. Even if it means moving back into our tiny 3 up 2 down in the south east and traffic.
That's a real shame. Do you think the anxiety is a result of Canada or would it have happened anyway? Where are you? What do you think has caused it?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 4:12 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
That's a real shame. Do you think the anxiety is a result of Canada or would it have happened anyway? Where are you? What do you think has caused it?
+1

Are you awaiting citizenship and the planning a return OJ?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
The way it was explained to me is that if you have a predisposition to depression/anxiety, a stressful event can trigger it.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverjude
Space is overrated. I think the large empty spaces in the US actually added to my own anxiety.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Space is overrated. I think the large empty spaces in the US actually added to my own anxiety.
Oh, I know. When I lived near LA I was terrified to drive further east than Riverside because I was quite sure the Yetis would get me.

Sally? Are you OK?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, I know. When I lived near LA I was terrified to drive further east than Riverside because I was quite sure the Yetis would get me.

Sally? Are you OK?
I'm good - in Brum but with American kids.

Where are you?
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:34 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm good - in Brum but with American kids.

Where are you?
Still where it says I am. The house here is going on the market on Tuesday and I give the last lecture of my last semester on Wednesday.

Interesting times. We'll be buggering off back to the EU in July (whether or not the house here has sold by then). F**k it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.