Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

Over 5 Years In Canada

Over 5 Years In Canada

Old Jan 23rd 2012, 2:21 am
Vi

rossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond reputerossandvi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Over 5 Years In Canada

Hi all,
Some of you old timers might remember me lol.
I have been here over 5 years now and at first it was our dream Ross and I,but fate had not agreed and my dear hubby died after being here just 18 months,I stayed her on the very beautiful Prince Edward Island and lifr went along quite well.After my husbands death the invites out stopped seems married women dont like widows around.lol have 2 really great friends 1 unmarried and 1 a widow so life does go on.No matter how hard one tries making friends on PEI is far from easy and i should know I have tried .It seems if your ''from away'' you never fit in although whenever any Canadian hears the Scottish accent they cant wait to tell you that their great grandfather came from Skye or Mull.In fact the island is populated by us from away and has been for hundreds of years but nobody talks about that.
I guess Canadian culture is very different from UK and strange in so many ways.Stay at home moms...........yes we hear you as you talk on and on to your children in a loud voice for all to hear,yes you are very important we know .............And yes its ok for you guys to talk down to us and and be rude but ......my god dont dare answer back the just cant take what they dole out.
A cheeseburger is Awsome...........The guys who can find a cure for cancer will be Awsome .a chesseburger well.......No
I went to the emergency room one night and waited 10 hrs to see the doctor..as every child admitted after me went ahead of me....Now I know children can become ill quite fast ...Nurse /Midwife. But just because little Wayn has a runny nose does he really have to come to the emergency room?
I think I am a patient woman and have good people skills i have used 30 yrs in midwifery but even i have to take a deep breath at times or i might lose the plot.Perhaps its an island thing I dont know but i agree with those who find it difficult at times.The place is beautiful its safe the crime rate is low and i love the island so i guess i will be here till i pop off. But if I were 20 yrs younger i might think again.
What am i trying to say..........ok moms if the little guy has a ruuny nose but can sit eating a bag of crisps drink a can of coke and then jump all over the seats annoying the hell out of everyone...HE IS NOT ILL. Take him home and do mom things dont take him to an emergency room. I was there because i had a fall after knee surgery 10 hrs later xray 5 # ribs. By that time all the others had ben seen and were home tucked up in bed. Welcome to Canadian Health System. PEI style. Anyways good luck to you all and I hope your dreams live on Vi.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 5 Years In Canada

I guess Im an old timer

WRT kids in the ER, trust me, its the last place we parents want to take them, but if you are one of the many without a GP, or you cant get in to see them for some reason and Jnr spikes a fever of 102, and the tele-health people bottle it and tell you to take them to the ER, what are you going to do...

Keep you chin up, making close friends is the hardest part of this emigrating business, you cant make it happen, all you can do it keep on "getting out there" until eventually you find people you click with....
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I guess Im an old timer

WRT kids in the ER, trust me, its the last place we parents want to take them, but if you are one of the many without a GP, or you cant get in to see them for some reason and Jnr spikes a fever of 102, and the tele-health people bottle it and tell you to take them to the ER, what are you going to do...

Keep you chin up, making close friends is the hardest part of this emigrating business, you cant make it happen, all you can do it keep on "getting out there" until eventually you find people you click with....
I thought that, in ER, patients are seen on a "most urgent first" basis. Difficult to see how Johnny's runny nose is more urgent than fractured ribs. As you know, I have kids too
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 1:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I thought that, in ER, patients are seen on a "most urgent first" basis. Difficult to see how Johnny's runny nose is more urgent than fractured ribs. As you know, I have kids too
Its based on triage, Im not going to second guess... Ive spent 6 hours there with Junior after teleheath told me to get our butts down to emerg PDQ...

I do agree with the OP though, based on local experience they could probably better manage the non life threatening caseload. But maybe kids with unexplained fevers get priority because of the range of potentially life threatening things it could be (but almost certainly isnt), I dont know.

