British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   One year in small town Alberta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/one-year-small-town-alberta-801386/)

scheherazade Jun 27th 2013 8:50 pm

One year in small town Alberta

It feels very strange to think that we have only been here a year but last year this time we were on the plane and I was stressing out about whether all the paperwork was in order. In one sense nothing has changed because we put in our AINP application a couple of weeks ago and I'm still stressing about whether all the paperwork is in order!

We are both loving it here. It's marked an improvement in lifestyle for us - working hours are better for the OH, he is way more enthused about his job here than he ever was in England and we feel quite settled. I can't work as a lawyer as you have to be a PR to be admitted to the AB bar so am making the most of the downtime being a temporary housewife/handling the administrative side of OH's work.

We've made a whole host of friends and our social life here is a lot busier than it was in the UK (partly because we're not both exhausted from just working all the time). We've worked hard at it though and we've been fortunate in that the town we've moved to is very friendly. Living in a small town <6000 people has been mostly positive. There is a very active (and often inaccurate) grapevine which can be annoying at times but there is a sense of community that we felt was lacking where we previously lived.

We've survived a very snowy winter - winter tyres, good coats and hats and lots of skiing. Another recent canniversary post talked about the sunshine and how it makes a difference and that is so true.

We miss friends and family (and having our groceries delivered) but skype and whatsapp mean that it isn't too bad. My sister has already visited as have OH's folks - owning an affordable house big enough to host people certainly helps.

All in all, we're definitely glad we took the plunge.

Piff Poff Jun 27th 2013 10:57 pm

Re: One year in small town Alberta

Congratulations on your first year:thumbsup:

Siouxie Jun 28th 2013 2:52 am

Congratulations on your first year - glad to hear you are enjoying life!

:thumbsup:

With regards to getting groceries delivered, there are places that do - though I don't know if they will to the area you are living.

If you want to check, you can look at the webpages on this google link.

:)

Mikeypm Jun 28th 2013 6:31 pm

Congrats on your first year :)

NessieOggy Jun 29th 2013 10:59 pm

Nice to read that you're settling well. Congrats on your first year & cheers to many more!

Mad Jockette Jul 1st 2013 2:09 am

congratulations and good to hear you have settled :)

bcmama Jul 2nd 2013 4:35 am

Congratulations on your first year, sounds like it's all going well

Berto91 Jul 2nd 2013 7:47 am

Lovely story! Best of luck for the future and hopefully the success continues :)

januarymix Jul 2nd 2013 1:53 pm

Sounds wonderful, congratulations.