British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   Our 6 month plus 2 weeks canniversay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/our-6-month-plus-2-weeks-canniversay-629620/)

The Ross Family Sep 7th 2009 8:40 pm

Our 6 month plus 2 weeks canniversay

I can't believe time has gone so quickly - in fact so fast I missed our 6 month canniversary so here is our 6 month and 2 week one.

The Good Stuff
My daughter is enjoying much more freedom here than she ever would have in the UK. The kids play out in the street and she cycles round to friends on our estate and I have finally managed to chill out about that.
School is much less rigid, more about looking after one another, therefore producing more rounded children. I am not quite out of my grammar school feeder mode but that will come now that I realise results are not the be all and end all.
Scenery and small town life, I don't miss the traffic, the graffiti or the lager louts we had in our part of SE England. A real community spirit with lots of activities for the family to enjoy and having the time to enjoy them!
We are slowly making friends, Expats and Canadians alike although more Expats at the moment. Those we have met have been friendly and encouraging and there is a real Dunkirk spirit as we discover the sameness and differences between here and the UK. Of course a special mention here to Eamonn and Janet of 'Getting There' for all their help and support.

Not So Good Stuff
Although my husband came out to a job (TWP) it took me a lot longer than I had anticipated to find a job here in Alberta. I can't even remember the number of resumes I posted and handed out - it must run into the 100's. I have now finally found a job that is equal to the one I had in the UK. Just finishing my probation period and they are already encouraging me to sign up for further qualifications. I work with a really lovely bunch of people who have been very welcoming and joke with me about my accent.
Of course we miss family and friends and this is especially noticeable at birthday time. My daughter had a wobble recently as her best friend in the UK didn't send her a card so at times like this it gets tough. Skype and Facebook keeps us 'in the loop' so to speak but not the same as popping round for a cuppa.

Conclusion
Overall the pluses outweigh the minuses. We are all more chilled and have more family time together - we enjoy the scenery and the activities that our town provides. Do we want to go back to the UK? Not at the moment. However a visit to elderly parents will happen at some point. All we need now is our PR visas then we can put down solid roots in Canada. So watch this space for further updates.

Getting There Sep 7th 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Our 6 month plus 2 weeks canniversay

Blimey, time passes quickly doesn't it! For Mr Ross, his canniversary will be coming up in the not too distant future wont it. We know that was tough for you all for him to come out here so far ahead of the rest of you and you all have our endless admiration for coping with that so well and making such great strides to settle into your new lives here. For you, Mrs Ross, you have done so fabulously well to land the job you have...those of us that know the story of the competition you beat to get that job understand what an incredible achievement that was for a relative "newbie".

A little reminder came up in our Calendar today for us to arrange that little Fish and Chips get-together that we spoke of...we'll drop you a line.

Thanks for the mention above. We do what we can. It never feels enough to us but we try and give everyone we help a little headstart on their settling and networking here in the hope it takes away a little of the stress that comes with making such a big move. It's nice to know it's appreciated. :)

Eamonn & Janet.

snoopster Sep 7th 2009 11:47 pm

Happy 6 months honey xxxx
Lots of love from us Stophers 'round the bend' xxxx

The Ross Family Sep 11th 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks guys it has had it's tough bits but we are getting there.

The Ross Family

iaink Sep 11th 2009 12:57 pm

Great post, good luck with the future:fingerscrossed:

gibbos1 Sep 16th 2009 2:29 am

Hi guys,
we've not been on here for an age, got on here tonight and noticed your post.

Looks and sounds like your settling. We've been here for over 8 months now and loving it. There are some dodgy bits, but like you the good far out weight the bad and really the bad, not really bad.

We have a house now, still got our jobs (touch wood) and the kids are settling in grand.

Hoping to get our PR visa's in the post this week (latest next week):eek::eek::rofl::thumbsup:

Hope you are well, speak soon
regards to all,
Carl:thumbup:

Getting There Sep 16th 2009 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by gibbos1 (Post 7934741)
Hi guys,
we've not been on here for an age, got on here tonight and noticed your post.

Looks and sounds like your settling. We've been here for over 8 months now and loving it. There are some dodgy bits, but like you the good far out weight the bad and really the bad, not really bad.

We have a house now, still got our jobs (touch wood) and the kids are settling in grand.

Hoping to get our PR visa's in the post this week (latest next week):eek::eek::rofl::thumbsup:

Hope you are well, speak soon
regards to all,
Carl:thumbup:

Hey Carl,

8 months eh...it's flying by fast. Great to hear that it is going well.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.

gibbos1 Sep 17th 2009 4:02 am

Hiya peeps, long time now see.
I know, gone real fast, we are hoping to get our passports back this week, then we are PR hhhaaayyyyyy:thumbup:

Getting There Sep 17th 2009 4:42 am

Fingers crossed for that Carl.

Eamonn & Janet.

lancashirebird Sep 20th 2009 3:07 am

Great post, wow where has the 6mths gone :ohmy::ohmy:

Glad to see that you have settled, i know those wobbles are bad, especially when the kids get them.
Good luck for the next 6mths :thumbsup:

LB:wub:

ann m Sep 20th 2009 3:19 am

Ah - great update - well done to all of you. Glad to hear it's going well.

Best wishes for another smooth 6 months and 2 weeks :p :thumbsup: