Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

One year and expected to work 24/7 365 days

One year and expected to work 24/7 365 days

Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year and expected to work 24/7 365 days

Originally Posted by worklifebalance
... but is that page promoted to employee's or employer's? It's the first I or anybody else I know knew of it. It was only by chance I found it embedded within another employment website. If you don't know about it or have to wait for the appeals process then the damage is done as you're not going to get the job for which you're being referenced. They only have to say you were fired not what for - and employers will read between the lines. As you can legally be fired for not being liked it is not hard to ruin someone's career.
I don't believe this is a legitimate government site at all. On the surface it looks like it, but the url is a .ca not .gc.ca as is usual for the govt. departments. The 'contact us' area is just a 2 line form, no phone number or address. The domain whois is registered through Tucows, but no contact info. Govt. domains are not registered in the usual way we do it and do not come up in whois searches at all.

The registration process on the page for employers does not require a business number, which it should do for such registrations and the security protocols for govt. employee services are very strict, much stricter than that.

Employers are bound by privacy laws and have a duty of care with the employee information they hold, no matter what the circumstances. It would be foolish of an employer to publish such information on a website for the world to see. Employers already put the information required into a record of employment. Reporting an employee on this site for an offence that was not prosecuted by law and a conviction obtained would be very risky.

The govt have an anti fraud centre, if you have the patience to try and get through and check it out The govt again are putting lip service to the fight against fraud, but make it hard for one to do, so most likely don't bother.

Report an incident

Last edited by Aviator; Jun 9th 2015 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 9:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Our maintenance guy is expected to be available 24/7, I kind of feel bad for him since he isn't salary, and they complain when he works OT, he just can't win.

I agree with Aviator, no way that website is a government one.

Looking up government domains on who is, you can tell the difference right away, the government websites are not hiding who they are.

The known government sites I checked all have admin contact in the government complete with phone number, email and address, and a technical contact with full contact info.

That website is hiding who they are, and the quality is somewhat poor and I see no French option which obviously would be there if it were a government website on the federal level like its trying to copy.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 11th 2015 at 9:50 am.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It appears it is not a legitimate website. Service Canada, CRA, WCB BC know nothing about it.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 11:47 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Vancouver has the reputation of paying lower wages than Toronto. Despite this, the people I know who are at a "professional" level in IT work (not entry level positions) seem to earn between $85k and $120k and are home for tea every day.
Then they clearly haven't spent the last couple of days trying to get a System Center Operations Manager installation to work.

Originally Posted by Aviator
It appears it is not a legitimate website. Service Canada, CRA, WCB BC know nothing about it.
I did point this out in post #103...
Old Jun 12th 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
I did point this out in post #103...
It would be terrible if you did not get credit for being the first to point it out. Thank you for letting us know.

I am intrigued as to who one could sue and how one would go about it?
Old Jun 12th 2015, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Vancouver has the reputation of paying lower wages than Toronto. Despite this, the people I know who are at a "professional" level in IT work (not entry level positions) seem to earn between $85k and $120k and are home for tea every day.

Since you posted that I've been called by 2 banks in GTA checking if I'm interested in senior positions - paying between 58 - 72k. They want seniors but only willing to pay developer rates. The rates you quote are what I saw last year but this year much lower.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
I am intrigued as to who one could sue and how one would go about it?
Whoever owns the website, which you can find out from Home | Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) They appear to use Netfirms as their host.

Sue them for defamation.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Steve_
Whoever owns the website, which you can find out from Home | Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) They appear to use Netfirms as their host.

Sue them for defamation.
If one checks the Whois lookup, as previously mentioned, there is no contact information for this domain, in CIRA or anyother lookup. It would require a court order presented to the registrar, in this case Tucows to provide that information.

One possibly could sue for libel, but only if any information was proven to be false and would depend on the information made public. There could be a privacy issue, again depending on what employee information was disclosed and if the employer failed in their duty of care.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Since you posted that I've been called by 2 banks in GTA checking if I'm interested in senior positions - paying between 58 - 72k. They want seniors but only willing to pay developer rates. The rates you quote are what I saw last year but this year much lower.

..more enquiries from an insurer who needs a project manager for under 70k and a bank who wants a release manager for under 60k. Thank God I've been able to leave IT as all I can see is salaries crashing. Both of these would have been 90 and beyond last year.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

..more enquiries from an insurer who needs a project manager for under 70k and a bank who wants a release manager for under 60k. Thank God I've been able to leave IT as all I can see is salaries crashing. Both of these would have been 90 and beyond last year.
Not IT, but I've seen ads for hotels wanting managers for 25-30k a year, median income for that position in Canada is mid 60's and up depending on size of hotel.

For my job I am right above the median of 12/hour by a buck, so I can't complain too much since I am more or less topped out in my industry.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not IT, but I've seen ads for hotels wanting managers for 25-30k a year, median income for that position in Canada is mid 60's and up depending on size of hotel.

Split the basement into 3 rooms for homestay students and you can achieve that without leaving home.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I really think there's a better life to be had from working in computers than by setting up a rooming house, not least because the neighbours will eventually object to all those unwashed and damaged illegals in the basement and garage. Still there's no reason why one could not bring home a hundred grand from programming and set up bunk beds in the chicken coop; eventually one wouldn't even have to live in the slum one had created!
Old Jun 16th 2015, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I really think there's a better life to be had from working in computers than by setting up a rooming house, not least because the neighbours will eventually object to all those unwashed and damaged illegals in the basement and garage. Still there's no reason why one could not bring home a hundred grand from programming and set up bunk beds in the chicken coop; eventually one wouldn't even have to live in the slum one had created!

Homestay students are not illegals - they are permitted by Canadian education authorities and have visa's and bring much needed money to Canada. There are regular checks to monitor living conditions. I'm sure when you say illegals you are actually referring to their race and nationality and that certainly does not mean they are unwashed and damaged.

I make over 30k with homestay students and top that up with consultancy work for UK and Chinese IT companies which takes my earnings way above the salaries on offer locally - even the 100k you quote for programmers which I'm not. You only need to go to salary.com, glassdoor.ca, monster.ca and other surveys to find programmers earn way less than you quote. Average salary for programmers is 50-60k.
Old Jun 16th 2015, 3:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure when you say illegals you are actually referring to their race and nationality and that certainly does not mean they are unwashed and damaged.
I've no idea what race or nationality the people stacked in your basement may be. I think it's usual to exploit people from one's home country so I'd guess many of them come from the same place as you but that could be anywhere. Three extra rooms, some unknown number of occupants, no mention of any additional bathrooms; I'll revise "unwashed" to "hygenically challenged".
Old Jun 16th 2015, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've no idea what race or nationality the people stacked in your basement may be. I think it's usual to exploit people from one's home country so I'd guess many of them come from the same place as you but that could be anywhere. Three extra rooms, some unknown number of occupants, no mention of any additional bathrooms; I'll revise "unwashed" to "hygenically challenged".

You should have left it at you had no idea because you don't. You admit your assumption is you believe the occupants are from anywhere but Canada (otherwise how are they illegals?) Your comments were aimed at other nationalities. 3 en-suite rooms is what achieves 3300 per month and that is what we have. The rooms are checked by local education authorities who are guardians of the students.

As for exploitation don't you boast several times on this thread how tough you are making people work very long hours without pay and even fired someone for not answering the phone whilst driving? You seem offended by the fact I found a way not to be exploited by the very methods you use. You are probably one of the recruiters who looks for new immigrants to exploit and don't want somebody like me telling the rest of the Brits what my real experiences were in Canada.

Last edited by worklifebalance; Jun 16th 2015 at 5:56 pm. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.