I think the suspicion is that maybe they rightly or wrongly dont like adults being there that they think should be at an urgent care clinic the next day instead and are "teaching them a lesson"? who knows. Dont know the circumstances is the bottom line.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossandvi
Hi all,
I have been here over 5 years now and at first it was our dream Ross and I,but fate had not agreed and my dear hubby died after being here just 18 months,I stayed her on the very beautiful Prince Edward Island and lifr went along quite well.After my husbands death the invites out stopped seems married women dont like widows around.lol have 2 really great friends 1 unmarried and 1 a widow so life does go on.No matter how hard one tries making friends on PEI is far from easy and i should know I have tried .It seems if your ''from away'' you never fit in although whenever any Canadian hears the Scottish accent they cant wait to tell you that their great grandfather came from Skye or Mull.In fact the island is populated by us from away and has been for hundreds of years but nobody talks about that.
I guess Canadian culture is very different from UK and strange in so many ways.Stay at home moms...........yes we hear you as you talk on and on to your children in a loud voice for all to hear,yes you are very important we know .............And yes its ok for you guys to talk down to us and and be rude but ......my god dont dare answer back the just cant take what they dole out.
A cheeseburger is Awsome...........The guys who can find a cure for cancer will be Awsome .a chesseburger well.......No
I went to the emergency room one night and waited 10 hrs to see the doctor..as every child admitted after me went ahead of me....Now I know children can become ill quite fast ...Nurse /Midwife. But just because little Wayn has a runny nose does he really have to come to the emergency room?
I think I am a patient woman and have good people skills i have used 30 yrs in midwifery but even i have to take a deep breath at times or i might lose the plot.Perhaps its an island thing I dont know but i agree with those who find it difficult at times.The place is beautiful its safe the crime rate is low and i love the island so i guess i will be here till i pop off. But if I were 20 yrs younger i might think again.
What am i trying to say..........ok moms if the little guy has a ruuny nose but can sit eating a bag of crisps drink a can of coke and then jump all over the seats annoying the hell out of everyone...HE IS NOT ILL. Take him home and do mom things dont take him to an emergency room. I was there because i had a fall after knee surgery 10 hrs later xray 5 # ribs. By that time all the others had ben seen and were home tucked up in bed. Welcome to Canadian Health System. PEI style. Anyways good luck to you all and I hope your dreams live on Vi.
I must be an old timer as well! How lovely to hear an update from you, Vi! I've often wondered over the years how you were doing after Ross' passing. If my memory serves me, your son came over after you and Ross - id he still in Canada? I hear you about the hospital system and over-use and inappropriate use of Emerg services ... funnily enough, I manage a community-based fall prevention program and your story is not uncommon
Hope you feel better soon and that those # heal up!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:11 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossandvi
Hi all,
I remember you too, and the dreadful experience your Canadian dream became so soon after arriving. Good to see the update, hope you feel adequately vented and have now fully mended.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:25 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Add me to that list. Good o hear from you.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Vi

another old timer here. I don't look on BE that often anymore. Usually just when I need some info. Renewing my British passport now so on here to dig around for advice.
Its good to hear from you.
Sorry to hear about your ER experience. It's no better here in NB at times.
Iv'e been in the ER twice with an acute urinary tract infection and I have to say they got me in fairly quickly. On the other hand a farmer friend who badly mangled his elbow in a harvesting machine and was driven by his friend to the ER,,staggered up to reception in his ripped up clothes and was told to "take a number"!!!. Another waiting patient came up and wanted to give him her ticket as she was further up the queue! A security guard noticed him, went out to get a nurse and they then whisked him off to be dealt with appropriately. His subsequesnt surgery went very well and his care was very good.
But its not a perfect service. None are unfortunatly.

I trust all is well now.

Its good to hear from the oldies. Brace yourself for the oncoming winter. thats something I will never get used to!

Take care

Penny